What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Yeah, that's what I meant. But Cy is right too... even within the top 10 there is some uncertainty. We don't know if Trae will go 4 or 10-12, if Porter will go 3 or 9.

I actually like this draft. Even players I'm relatively low on(KBD, Brown, Evans), I'm low on them compared to others, not that I don't like the players or that I will hate us selecting them. That's not the case. Usually there are some players I absolutely would hate for us to select(Lyles, Lydon, Bradley in previous years), but this year, I have to really think about who I would hate to hear as Jazz' selection on draft night. I kind of don't want us to take a center, but that is more to do with the newly emerging positional value dip of the 5 position, as well as the fact that we will be talking about an at best 12-15 minutes player(since we have our center of the present and the future locked in).

I understand that... I think Trae's window starts at 6 and would be shocked if he dropped past 9. I just don't think the variance affects teams past say 14.

Absolutely no true centers or guys like Jalen Brunson (upside is too low at 21). I wouldn't even take Robert Williams if he dropped unless it was to trade him immediately for more value.

Noticed when he started naming current jazz players he said DM45, Rubio, and Robert. :D You mean Rudy Gobert son.

Yeah it reminds me of the 2016 draft in that sense. Like I remember Dejounte Murray being mocked at 10 on some sites and he fell to 29. There was just one gigantic tier of prospects, and guys like Dejounte Murray, Luwawu, Korkmaz, Labissiere, Papagiannis, Yabusele, McCaw, Deyonta Davis, Brogdon, and some others went in unexpected places. So hopefully the same thing happens in this draft to our benefit.

Ultimately DL was right to trade out of that draft. Couldn't get a handle on which of those prospects would amount to anything at 12.

All these guys were in contention at 12, some of them really hyped up here, and are looking like busts or bench guys.

Korkmaz
Luwawu
Ellenson
Baldwin
Valentine
Richardson
Skal
D. Davis

Prince looks like he may be worth it, but would have been a reach at the time, more around 20+ on mocks.
Murray may have been worth it, although a point guard with a .485 TS and no 3 point shot doesn't excite me.

Ultimately DL was right to trade out of that draft. Couldn't get a handle on which of those prospects would amount to anything at 12.

All these guys were in contention at 12, some of them really hyped up here, and are looking like busts or bench guys.

Korkmaz
Luwawu
Ellenson
Baldwin
Valentine
Richardson
Skal
D. Davis

Prince looks like he may be worth it, but would have been a reach at the time, more around 20+ on mocks.
Murray may have been worth it, although a point guard with a .485 TS and no 3 point shot doesn't excite me.

I agree that draft was wonky... Skal was the biggest surprise... other than the Kong’s taking Pappa G.

I like the prospects in this draft much better but think we may have some similar variance. Another reason to try and get another pick in this draft imo

Pack it up, guys. We are not drafting in the first this time around... #LockeWatch

When asked if he would like BPA in the draft... out of nowhere Locke jumped to "I don't think I would mind a George Hill type of scenario" and went on explaining why we might be better served to trade the pick for a player that's already developed and ready to play and fits

I couldn't help but think he means Mirotic.

Pack it up, guys. We are not drafting in the first this time around... #LockeWatch

When asked if he would like BPA in the draft... out of nowhere Locke jumped to "I don't think I would mind a George Hill type of scenario" and went on explaining why we might be better served to trade the pick for a player that's already developed and ready to play and fits

Don't tease Infection like this... he's gone through all the stages of grief. This is cruel... negged.

Ah, is it already that time where Locke says too much about the draft? In 2016 he said he didn't love anybody at 12 and lo and behold we traded out. I don't think you can get anyone for pick 21 who can contribute like Hill did. Despite being hurt, he was very good in his year with us. Isn't Mirotic worth more than the 21st pick? I'm guessing we'd have to ship out one/some of the nonguaranteed guys.

Ah, is it already that time where Locke says too much about the draft? In 2016 he said he didn't love anybody at 12 and lo and behold we traded out. I don't think you can get anyone for pick 21 who can contribute like Hill did. Despite being hurt, he was very good in his year with us. Isn't Mirotic worth more than the 21st pick? I'm guessing we'd have to ship out one/some of the nonguaranteed guys.
He telegraphed the Lyles pick, the Bradley pick, I firmly believe we would have drafted Aaron Gordon if he was available with all the hype Locke was putting on him...

He's been spot on for a few years now... going to listen in now.

I would be devastated.

He hinted at the unguaranteed contracts being moved and waived too... so I'm going to say these thoughts are his own and not the teams.

Korkmaz
Luwawu
Ellenson
Baldwin
Valentine
Richardson
Skal
D. Davis

I didn't mind trading out of that draft. I just didn't like what we traded for. I felt like if we traded the pick it needed to be for a future pick or picks. Punting the pick to a future year. One year of 30 year old George Hill seemed like bad value. And I turned out to be right because he left and then we had to spend another 1st rounder to get Rubio to replace him. We did finally make the playoffs after trading the pick for Hill. I'll give DL that. But still in the grand scheme of things a future pick would have been more valuable. Especially when you look at the 2017 draft class and the potential in this 2018 class.

I would be devastated.

It would hint at some shortcut, short sightedness, I'd be a little upset too. I think trading picks is what you do when you are one piece away or when you have some serious urgency to get better (hayward situation).

If you’re Jazz FO guys, why are you feeding this guy ****? Wouldn’t other teams be able to easily pick up on who we truly want and therefore use that as leverage perhaps?

Just seems stupid as a FO.

Also, if we trade a 1st (where there will def be legit talent at 21) for a guy with one year left on his contract again, I’ll be ****ing annoyed. Realistically, we aren’t winning it all next year. And Mrotic isn’t that good. And I can’t imagine Crowder will love that. Not that I give a **** about his feelings but still. Seems like a dumb move.

Reactions: SCS
The thing Locke keeps hinting at is we may not wait for free agency to add a guy... mentions because of limited selection, contract timing and such that you get what is available... not what you want. Does make me think we might not be looking at 2019.

If we traded for Niko or a guy like Tobias Harris we could also use our MLE without much reservation of trying to keep space for next year.

Also, if we trade a 1st (where there will def be legit talent at 21) for a guy with one year left on his contract again, I’ll be ****ing annoyed. Realistically, we aren’t winning it all next year. And Mrotic isn’t that good. And I can’t imagine Crowder will love that. Not that I give a **** about his feelings but still. Seems like a dumb move.

I prefer Jae off the bench... don't want him hijacking the offense when DM, Ricky, Joe are on the floor.

Niko is really good, but I think we could get him in FA fairly easily... depends on what happens with Cousins.