What's new

FO intentions for the offseason

Collin was good all year though. Our most consistent player (did have a slow start... but the whole team did). I personally think its more of Sexton is close to the same level as Herro/Simons/Garland so why spend to acquire what those guys bring while also marginalizing Collin potentially.
Sexton definitely better than Simons. I would say equal to Herro. Maybe better or equal to Garland?

Sexton definitely better than Simons. I would say equal to Herro. Maybe better or equal to Garland?

I think that's fair....but in the spirit of this thread, are we benching any of those guys last season? I don't think so. Feels like Sexton is a great opportunity that some other team is going to capitalize on.

Sexton is better than Garland. If the Lakers are going to give up a treasure on picks, I would hope that Ainge introduces them to Rich Paul client Colin Sexton. That would be 2 unprotected picks and a removal of the 2027 please. Oh Lakers you can have some 2nd rounder for your troubles.

Oh Cleveland here is one of your picks back plus a Minny pick and a swap back for Darius.

Another team has to see that
Very true. Yet I'm almost to the point where I might attach something too go along with him just to move on. It would be good for us and for him to part ways at this point

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed reading this post

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I think the Jazz will go "big game hunting." However, after they fail to capture any such big game, they'll likely pick up a couple buy-low free agents and recognize that tanking next season is the franchise's best recourse. Guys like Paul George, Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby, etc. probably aren't coming here.

I think the Jazz will go "big game hunting." However, after they fail to capture any such big game, they'll likely pick up a couple buy-low free agents and otherwise recognize that tanking next season is the franchise's best recourse. Guys like Paul George, Pascal Siakam, etc. probably aren't coming here.
A guy I met years ago came up with one of the best negotiation strategies ever... for certain scenarios. He and his brother decided that they could no longer be in a partnership in the family business. The brother who was carrying the most weight knew the other brother wanted to sell and do nothing... but he wanted a lot. So he told him "tell you what... you write down a number and i will tell you if I am a buyer or seller at the price". The negotiation went really quick after that.

That said I think while DA is big game hunting if the price is steep... he may end up deciding he is the seller and not the buyer. DA the value hunter.

I think DA is only “big game hunting” when the media blatantly misquotes him lol.
literally said once we get a couple guys we will be ready to go big game hunting... the qualifier dropped off.

good thread I think we have too many "good" players to tank properly. We'd have to move Lauri, Sexton at least to get to that level and then we'd truly suck for at least half a decade.

I think it's far more likely we extend Lauri and start to actually try, and hope like hell one of the rookies from this year and last explodes.

I also think Ingram is the most likely, the Pels have basically already told him he's not in their plans. Injuries aside and how garbage he was in the playoffs he does have a lot of skills that i think would fit in well.

So most likely extend Lauri, add someone like Ingram, hope Kessler grows some ********* and that the young guys really kick on. I also think the best hope for a top 5 pick in next years good draft is if the Cavs have an utter debacle, Don traded, turmoil and a season ending injury to one of their big guys. The rest of their roster is trash and i'm not a Garland believer so i could see a possibility in that scenario that they could really be bad for a year.

literally said once we get a couple guys we will be ready to go big game hunting... the qualifier dropped off.

Yeah it’s funny because if you took his word for it, the takeaway would be that we will not be looking for a win now player. He said very clearly that reason why we didn’t trade the role players earlier is because we needed them for “almost guy”. Well it stands to reason that we don’t have a team ready for almost guy now that they are gone.

Either way…idc what Danny says. If he actually was transparent about everything we’re doing he would be doing the wrong thing. I believe it that we went after Kristaps/Kuzma/Herro/Jrue. I suspect we’re still looking for that kind of guy this off season.

I don’t love it.

Probabilistically, if you trade Lauri and tank for the next two years (no guarantees) and draft high versus build through trades, which has a more likely championship outcome?

And I know this isn't a tank thread or what do you want them to do etc. BUT one of the things that people don't like about tanking is the whole "you won't be good for 45 years". One thing I have considered is if we did trade Lauri and just collect as many good young players as we can the next two years... you end up having infinity cap space. If you did hit on a couple picks you'd have a ton of space to go fill in the vet stuff you want while they grow. I know, I know... our cap space doesn't mean anything.... players go where they can get paid. We can also take on salary from these teams that yolo'd everything and now the bill is coming due. I think the turnaround could be quicker than people think. Already have some young players in the pipeline... it just seems like such a better path atm.

good thread I think we have too many "good" players to tank properly. We'd have to move Lauri, Sexton at least to get to that level and then we'd truly suck for at least half a decade.

I think it's far more likely we extend Lauri and start to actually try, and hope like hell one of the rookies from this year and last explodes.

I also think Ingram is the most likely, the Pels have basically already told him he's not in their plans. Injuries aside and how garbage he was in the playoffs he does have a lot of skills that i think would fit in well.

So most likely extend Lauri, add someone like Ingram, hope Kessler grows some ********* and that the young guys really kick on. I also think the best hope for a top 5 pick in next years good draft is if the Cavs have an utter debacle, Don traded, turmoil and a season ending injury to one of their big guys. The rest of their roster is trash and i'm not a Garland believer so i could see a possibility in that scenario that they could really be bad for a year.
Yeah I'm holding hope that one or more of our rookies can make a visible 2nd year jump. Keyonte seems like the most likely since he had the most difficult task and most minutes last season, but I think there were enough positive signs about Brice and Hendricks that suggested they may become NBA players.

