What's new

FO intentions for the offseason

HermanG

First off, I hope this thread sparks discussion that focuses around the likely preferences our FO has, instead of people pushing their own narratives about what they hope or what they think the team should do.

So I read the tea leaves like this:
1) Get that superstar to pair with Lauri and build the team up
2a) Tinker with value and contracts to take care of the cap and keep the team in position to execute option #1
2b) Agree for a temp tank with Lauri, and tank with him

Wild Card: Trade Lauri and enter deep tank realms.

Before I get to the 1-2a/b parts, I wanna justify why trading Lauri is not an actual plan but a wild card. That is because I think there is plenty of first hand evidence that Lauri is happy in Utah and cool with the rebuild strategy, and on the other hand there is just mostly silence on the "shopping Lauri" front. There were next to zero "Jazz are having discussions" or "Team X has interest" reports related to Lauri during last deadline, despite the early reports that we may have been open to the idea. To me that tells that either they didnt get calls or the discussions died fast. Now I'm betting its the latter, and the only way trade discussions die fast is that either our FO didnt want to discuss those things to begin with, or the asking price vs offers were so far apart that there was no point in continuing to discuss.

For those actual plans, I think #1 has to be as stated because the FO has been very adamant with the media about it. Smoke and mirrors theories dont really make sense since I dont think other GMs give a flying bleep about what we are looking to do at this current stage. You dont lie to the media just to lie to the media. I mean sure, keeping fanbase engaged an all that is important.... but if you would all of a sudden enter a deep tank then that lying SURELY backfires as you had just set expectations the other way around.

However I'm not sure about 2a or 2b. 2a is more on the line of what they have done thus far, but I sensed a change of direction in this trade DL as we moved away from some guys who had a chance to be future contributors and long term pieces for us and didnt seem to get that much value back. It felt like "naah, we arent gonna pay these guys in the offseason so might as well let them go". That notion doesnt make sense for 2a as I felt like Tech especially was likely gonna build up his trade value for the future if we kept him and signed him at around MLE level deal (or whatever he is going to get). Capspace-wise, it did make sense to trade him though.

I would agree that this is the general message that the FO has given us.

I would add that they seem to be looking for multiple guys via trade, and it seems like they might not feel like they are ready for the superstar trade immediately.

First off, I hope this thread sparks discussion that focuses around the likely preferences our FO has, instead of people pushing their own narratives about what they hope or what they think the team should do.

So I read the tea leaves like this:
2a) Tinker with value and contracts to take care of the cap and keep the team in position to execute option #1
2b) Agree for a temp tank with Lauri, and tank with him

Wild Card: Trade Lauri and enter deep tank realms.

Before I get to the 1-2a/b parts, I wanna justify why trading Lauri is not an actual plan but a wild card. That is because I think there is plenty of first hand evidence that Lauri is happy in Utah and cool with the rebuild strategy, and on the other hand there is just mostly silence on the "shopping Lauri" front. There were next to zero "Jazz are having discussions" or "Team X has interest" reports related to Lauri during last deadline, despite the early reports that we may have been open to the idea. To me that tells that either they didnt get calls or the discussions died fast. Now I'm betting its the latter, and the only way trade discussions die fast is that either our FO didnt want to discuss those things to begin with, or the asking price vs offers were so far apart that there was no point in continuing to discuss.

For those actual plans, I think #1 has to be as stated because the FO has been very adamant with the media about it. Smoke and mirrors theories dont really make sense since I dont think other GMs give a flying bleep about what we are looking to do at this current stage. You dont lie to the media just to lie to the media. I mean sure, keeping fanbase engaged an all that is important.... but if you would all of a sudden enter a deep tank then that lying SURELY backfires as you had just set expectations the other way around.

However I'm not sure about 2a or 2b. 2a is more on the line of what they have done thus far, but I sensed a change of direction in this trade DL as we moved away from some guys who had a chance to be future contributors and long term pieces for us and didnt seem to get that much value back. It felt like "naah, we arent gonna pay these guys in the offseason so might as well let them go". That notion doesnt make sense for 2a as I felt like Tech especially was likely gonna build up his trade value for the future if we kept him and signed him at around MLE level deal (or whatever he is going to get). Capspace-wise, it did make sense to trade him though.
Everything is on the table. DA will follow the opportunities. Whether that’s as a buyer or seller.

I like Lauri and would much rather have a very good player on my team than not. And some of the recent tanking criticisms I've read are actually pretty convincing. I want to root for a decent team again, not feeling picky.

