What's new

FO intentions for the offseason

I guess it depends on who we trade for. Here would be my rough ranking from highest to lowest cost:

Trae Young
Darius Garland
Brandon Ingram
Tyler Herro
Anfernee Simons
Kyle Kuzma
Dejounte Murray
Zach Lavine
Jerami Grant
Demar Derozan (possible FA or S&T deal)

Dejounte is way too low. I think he would cost more than everyone besides Young.

I do have an issue with building the team trying to fit pieces in to what we have.

Besides Lauri, we have a bunch of question marks and nothing else. No one else on the team should inform any decisions for other players we try to acquire imo.
Yes and no. If we are building from the middle I do think some care should be taken for fit. Like if a guy doesn't fit well with Sexton now then he likely isn't a great fit with Key. We want our young players to play and progress as well. Getting Simons (who I like) kind of slows Key's development.

if they get Herro/Simons or someone else I would hope they move JC/Sexton. Like we don't want a Collins situation where he doesn't mesh with Kessler/Lauri and now you are hamstrung a bit. We have to consider winning and the full asset base of the franchise imo. With the draft I am mostly just bpa. With trades I think you have to consider fit a bit more with whatever pieces you are developing or hope to have long term. You can sort some of it later.

Yes and no. If we are building from the middle I do think some care should be taken for fit. Like if a guy doesn't fit well with Sexton now then he likely isn't a great fit with Key. We want our young players to play and progress as well. Getting Simons (who I like) kind of slows Key's development.

if they get Herro/Simons or someone else I would hope they move JC/Sexton. Like we don't want a Collins situation where he doesn't mesh with Kessler/Lauri and now you are hamstrung a bit. We have to consider winning and the full asset base of the franchise imo. With the draft I am mostly just bpa. With trades I think you have to consider fit a bit more with whatever pieces you are developing or hope to have long term. You can sort some of it later.
I just don't see Sexton or Key as dudes you have to make sure you reserve a big role for them in the team of the future. Let them earn that with their play.

Slowing Key's development could also be called giving Key less chucker leash, and making him learn how to fit within a team that is trying and hopefully succeeding at winning some basketball games.

I just don't see Sexton or Key as dudes you have to make sure you reserve a big role for them in the team of the future. Let them earn that with their play.

Slowing Key's development could also be called giving Key less chucker leash, and making him learn how to fit within a team that is trying and hopefully succeeding at winning some basketball games.
I think Sexton has earned that already, which is why I wouldn't necessarily love a move for Simons, Herro, Garland... unless you are getting something for him in another deal.

Keyonte can come off the bench and grow... I wouldn't disagree much there. Its just if you have Sexton and Herro as your starting backcourt does that help the team win? Does it help the others increase their value? IDK.

Everything depends on price for me. I wonder if Chicago is so done with Lavine that they would do a deal for Collins and JC straight up. I don't love it but it is a boom or bust type deal that if he's hurt or sucks then you end up having a good draft pick. If he's awesome you bought low on a guy that truly changed his value.

I like Lauri and would much rather have a very good player on my team than not. And some of the recent tanking criticisms I've read are actually pretty convincing. I want to root for a decent team again, not feeling picky.

That said, in regards to

This just feels so utterly unlikely/impossible that it hardly qualifies as a plan. I don't think anyone can name any player who is actually better than Lauri and could be acquired, even if we offered every prime asset in the war chest. So that 'plan' just rings completely hollow to me. I think best case (never gonna happen) scenario would be like Paul George saying he wants to play for us, even then, he's not as good as Lauri. If we get to the Trae Young, Brandon Ingram etc. players, obviously not better than Lauri, or superstars, so that's a different category.
Im personally more on "tank with Lauri" team as I dont really buy into this "build up value and cash at DL" plan ....but I made this thread to see if others read the tea leaves differently.

I got a feeling that tanking with Lauri is not plan A or even B... and selling Lauri is not even on the board (thus giving it that Wild Card -status).

I think Sexton has earned that already, which is why I wouldn't necessarily love a move for Simons, Herro, Garland... unless you are getting something for him in another deal.

Keyonte can come off the bench and grow... I wouldn't disagree much there. Its just if you have Sexton and Herro as your starting backcourt does that help the team win? Does it help the others increase their value? IDK.

Everything depends on price for me. I wonder if Chicago is so done with Lavine that they would do a deal for Collins and JC straight up. I don't love it but it is a boom or bust type deal that if he's hurt or sucks then you end up having a good draft pick. If he's awesome you bought low on a guy that truly changed his value.
That's where we would differ. I don't reserve a starting backcourt spot for Sexton on the team of the future based on a good stretch with an atrocious team. But reasonable people can disagree.

