What's new

Following potential 2013 draftees

What do you all think is the overall estimation of this draft classes overall talent and depth?

What I am getting at is do you think the Jazz could combine their two draft picks and maybe Marvin for a draft pick capable of landing Burke who I have read is possibly a top 10. Will teams bite at that offer this year unlike last years attempts to move up?

Adetokunbo > Karasev > Saric.

Basically my rankings are the exact opposite of DX.

Here's a little info on why I have them ranked the way I do.

Adetokunbo is actually one of my favorite players in the draft. He has elite size, and great versatility. There's a high chance that he will continue to grow, but even if he doesn't, he still has great, great size. Good ball handler for his age/position, and is greatly aided by his large hands. As Jazz fans, we should know all about how much large hands can make a difference (Stockton). He's able to get to the rim well, mainly due to a nice little hesitation move that is incredibly effective due to his ability to take large strides and get to the rim quickly. He won't blow by anybody, but he can definitely get to the rim and finish/draw a foul. Very valuable skill that ALWAYS translates to the next level. Creates well, and definitely looks to pass the ball a lot. He'd fit in well with Hayward in that respect. Needs a lot of work on his shot IMO, but he's 18/19 and that can be worked on. Doesn't seem to have much of a mid-range game, but everything else he does well. On defense, it seems like he lacks some lateral quickness, but can make up for it with his large wingspan, much like Kevin Durant does. If I had to make a comparison, (and don't worry PKM, I hate comparisons too), I would actually compare him to a former player of ours. He has the potential to be better than Andre Kirilenko. That's a huge value. Plus, think of the defensive lineup we could have with him. We'll have Burks at PG because we have nobody else, and I don't like to speculate on any other free agents/rookies. Burks/Hayward/Greek/Favors/Kanter. That's one hell of an athletic and long team. I like the potential there.

Karasev is probably the best shooter out of the bunch. Has a quick release, and pretty nice form. Plus there's just something about seeing a lefty shoot jumpers, I could watch it all day. He also creates fairly well and can get to the rim, but he doesn't have the explosiveness of the Greek kid. Plays just ok defense IMO, nothing special. I do like how he looks for his teammates, and he plays the PnR well. I don't really see what he adds to our team outside of his jumpshot though. I think he has the potential to be a little lesser version of Hayward, but I could also see him being a larger Bellinelli.

Saric. Dang. This kid has a lot of potential. Great size and skill-set, but he's soft. In my experience, toughness isn't something that you can just teach a kid. Half of his problem is that he floats on the perimeter too much, and much like Karasev, I don't see how well he fits into our rotation. Not strong enough to be a stretch 4, and not laterally quick enough to guard any 3's. Just too much of a tweener and too soft for me to like his game.

What do you all think is the overall estimation of this draft classes overall talent and depth?

What I am getting at is do you think the Jazz could combine their two draft picks and maybe Marvin for a draft pick capable of landing Burke who I have read is possibly a top 10. Will teams bite at that offer this year unlike last years attempts to move up?

I think if all the big names are gone by 8th (Noel, Smart, McLemore, Bennett, Oladipo, Porter, Bazz), and Burke is still on the board, and let's say Washington is picking, I think there is a possibility that they'd be willing to trade their #8 pick for our #14 and #21.

Looking at their salary situation, they're at $58m next year with a number of guys leaving after this season:

https://www.hoopsworld.com/washington-wizards-team-salary

So instead of paying a guy they're a bit iffy about at the #8 pick, why not get two guys at #14 and #21? (The guy they actually want, let's say a back up big Olynyk, may fall to #14 anyway). They'll lose a few players who aren't contracted through next year so this way they can fill out their roster as well.

Remember, under the new CBA, draft picks are worth more than the talent they represent, they're also a cheap way for teams to fill out their roster, and preserving cap space. Because of this, I think our x2 picks will have added value this year compared to years' past.

I think if all the big names are gone by 8th (Noel, Smart, McLemore, Bennett, Oladipo, Porter, Bazz), and Burke is still on the board, and let's say Washington is picking, I think there is a possibility that they'd be willing to trade their #8 pick for our #14 and #21.

Looking at their salary situation, they're at $58m next year with a number of guys leaving after this season:

https://www.hoopsworld.com/washington-wizards-team-salary

So instead of paying a guy they're a bit iffy about at the #8 pick, why not get two guys at #14 and #21? (The guy they actually want, let's say a back up big Olynyk, may fall to #14 anyway). They'll lose a few players who aren't contracted through next year so this way they can fill out their roster as well.

Remember, under the new CBA, draft picks are worth more than the talent they represent, they're also a cheap way for teams to fill out their roster, and preserving cap space. Because of this, I think our x2 picks will have added value this year compared to years' past.

The Jazz should use those affordable contracts to fill their roster.

If Sap and Big Al leaves next year, I think acquiring a real "talent" would be more important than preserving "cap space".