Also while Kessler had a bad year it wasnt actually that much worse statistically to his rookie year... so the bad year was really more about the lack of expected growth and seemed to be about mental stuff. Centers are traditional the slowest to adapt so I'm not counting him out.

I would be sort of scratching my head if we were to trade for some guy whose ceiling is 2nd-3rd best player caliber guy... as I feel like Lauri and Sexton are at that level and Keyonte has potential to reach that level. I think that it makes sense in terms of gearing up assets for a bigger move, but it would also be pretty committal in terms of cap space flexibility. The FO seems to value flexibility on cap/contract side of things, and we need to extend Lauri shortly and Sexton a year or so later.... so if we traded for or signed someone like Ingram, Birdges or Giddey... we would lose the cap flexiblity for the forseeable future (unless we also manage to ship away JCs or something without taking long term salary back).

And I know this isn't a tank thread or what do you want them to do etc. BUT one of the things that people don't like about tanking is the whole "you won't be good for 45 years". One thing I have considered is if we did trade Lauri and just collect as many good young players as we can the next two years... you end up having infinity cap space. If you did hit on a couple picks you'd have a ton of space to go fill in the vet stuff you want while they grow. I know, I know... our cap space doesn't mean anything.... players go where they can get paid. We can also take on salary from these teams that yolo'd everything and now the bill is coming due. I think the turnaround could be quicker than people think. Already have some young players in the pipeline... it just seems like such a better path atm.
I think the main point I wanted to make wasnt to disqualify tanking discussions, but more like focus on the FO signals. Tanking is on a lot of peoples wishlist here, but I havent seen much out of our FO that they would actually do it.

So this wasnt created as a safe space and quite frankly I'm actually pretty favourable to "tank with Lauri" concept compared to the other options.

Yeah I'm holding hope that one or more of our rookies can make a visible 2nd year jump. Keyonte seems like the most likely since he had the most difficult task and most minutes last season, but I think there were enough positive signs about Brice and Hendricks that suggested they may become NBA players.

Also while Kessler had a bad year it wasnt actually that much worse statistically to his rookie year... so the bad year was really more about the lack of expected growth and seemed to be about mental stuff. Centers are traditional the slowest to adapt so I'm not counting him out.

I would be sort of scratching my head if we were to trade for some guy whose ceiling is 2nd-3rd best player caliber guy... as I feel like Lauri and Sexton are at that level and Keyonte has potential to reach that level. I think that it makes sense in terms of gearing up assets for a bigger move, but it would also be pretty committal in terms of cap space flexibility. The FO seems to value flexibility on cap/contract side of things, and we need to extend Lauri shortly and Sexton a year or so later.... so if we traded for or signed someone like Ingram, Birdges or Giddey... we would lose the cap flexiblity for the forseeable future (unless we also manage to ship away JCs or something without taking long term salary back).

agreed. I really hope we move JC I can't see the point of having him on the team. I'm quite hopeful on Hendricks too, he improved so much as the year went on

I think the main point I wanted to make wasnt to disqualify tanking discussions, but more like focus on the FO signals. Tanking is on a lot of peoples wishlist here, but I havent seen much out of our FO that they would actually do it.

So this wasnt created as a safe space and quite frankly I'm actually pretty favourable to "tank with Lauri" concept compared to the other options.

Yeah, tanking without Lauri is a for fun only discussion. There has been no smoke around any "trade Lauri" options. So whether you like it or not, I think 95%+ of the potential outcomes of this off season include Lauri. IMO, his renegotiation and extension is a already a done deal. I think the bigger decisions that have a chance of going either way are what we do with Sexton/Kessler and if we intend to pursue more "almost guys" like Miles Bridges. Given the options available and the state of the west, I don't think Lauri+all young players (Lauri+tank) is that bad and I also think it's somewhat realistic.

Yeah, tanking without Lauri is a for fun only discussion. There has been no smoke around any "trade Lauri" options. So whether you like it or not, I think 95%+ of the potential outcomes of this off season include Lauri. IMO, his renegotiation and extension is a already a done deal. I think the bigger decisions that have a chance of going either way are what we do with Sexton/Kessler and if we intend to pursue more "almost guys" like Miles Bridges. Given the options available and the state of the west, I don't think Lauri+all young players (Lauri+tank) is that bad and I also think it's somewhat realistic.
I also think the midseason smoke around Lauri was more based on the assumption that since we are sellers, he could be had. And I bet they got calls for him, but it felt like no discussion ensued and all rumors were very initial or based on hypothetical stuff.

I also think the midseason smoke around Lauri was more based on the assumption that since we are sellers, he could be had. And I bet they got calls for him, but it felt like no discussion ensued and all rumors were very initial or based on hypothetical stuff.

I’m not sure I can remember any real rumors about a Lauri trade. Even if we don’t believe Lauri is on the “timeline” or whatever, I still think the FO will want to extend him first. Right now, the buyers who can renegotiate+extend have an extra interest in Lauri, but if he’s on a long term deal that obviously makes many more teams feel good about bidding for him.

With the flattened lottery odds, I just don’t think it’s paramount that you get the very bottom even if you want to build through the draft.