That said, in regards to

This just feels so utterly unlikely/impossible that it hardly qualifies as a plan. I don't think anyone can name any player who is actually better than Lauri and could be acquired, even if we offered every prime asset in the war chest. So that 'plan' just rings completely hollow to me. I think best case (never gonna happen) scenario would be like Paul George saying he wants to play for us, even then, he's not as good as Lauri. If we get to the Trae Young, Brandon Ingram etc. players, obviously not better than Lauri, or superstars, so that's a different category.

I like Lauri and would much rather have a very good player on my team than not. And some of the recent tanking criticisms I've read are actually pretty convincing. I want to root for a decent team again, not feeling picky.

That said, in regards to

This just feels so utterly unlikely/impossible that it hardly qualifies as a plan. I don't think anyone can name any player who is actually better than Lauri and could be acquired, even if we offered every prime asset in the war chest. So that 'plan' just rings completely hollow to me. I think best case (never gonna happen) scenario would be like Paul George saying he wants to play for us, even then, he's not as good as Lauri. If we get to the Trae Young, Brandon Ingram etc. players, obviously not better than Lauri, or superstars, so that's a different category.
Agreed.

I think the best case scenario for us (if unlikely) is we keep Lauri and Sexton and somehow get a top 3 pick in next year's draft. Though that means next season would be full of losses which sucks.
Then in the 25-26 season we really go hard at improving the team by using our warchest.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

One thing that would help me tremendously with the middle build strategy is finding a way to get rid of the pick obligation to OKC. In our mock I suggested that we send them 10 for 12. I am not sure what it would take but if they wanted their guy they might have interest in that type of thing. Likely need to add more. Making some moves to improve the team that cause us to lose the 11th -15th pick or whatever just seems less palatable. And if we are in a position where we are somewhere in the 8-12 range DA will be tempted to pull the plug.

If we can get a "get out of jail free" card I would pursue it if the costs were okay. I can get behind a middle build where if we are in the play in we keep our 10-14 pick as you can get lucky there.

If I had to guess on what’s most likely, I would say that our offseason includes renegotiating and extending Lauri and we acquire some “star” between the levels of Bridges and Ingram.

I don’t really care what Ainge himself says, but the smoke from Lauri being traded has been almost 100% for fun and any and every reporter believes the Jazz want to move forward. Chances we “full blown tank” and trade Lauri are extremely slim. In order of likelihood I’d say:

1) We acquire some player and try to be better next season.
2) We run back most of the group we have and tank w/Lauri. Sexton could still be traded.

Both above conclude R+E Lauri.

75. We full blown tank, trade Lauri.

If I had to guess on what’s most likely, I would say that our offseason includes renegotiating and extending Lauri and we acquire some “star” between the levels of Bridges and Ingram.

I don’t really care what Ainge himself says, but the smoke from Lauri being traded has been almost 100% for fun and any and every reporter believes the Jazz want to move forward. Chances we “full blown tank” and trade Lauri are extremely slim. In order of likelihood I’d say:

1) We acquire some player and try to be better next season.
2) We run back most of the group we have and tank w/Lauri. Sexton could still be traded.

Both above conclude R+E Lauri.

75. We full blown tank, trade Lauri.
I agree with the sentiment here... just feels like Lauri and full tank should be higher on the hierarchy to me. It depends on the price but I actually expect a VERY meh offseason that leaves many super frustrated. Like extend Lauri. Make maybe one draft night deal to consolidate or move up. Trade JC. Make maybe one signing of note. I would guess...

65% at some version of the mid *** offseason
20% chance at some second tier star or somewhat meaningful trade
12% chance at some version of a tank move of the Sexton/Kessler variety
3% chance someone gets stupid with a Lauri offer and we go full tank. I think it would be Houston. I think it would also mean we like Smith Jr. or Green more than some here might. I think it would be like #3, Smith Jr., Brooklyn pick in 2026, and one more asset of note.

One thing that would help me tremendously with the middle build strategy is finding a way to get rid of the pick obligation to OKC. In our mock I suggested that we send them 10 for 12. I am not sure what it would take but if they wanted their guy they might have interest in that type of thing. Likely need to add more. Making some moves to improve the team that cause us to lose the 11th -15th pick or whatever just seems less palatable. And if we are in a position where we are somewhere in the 8-12 range DA will be tempted to pull the plug.