We can also re-sign the likes of Tinsley, DeMare, etc, to fill our roster, provided we have a Legit talent in Burke.

Key word here is Legit talent.

Adetokunbo > Karasev > Saric.

Adetokunbo is actually one of my favorite players in the draft. He has elite size, and great versatility. There's a high chance that he will continue to grow, but even if he doesn't, he still has great, great size. Good ball handler for his age/position, and is greatly aided by his large hands. As Jazz fans, we should know all about how much large hands can make a difference (Stockton). He's able to get to the rim well, mainly due to a nice little hesitation move that is incredibly effective due to his ability to take large strides and get to the rim quickly. He won't blow by anybody, but he can definitely get to the rim and finish/draw a foul. Very valuable skill that ALWAYS translates to the next level. Creates well, and definitely looks to pass the ball a lot. He'd fit in well with Hayward in that respect. Needs a lot of work on his shot IMO, but he's 18/19 and that can be worked on. Doesn't seem to have much of a mid-range game, but everything else he does well. On defense, it seems like he lacks some lateral quickness, but can make up for it with his large wingspan, much like Kevin Durant does. If I had to make a comparison, (and don't worry PKM, I hate comparisons too), I would actually compare him to a former player of ours. He has the potential to be better than Andre Kirilenko. That's a huge value. Plus, think of the defensive lineup we could have with him. We'll have Burks at PG because we have nobody else, and I don't like to speculate on any other free agents/rookies. Burks/Hayward/Greek/Favors/Kanter. That's one hell of an athletic and long team. I like the potential there.

Adekokunbo handles the ball and finishes inside better than AK did. He has a rare combination of length with court vision, natural feel and the ability to score in a variety of ways. I think he's going to go higher in this draft than the mocks are saying. Hopefully he's still there for our second pick.

Reactions: Hal
Adekokunbo handles the ball and finishes inside better than AK did. He has a rare combination of length with court vision, natural feel and the ability to score in a variety of ways. I think he's going to go higher in this draft than the mocks are saying. Hopefully he's still there for our second pick.

I feel like I would take Adekokunbo with our first pick. I've always thought that if you wanted a player, then you take him, regardless of where you're drafting at. Right now it looks like our first pick is #17 and our 2nd is #21. Obviously there's a good chance those positions would change, but in that situation, I'm taking the Greek kid first, and then probably a back up post player like Noguiera, Dieng or Withey, and then either go for a PG in the 2nd round or just a stop-gap in free agency and wait for a Harrison twin or some other emerging PG. I really feel that we need to take a backup big in this draft, since Sap and Jefferson are most likely leaving.

So you are opposed to moving in an attempt to get a specific player?

Yes. Do you want one else shot for a million dollars or two?

If the Jazz were one piece away from a championship and the draft had that missing piece, then I'd say go for it.

The Jazz just need to accumulate talent. If the Jazz use Burks, and or the picks to move up for a pick that just means more roster spots that need to be filled and lately those spots have been filled by second chance players. No thanks.

If the Jazz want to trade two picks for one in this draft, then yeah they could probably move up to the #10 or #9 spot, especially in this draft, since the talent is fairly flat at that point. However, given that there are value picks in the 19 - 21 range where the Jazz have their second pick, I'd be surprised if the Jazz make that kind of deal. They'd have to feel pretty strongly about the player they'd get at #9 or #10. Maybe that's Burke. Maybe that's a big. There's a lot of pressure on the Jazz's scouting to figure out this draft strategy.

If Adonis Thomas is available with our 2nd-round pick, I think that would be a good pick-up. I think he'll put his game together and that he's a pro talent. I think he's got more raw talent than Deshaun Thomas.

If Adonis Thomas is available with our 2nd-round pick, I think that would be a good pick-up. I think he'll put his game together and that he's a pro talent. I think he's got more raw talent than Deshaun Thomas.

I completely agree on Adonis.

Once again I agree
If Sap and Big Al leaves next year, I think acquiring a real "talent" would be more important than preserving "cap space".

We can also re-sign the likes of Tinsley, DeMare, etc, to fill our roster, provided we have a Legit talent in Burke.

Key word here is Legit talent.
Well we know he's a legit collage talent, but he does have enough questions about him that he's certainty not a sure thing to make it in the NBA or he would be the top pick in this weak draft, where there are no sure fire stars. To give up two picks, and say Burks would be a huge risk that could easily set the jazz back big.

Well we know he's a legit collage talent, but he does have enough questions about him that he's certainty not a sure thing to make it in the NBA or he would be the top pick in this weak draft, where there are no sure fire stars. To give up two picks, and say Burks would be a huge risk that could easily set the jazz back big.

Plus he's not even considered the top pg in this draft.

What does everybody think about drafting Skylar Diggins or Britney Griner in the 2nd round?

Saw ya coming from a mile a way. The log out button is on the top right, click that button now, then throw away all computers And smart phones, and all electronic devices.

Thanks.