What's new

Following potential 2017 draftees...

Hartenstein is a significantly better athlete than Ellenson... Ellenson is naturally a fat *******.. Hartenstein on the other hand is 250lbs and chiseled and 7'1 at 18years old...

Is Hartenstein like a slightly more physically gifted Motiejunas?

No. DMo is more of your old school skilled euro big type. Hartenstein is not that he's like some new age giant athletic PF with skills he's got potential to be a factor on the break in the NBA..

I'm not sure his attitude will be all that bad (on the right team) He's not Porzingis, I think he's kinda got some Saric to his attitude, tho not a grizzled winner like Dario pre-draft..

Hartenstein is a significantly better athlete than Ellenson... Ellenson is naturally a fat *******.. Hartenstein on the other hand is 250lbs and chiseled and 7'1 at 18years old...

I think he's going to be good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnfdkQVqqR8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwF9B1zIA6E

Not eligible til next year but a possible Jazz pick IMO (if he falls that far)

IDK, I'm on the fence with him. Not really seeing too much to be excited about.

He has good timing and scoring instincts, he can score with either hand, he runs the floor, he can Euro-step, he moves his feet on defense and has quick reactions, he can rebound in a crowd, he has good timing on blocks, he can shoot with confidence out to the 3-pt line, he can make reads and deliver the right pass, he's tough, he plays with good motor and physicality, and he's got an NBA body at age 18. Not many 7-footers can do all this.

He needs to keep developing his shooting, play under control and figure out how to guard in space. Teams need to work him out to really see what his defensive potential is, but he'll be a 2-way player and he's got to rate as one of the better bigs in this draft.

Only downside is that his wingspan is pretty average, but the guy is 7'1" and he has the same standing reach as Derrick Favors and Steven Adams. He could also grow a bit more.

Last edited:
He has good timing and scoring instincts, he can score with either hand, he runs the floor, he can Euro-step, he moves his feet on defense and has quick reactions, he can rebound in a crowd, he has good timing on blocks, he can shoot with confidence out to the 3-pt line, he can make reads and deliver the right pass, he's tough, he plays with good motor and physicality, and he's got an NBA body at age 18. Not many 7-footers can do all this.

He needs to keep developing his shooting, play under control and figure out how to guard in space. Teams need to work him out to really see what his defensive potential is, but he'll be a 2-way player and he's got to rate as one of the better bigs in this draft.
yup and he's a lefty. I like his chances.

Jarrett Allen is probably more your style if you're looking for a more classically skilled (and longer) big.

Does he even have interest in coming over? The fact that he never put his name in the NBA draft is kind of telling, no?

Well, he put his name in the draft, but withdrew it after he didn't get any assurance from a team that he will go in the first. I haven't read anything from him or his father lately. I know his father was pushing him to stay in Europe for a couple of years when he first declared in 2015(he thought that was the good natural progression for him and that he wasn't ready for the NBA, I completely disagree with that(first part) - I thought he would be best served to come into an NBA strength and conditioning program as early as possible). I will try to find some more info on him today.

Man, a lot of people hated on teh Kings for taking that Papaiagnis guy so early, but he actually looks pretty good.

Stitches was saying that Hartenstein's attitude problem was as bad as Cousins'. Are you guys hearing this?

Admittedly I haven't watched him as much as Cousins, but in both games I saw he was every bit as whiney, pouty, tantrum throwing of a cry baby that Cousins is. He also does the exact thing that Cousins does when he doesn't get his own on offense - don't go back on D. There was one case where he didn't get to finish an offensive possession and got pissed at his teammates and on purpose stopped playing D the next possession and gave up a walk in layup. Maybe I caught him in two consecutive bad games when it comes to his attitude but I somehow doubt it. BTW DX has the exact same concerns about him in their write up about him:

https://www.draftexpress.com/articl...n-Championship-Scouting-Reports-Big-Men-5766/
Weaknesses: -Very reactive to his mistakes. Blames teammates outwardly. Taunts opponents. Body language goes south as soon as adversity strikes. Has a short fuse that he'll need to get a better handle on - Source: https://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Isaiah-Hartenstein-81574/ ©DraftExpress

BTW I'm not disputing his talent at all. I think if he gets his head straight he can be a good player in the league and he has the size to do it. I'm just not sure I'm willing to take his shenanigans on my team.

Hard to tell what you were trying to say with the double negative

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think from the context it was clear since I was hyping Hartenstein previously. But I'm glad we can clear that misunderstanding up.
I think the character concerns are real. But he's 18, he'll have plenty of time to develop in that area.
I'd take that risk, it's not like he's 27 or whatever Cousins age is. At that time you have to weigh whether you can live with the bad and see every progress in another direction as a bonus.

rookie seasons of tall lefties

This is a list of all active lefties 6'9 or taller in the league.
Sweet shooting ones on that list:
Bosh
T-Dot
Motiejunas
D.Sabonis
Zach Randolph
McBob
Randle

With Bosh, Motiejunas it's unclear whether they'll be in the league because of health issues
Randle is more about potential to extend his range in the future
Zach Randolph is old
Terrence Jones appparently has some baggage that no team wants to have and he's going from place to place