I do agree with taking a big swing if the price and opportunity are there.

That's where we would differ. I don't reserve a starting backcourt spot for Sexton on the team of the future based on a good stretch with an atrocious team. But reasonable people can disagree.

I do agree with taking a big swing if the price and opportunity are there.
Collin was good all year though. Our most consistent player (did have a slow start... but the whole team did). I personally think its more of Sexton is close to the same level as Herro/Simons/Garland so why spend to acquire what those guys bring while also marginalizing Collin potentially.

Collin was good all year though. Our most consistent player (did have a slow start... but the whole team did). I personally think its more of Sexton is close to the same level as Herro/Simons/Garland so why spend to acquire what those guys bring while also marginalizing Collin potentially.

This is good rationale, but in the spirit of thread and considering what the FO will do instead of should do....I can see it happening.

I really hope you're right.

This is good rationale, but in the spirit of thread and considering what the FO will do instead of should do....I can see it happening.
IDK... it sounds like they have some buyer's remorse on John Collins. So maybe they won't just acquire guys cuz they are available. Maybe they consider everything? Unlike my tank mode deals I think its reasonable they might look at those guys and say "not quite what we are looking for".

I could see moving Collin in a deal for one of those types if they prefer the player and playstyle.

IDK... it sounds like they have some buyer's remorse on John Collins. So maybe they won't just acquire guys cuz they are available. Maybe they consider everything? Unlike my tank mode deals I think its reasonable they might look at those guys and say "not quite what we are looking for".

I could see moving Collin in a deal for one of those types if they prefer the player and playstyle.

I think they want to get better. There has been pretty much zero smoke around them doing otherwise and doing tank mode deals. I think they want a player of Herro/Garland/Simons caliber....but it's unclear if they think Sexton is that good. If I had to bet, I don't think they do. If I had to speculate on the FO's opinion of Collin I would say they don't care for him too much.

Leaving out personal opinions of players and strictly thinking about what FO wants, I think it is more likely they go for a Grant/Kuzma/Bridges/Ingram. But not because of Sexton, because of Keyonte. Sexton may or may not be traded if we acquire an "almost guy" who is a non-small. They probably see Sexton as a 6th man, and maybe he's willing to do that, but they probably also see Jordan Clarkson as their 6th man so I'd say it's more likely we get someone like Kuzma and trade Sexton.

List of "almost guys" the FO could be targetting:

Ingram
Miles Bridges
Trae Young
Dejounte Murray
Tyler Herro
Jerami Grant
Anfernee Simons
Darius Garland
Zach Lavine
Demar Derozan
Kyle Kuzma
I don't really want any of those dudes...... But if we get one I will talk myself into liking them

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on who we trade for. Here would be my rough ranking from highest to lowest cost:

Trae Young
Darius Garland
Brandon Ingram
Tyler Herro
Anfernee Simons
Kyle Kuzma
Dejounte Murray
Zach Lavine
Jerami Grant
Demar Derozan (possible FA or S&T deal)
If that is accurate then I say go for Simons. Though I worry that he is just Jordan Clarkson

That's a good point

I think they want to get better. There has been pretty much zero smoke around them doing otherwise and doing tank mode deals. I think they want a player of Herro/Garland/Simons caliber....but it's unclear if they think Sexton is that good. If I had to bet, I don't think they do. If I had to speculate on the FO's opinion of Collin I would say they don't care for him too much.

Leaving out personal opinions of players and strictly thinking about what FO wants, I think it is more likely they go for a Grant/Kuzma/Bridges/Ingram. But not because of Sexton, because of Keyonte. Sexton may or may not be traded if we acquire an "almost guy" who is a non-small. They probably see Sexton as a 6th man, and maybe he's willing to do that, but they probably also see Jordan Clarkson as their 6th man so I'd say it's more likely we get someone like Kuzma and trade Sexton.
I really hope they don't see Clarkson as their 6th man. I hope they see him as on another team

Agreed. I'm not giving up assets to "upgrade" from Sexton to a Herro/Simons/Garland type who all make at least double what Sexton is making on his current contract. I was looking up our current guys over at the CraftedNBA site and Sexton's offensive number are eye popping and compare to HOF types. Of course the defense is another story but none of these scoring guards are any good defensively.

Now if they want to bring in a bigger guard I can see the logic in that but there's no way I'm trading Sexton + picks/prospects for Herro, Simons, or Garland types. To me Garland is another SG masquerading as a PG who can't even finish at the rim. I'd just rather keep Keyonte in an offball role/secondary playmaker type and eventually bring in a bigger PG who can play with him and Sexton, assuming they keep one or both of them long term where one comes off the bench.