What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

I really don't think Niko is an improvement over Favors. He brings some different offerings to the table, but I don't think he creates a net improvement. He isn't the missing piece.

If we are going to win a championship, we're going to have to add 2 near 40% 3pt shooters.

That's my opinion but apparently the jazz don't agree.

I prefer Jae off the bench... don't want him hijacking the offense when DM, Ricky, Joe are on the floor.

Niko is really good, but I think we could get him in FA fairly easily... depends on what happens with Cousins.

Why do people insist Niko is really good? What historically is there to show that? I’m legit asking.

Okobo, Brown Jr, and KBD are worth staying in the draft for, imo. Jerome Robinson too. It's good to have rotation players on rookie scale. This is a much better draft than 2016.

If there's a good trade being offered though, you always have to consider that too.

Last edited:
Jazz were +7.5 per 100 possessions when Gobert and Favors were on the floor together last season.

Yes I'm aware and proud of that fact, i'm more pointing to who we could have drafted instead of Bradley.

Crowder is .341 from 3 for his career.

Niko is .357.

Is that worth giving up a 1st for in a solid draft? For one year? When the guy is shaky on d? No thank you.

I'm definitely starting to get enamored with him. He turns 19 in July (he is younger than Afernee Simons who looks like a baby where Brown already has a man body), so he is one of the younger players in the draft. He's already pretty strong for a player his age and size. He fits the mold perfectly of what you want a 3 to be size wise. You can easily project his frame to be able to guard up a position to the 4 once he matures with his length and reach (and again, he doesnt turn 19 for another 1.5 months, he could still be growing). His ball-handling, passing, and vision are very high level for a player his size/age. Play style wise he is a perfect fit for the Jazz's system.

The very first play of this highlight reel looks like a right-handed version of a Joe Ingles scoop layup. I see a lot of Ingles when he plays. Like I wish Ingles could play this aggressively w/ a scorer's mentality(Joe Johnson might be a more apt comparison as he develops). Obviously his shot is nowhere close to Ingles, but Ingles wasnt lighting it up at age 19. He shot 32% his first professional year for the Melbourne team. I don't think his lack of shooting should be too much of a concern.

His athleticism on the defensive end probably is the biggest concern. I watched all the Cody Wright youtube videos on him and it's a mixed bag defensively. Sometimes he does get blown by, but other times he is really able to use his size and length to both players on the defensive end.

If he falls to 21, he might be a must-pick. It's rare to get a player like him at 21 who has his level of feel/IQ combined with size and age at the SF position. Honestly, if he falls past the Spurs, I would be shocked. He seems like a Spurs player through and through. I'm pretty surprised he is even working out with the Jazz.

I feel like I rarely agree with Catchall on anything draft related, but I'm in on Brown. He might just be a super role-player type, but if he figures out his shot he could be a good starter and eventual Joe Ingles replacement.

If he grows another inch and puts on 15 lbs like Hayward did, he'll be a big, strong wing who can play on the ball and create a triple threat. He's currently the same height w/o shoes as Jimmy Butler, and he has more length. He's not as physically intimidating, but he's skilled. He's also got an interesting floater game developing.

I guess the next question is whether he has that really competitive demeanor.

Niko's defense is better than people credit him for... have heard Tony Jones and others say he can't guard a chair... he isn't that bad. He is a good 3 point shooter and can get a lot of them off. Has some dribble drive game too. I have no doubt he'd be great here.

Jazz were +7.5 per 100 possessions when Gobert and Favors were on the floor together last season.

(insert player) and Rudy Gobert were + (insert good number) last year.

Niko and Rudy would be good too and we'd have much more space for DM to operate.

Both guards from Arkansas may go undrafted and they both shot ~42% from 3 (Macon & Barford)

I'd be bringing in guys like these.

Instead seems jazz bring in all big men... but then at the end of the season slap us with an 14 year old looking David Stockton.

If/when we lose Favors, we'll miss his rebounding. The Jazz outrebounded teams quite often by double digits during the late-season charge. We'll need to bring in a guy who will grab 8-10 boards. Crowder isn't that guy.

The Jazz, like a lot of teams, like plus-length, plus-athletes, and tough defenders, but they also like multiple guys who can run pick-and-rolls.

This is where Brown and Okobo are going to be attractive and where I question Donte a bit.

If you’re Jazz FO guys, why are you feeding this guy ****? Wouldn’t other teams be able to easily pick up on who we truly want and therefore use that as leverage perhaps?

Just seems stupid as a FO.
I doubt they really feed him anything, but he probably knows how a lot of people in the Jazz's FO thinks.

He telegraphed the Lyles pick, the Bradley pick, I firmly believe we would have drafted Aaron Gordon if he was available with all the hype Locke was putting on him...

Ha I said the same thing about Gordon recently and how I'm like 99% sure we would have picked him. He also telegraphed the Burks pick in 2011 in his draft breakdown, and he talked a lot about Gobert's dominant workout in 2013.