If we can get a "get out of jail free" card I would pursue it if the costs were okay. I can get behind a middle build where if we are in the play in we keep our 10-14 pick as you can get lucky there.
I think OKC adds +6 to any pick offer in 2024 compared to 2025. If we offered the 10th, OKC would think is it better than the 16th pick next year? And what is the likelihood. Presti may want to squeeze for every ounce of value and may want something extra to deal.

I think OKC adds +6 to any pick offer in 2024 compared to 2025. If we offered the 10th, OKC would think is it better than the 16th pick next year? And what is the likelihood. Presti may want to squeeze for every ounce of value and may want something extra to deal.
Yeah I think he'd just wait it out... Just thought maybe if he gets excited about someone at 10 that won't be there at 12. It would likely have to be something bigger. Probably can't entice him unless he really believes we aren't going to be good enough for the pick to convey.

Chances of happening:

Lauri renegotiation and extension - 95%
Lauri trade - 3%
Sexton trade - 50%
Kessler trade - 50%
If Sexton/Kessler traded, for future facing assets - 25%
Clarkson trade - 25%
Collins trade - 15%

"Almost guy" trade/acquisition - 50%
Tanking, except for Lauri - 20%
Same team more or less - 20%
Full blown tank - 3%
Jesus returns - 2%
Superstar acquisition - 1%

List of "almost guys" the FO could be targetting:

Ingram
Miles Bridges
Trae Young
Dejounte Murray
Tyler Herro
Jerami Grant
Anfernee Simons
Darius Garland
Zach Lavine
Demar Derozan
Kyle Kuzma

List of "almost guys" the FO could be targetting:

Ingram
Trae Young
Dejounte Murray
Tyler Herro
Jerami Grant
Anfernee Simons
Darius Garland
Zach Lavine
Demar Derozan
Kyle Kuzma
Definitely a few interesting names, I deleted the "hell no's"

How many assets are we cashing in to get one? If it's a good deal, I am totally fine with adding one of the above dudes and not going completely in the toilet next year and just building from there. Especially if it's Garland or Simons. But those dudes won't come cheap.

Definitely a few interesting names, I deleted the "hell no's"

How many assets are we cashing in to get one? If it's a good deal, I am totally fine with adding one of the above dudes and not going completely in the toilet next year and just building from there. Especially if it's Garland or Simons. But those dudes won't come cheap.

I guess it depends on who we trade for. Here would be my rough ranking from highest to lowest cost:

Trae Young
Darius Garland
Brandon Ingram
Tyler Herro
Anfernee Simons
Kyle Kuzma
Dejounte Murray
Zach Lavine
Jerami Grant
Demar Derozan (possible FA or S&T deal)

I guess it depends on who we trade for. Here would be my rough ranking from highest to lowest cost:

Trae Young
Darius Garland
Brandon Ingram
Tyler Herro
Anfernee Simons
Kyle Kuzma
Dejounte Murray
Zach Lavine
Jerami Grant
Derozan would be a really interesting veteran presence/scorer to add to the team. I'd be fine with that.

Trae Young
Darius Garland
Brandon Ingram
Tyler Herro
Anfernee Simons
Kyle Kuzma
Dejounte Murray
Zach Lavine
Jerami Grant
Would probably have Dejounte above Herro personally. Kuzma's price is approximately what Dallas paid for Washington. He was supposedly headed there and said no thanks. That might be a price I'd be willing to pay.

So many guys don't necessarily fit with what Sexton is or what Key is projected to be.

Yeah I think he'd just wait it out... Just thought maybe if he gets excited about someone at 10 that won't be there at 12. It would likely have to be something bigger. Probably can't entice him unless he really believes we aren't going to be good enough for the pick to convey.
Presti has shown to be willing to be aggressive when he has a target so it is certainly a possibility. Particularly if he thinks there is a 50/50 chance that our 1st never conveys which I think is probably the odds with how stacked the west is and I would expect it to look even more stacked in a few months when we see teams like the warriors and lakers make one last desperate win now move to appease their aging stars.

So many guys don't necessarily fit with what Sexton is or what Key is projected to be.
I do have an issue with building the team trying to fit pieces in to what we have.

Besides Lauri, we have a bunch of question marks and nothing else. No one else on the team should inform any decisions for other players we try to acquire imo.

Jazz will make extending Lauri a high priority even if their goal is to trade him. Once he's extended, the Jazz can demand a lot for him.