What's new

Following Potential 2018 Draftees

Is Spellman a good defender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what’s spoken about. He was at the college level and they report him as a “rim protector.” He’s handled some switches well that I’ve seen, but it does appear some quicker guys get past him but he stays with them with his arms and timing.

He's honestly terrible for an NBA prospect, I wouldn't bother with him as a camp invite, let alone waste a pick on him.

Just a suggestion. There are a lot of possibilities in that range. We might be able to get Evans, Thomas, Trent Jr, or Wagner in the 2nd. A good number of people we are looking at will slip. It'll be a goldmine. DL is the one to find us the gem!

I think he's better at creating his own offense than you're giving him credit for. He was pretty good creating offense in Iso and as a PnR ball handler. I agree about his passive nature on both ends though.
I'm going to cry when Huerter is selected right before us...
i know how that feels. The year we drafted Burks, my draft crush was Klay Thompson, what could’ve been:(

I just feel like the following is going to happen:

#1 - Ayton
#2 - Bagley
#3 - Trae Young - it will be the first big shocker. Atlanta will do it because there are less great PG's in this draft but plenty of wings and bigs.
If ATL wants Trae, they surely will trade down.

I would like to see the Jazz draft Dzanan Musa & Keita Bates Diop.

I can’t believe the Jazz would draft Musa. Just something about the way he moves. I know he plays in a similar system but make no mistake about it, Musa is the star of Cedevita. He takes low percentage shots and no one blinks twice. He almost has complete offensive freedom.

He’s a confident euro crafty scorer off of the dribble and utilities floaters & euro steps around the basket. He’s also a very good catch and shoot player & utilises his size well, but not enough from midrange. The reason to me why Musa is in the draft is because he’s 6’9 can go off & can facilitate. This is why I think he’d fit in Portland. He could set up their backcourt & make their offence less predictable.

That being said, if Musa’s just been playing all this time, I’d like to see what he can achieve within a system taking higher percentage shots. If the jazz can reign Musa in they could have a very useful piece. Musa’s still only 19 which is incredible. His game needs a lot of work & if he truely believes he’s one of the best, it won’t hurt the Jazz if he pursues this goal.

My concern with Musa is his athleticism & lack of handles. I also know he’s previously had some character issues. He’s kind of a large fish in a small pond in the Croatian league.

Neither KBD or Musa are athletically the type of players I think Utah would draft, but I think their skill set would be of use in Utah.

I’m not a Jazz fan but I’d loose my $#!+ if they draft Mo Wagner or Omari Spellman 21st :)

Is it just me or has Locke not telegraphed our pick like he has in years past?

After taking Bradley in last year's mock, I expected that the Jazz brass had words with him. He could screw up the "game theory" for them by letting others know who the Jazz want. They could also employ him as a smoke screen generator.

So remind me, what is forum etiquette and precedent for draft day threads? Do we post all today's draft stuff in here? Or is there a new thread started?

Seth Davis has some interesting stuff on certain players that he gets from several anonymous scouts. Here is what he has for Troy Brown:

Troy Brown, 6-7 freshman guard, Oregon.
“One of the youngest players in the draft. Really, really versatile. He had kind of an underwhelming year at Oregon. Came in with a big reputation. High character guy. He does a little bit of everything, but I don’t know what he does at an elite level. Has size, knows how to play, can pass. He’s super young, so it might take a year or two to figure it out. People are touting him as somebody who can defend, but he’s going to have to really work at it because he’s not a naturally elite athlete. I thought he was tougher than he is.”

Even with the questions about his athleticism, I think he should be our pick. That versatility is tantalizing.

Low athleticism and can't shoot. I'm usually wrong on the draft, but I'm not sure the upside on other skills is enough to compensate for these 2 issues. Sounds like a 2nd rounder to me.

I think the Jazz like Favors, but not enough to pay him much. The Jazz can hold off on the decision to re-sign Favors until they see what the landscape looks like, what offers he's getting, and whether it's worth going over the cap to retain him to be part of a top 3 team in the WC.

Favors may get a JJ Reddick-like deal. But only after other moves are made and they use $ between cap and LT.

Khyri provides the same spacing + the defense with additional length. Honestly not sure what makes Huerter a better prospect.

I like Khyri, but he doesn’t provide the same spacing as Huerter. Khyri is a good shooter, but Huerter is stroking it from 30 ft on a regular occasion. That literally spaces a defense out more. Look at how far out guys have to come to defend Curry. Makes a big difference for an offense.

I’m not a Jazz fan but I’d loose my $#!+ if they draft Mo Wagner or Omari Spellman 21st :)

Why? Also what team are you a fan of?

I'm hoping Doncic falls to the Mavericks or Grizzlies so I can catch some games in person.

So remind me, what is forum etiquette and precedent for draft day threads? Do we post all today's draft stuff in here? Or is there a new thread started?

I would prefer a draft thread rather than just continuing this one.

And then 1, only 1, thread per player chosen. I hope we don't end up having one of those situations where we have a half dozen threads dedicated to the same draft pick.