What's new

Following 2016 potential draftees

The two players that are potentially available at 12 that I want are Deyonta Davis and DMurray. Now I am starting to think both will be gone.

If those two players are in the top ten, then someones gotta fall and the players I think that could fall lower than currently projected are Hield (7-11, Baldwin (10 or lower), Bender (7-11) and Poeltl (6-14).

I am starting to think that if Davis and DMurray are gone before 12, that we trade down.

If Davis and D. Murray go before 12, that means that Poeltl or Skal (most likely Poeltl) will fall to 12. I have a hard time believing that's the scenario. I'm not as high on Davis as others.

Hornets supposedly love Thon Maker. Their 22 pick has to be his absolute floor. I think he's gone in the 15 - 18 range though.

I'm now getting excited about Dejounte Murray and Furkan Korkmaz. I think the Jazz come away with one of those two.

maybe I'm missing something with DMurray, but I feel like there are players like him in every draft class. His change of pace and direction is nice, but I can't get excited about drafting him.

maybe I'm missing something with DMurray, but I feel like there are players like him in every draft class. His change of pace and direction is nice, but I can't get excited about drafting him.

You get excited about D.Murray for the same reasons you get excited about Exum: tall, long PG, electric athlete. Truthfully, Murray has less IQ, but he's got more preternatural feel for the game than Exum, imo. He can get by virtually anybody in front of him and make a play. You just wonder if he'll be able to shoot and you wonder about his ability to gain good weight. Same as Exum.

It's an upside pick, and he has more upside than Baldwin or even Richardson. He's on a higher tier than Tony Wroten and Delon Wright in terms of play-making ability and shiftiness.

You get excited about D.Murray for the same reasons you get excited about Exum: tall, long PG, electric athlete. Truthfully, Murray has less IQ, but he's got more preternatural feel for the game than Exum, imo. He can get by virtually anybody in front of him and make a play. You just wonder if he'll be able to shoot and you wonder about his ability to gain good weight. Same as Exum.

It's an upside pick, and he has more upside than Baldwin or even Richardson. He's on a higher tier than Tony Wroten and Delon Wright in terms of play-making ability and shiftiness.

I don't see the same ceiling for Murray as I see/saw for Exum. I was pretty hyped on Exum well before his draft.

It appears we also disagree on Baldwin's ceiling

Here's an updated Catchall Big Board for the top 20 players divided into chunks of 4 players:

Simmons
Ingram
J. Murray
Bender

Dunn
Chriss
Brown
Hield

Skal
Poeltl
D. Murray
Davis

Korkmaz
Baldwin
Zizic
Ellenson

Sabonis
Richardson
Maker
Bembry

Diallo
Jackson
Luwawu
Prince

I don't see the same ceiling for Murray as I see/saw for Exum. I was pretty hyped on Exum well before his draft.

Maybe I'm sleeping on Baldwin. I just don't think he's versatile or shifty enough to be a top-15 starting PG, and I don't think he's big and offensively talented enough to be a top-15 SG. I think he's probably a back up on a good team.

Maker probably goes late teens.

Skal and Poeltl are probably both gone by 12 unless Deyonta Davis throws a wrench. I'd be surprised if Sabonis goes before us.

I think there is a good chance that the Jazz take a swing on Dejounte Murray. The upside is legit and it could be enough to put Murray ahead of Korkmaz and Davis. I wouldn't overlook Ellenson as a sleeper pick stretch 5. I'm surprised he hasn't worked out for us. Richardson remains a possibility, but I don't get the sense that the Jazz are in love with him.

I think the problem with Ellenson is his mobility. The playoffs the last years are showing how important positional flexibility and perimeter defense are in order to be usable as a big. That could scare ppl to take him early. The fear could be that teams think he's a good big that will bring them to the playoffs when schemes aren't as advances when it comes to exploiting a player's weakness to bully him off the floor(other than hack-a-...)

The two players that are potentially available at 12 that I want are Deyonta Davis and DMurray. Now I am starting to think both will be gone.

If those two players are in the top ten, then someones gotta fall and the players I think that could fall lower than currently projected are Hield (7-11, Baldwin (10 or lower), Bender (7-11) and Poeltl (6-14).

I am starting to think that if Davis and DMurray are gone before 12, that we trade down.

I don't see Bender lasting until 7. He's too skilled, too young, too much upside for someone to pass up.

Call me crazy, but does anybody else get the feeling the Jazz have a guy in mind and are playing coy this year?

Fair point. I agree that DMurray has a much higher ceiling than Dunn.

Remember, Dunn wasn't even on the radar of NBA scouts until his Jr year.

Dunn has worked hard to get to this point. I hope that DMurray has the same work ethic.

As a side note, Dunn would not be drafted this high is most other drafts.
Just curious, but where do u think This year's Dunn would've gone in last year's draft? Also, stronger draft this one or last year's?
Thon Maker workouts...

Charlotte ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RclHBIC1Rc0

Shooting/footwork ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaPxvoz8iv0

Love me some Thon. Would love to trade down a few spots to draft him and pick up another asset, though I doubt anyone is dumb enough to give a 17 first. My main concern with him is strength at finishing and getting the ball slapped out.
How high do u think Baldwin's ceiling is, and where do u think it will realistically end up?
Call me crazy, but does anybody else get the feeling the Jazz have a guy in mind and are playing coy this year?

I do. Call me crazy but I think it's Poltl.

Something that really bugged me about Dejounte Murray - he wasn't even the primary ball handler/scorer on Washington last year(Andrew Andrews) and yet he still lead the entire Pac-12 in turnovers. Combine that with the horrible efficiency - stemmed from poor shot selection and also considering that he's not being a good defensive player(In fact he is bad). I think he made a mistake leaving early and I don't know how patient I can be with this guy.

Walt Perrin's face lit up on that KSL Draft Preview when they mentioned Korkmaz. He's a 6'8" lights-out shooter who could even play spot minutes at the 1. Unless he gets killed on defense, he'd be a good fit for the Jazz. If Poeltl drops to 12, I think the Jazz would probably have to take him. I just think that's unlikely. I can't quite buy in on Deyonta Davis, and I don't think that's our guy, even though he's in our range.

I think the jazz draft d murray

If you compare Dejounte Murray's efficiency stats with other similar freshman guards that have made the jump he's at the bottom of the list. People claim that he can just blow past guys, well he sure didn't show it in college, I know a lot of UW fans complained that he was settling on jump shots way too much while never attacking the paint and they also complained that he came across as being a selfish player.

I agree. What's the difference between DMurray and Tony Wroten?