What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

On average only around 20 players in each draft actually become NBA rotation players. Only around 5 of those 20 become All Stars. So figuring out which 20 players will translate in a given year is the key to success. I'm willing to bet Achiuwa is one of those 20. Why? He's one of the best athletes in the class. He's one of the best rebounders in the class (always a great indicator). Multipositional defender, can guard 3-5, valuable skill. High motor.

I'm just gonna leave the topic there though. I want to move on to some other names.

We disagree on Bolmaro and Achiuwa. That's fine. I'll be close to shocked if the Jazz draft Achiuwa. We can move on.

So lets say Utah took one of; Malachi Flynn, Peyton Pritchard, Devon Dotson or Tyrell Terry in the 1st rd. People here would hate it?

So lets say Utah took one of; Malachi Flynn, Peyton Pritchard, Devon Dotson or Tyrell Terry in the 1st rd. People here would hate it?

Terry I'd be cool with, the others I'd say we should've traded down to the early 2nd (or bought in). Throw Winston in that group too.

In the 1st round? Yeah, I'd probably hate that. Those players aren't likely to be starters unless Tyrell Terry really hits. I would be okay with Maledon or Kira Lewis if the Jazz wanted to go that direction. There are teams that really like Dotson, but I just don't know if he'd fit with the Jazz.

If we're going to draft a backup PG, I'd also look at Jared Butler and Karim Mane later in the 2nd round. Those guys at least have enough size to play off the ball and defend both guard spots.

Last edited:
I'd defend those PG picks tbh.. Terry is probably the least likely candidate of the 4, just cuz the other 3 seem more ready to fight for a spot on the depth chart, it might be Dotson tho because his style of play is something Clarkson can sorta handle...

Flynn or Pritchard, to me, really make a lot of sense.. their skillsets are a match...

I really think Pritchard in general is a darkhorse candidate, I guarantee you they cant wait to work him out.. There's a spot on the depth chart for a PG who can shoot the lights out and really its complimentary to what they have on the wing and down-low..

If they can get a player like Pritchard or Flynn on the floor early on could be explosive results.. I think they both have decently high floors too, enough to justify taking in the late 1st.

Them being upperclassman kinda works in Utah's favor for a lot of reasons.. cuz the thing is really the upside is what kinda stats could they put up..

Catchall mentions them being starters, but if someone like Malachi flynn is a starter, it's because he's gonna be scoring like 20 a game and shooting a ton of 3's.. which is a yahtzee scenario.. there's not really like a feasible way players like that would play big minutes and not put up stats.. pritchard too, hes more like a 15-5 guy tho..

Last edited:

he was able to steady such a shaky ship at oregon this year..i really dont think anyone could've anticipated him being as good as he was

SDSU as a team was surprising, but Flynn dropping daggers from 3 all game long and putting up big stats was certainly not surprising to anyone who got a good look at him at WSU. It's gonna be fun to hear how he shoots it for teams in workouts..

Last edited:
I'd defend those PG picks tbh.. Terry is probably the least likely candidate of the 4, just cuz the other 3 seem more ready to fight for a spot on the depth chart, it might be Dotson tho because his style of play is something Clarkson can sorta handle...

Flynn or Pritchard, to me, really make a lot of sense.. their skillsets are a match...

I really think Pritchard in general is a darkhorse candidate, I guarantee you they cant wait to work him out.. There's a spot on the depth chart for a PG who can shoot the lights out and really its complimentary to what they have on the wing and down-low..

If they can get a player like Pritchard or Flynn on the floor early on could be explosive results.. I think they both have decently high floors too, enough to justify taking in the late 1st.

Them being upperclassman kinda works in Utah's favor for a lot of reasons.. cuz the thing is really the upside is what kinda stats could they put up..

Catchall mentions them being starters, but if someone like Malachi flynn is a starter, it's because he's gonna be scoring like 20 a game and shooting a ton of 3's.. which is a yahtzee scenario.. there's not really like a feasible way players like that would play big minutes and not put up stats.. pritchard too, hes more like a 15-5 guy tho..

Two sleeper picks for the Jazz at #24 would be Desmond Bane & Elijah Hughes, imo. I think they want some size and athleticism.

he was able to steady such a shaky ship at oregon this year..i really dont think anyone could've anticipated him being as good as he was

SDSU as a team was surprising, but Flynn dropping daggers from 3 all game long and putting up big stats was certainly not surprising to anyone who got a good look at him at WSU. It's gonna be fun to hear how he shoots it for teams in workouts..

Pritchard. By God. That was sick.

Two sleeper picks for the Jazz at #24 would be Desmond Bane & Elijah Hughes, imo. I think they want some size and athleticism.
see those picks... to me... would be in-line with the grayson allen selection, or dare i say Eric Maynor... its too risky and not enough reward...I dont think they'll make that same play again.. I really dont see on the depth chart why youd reach for an older 6'5" SG either... Ima big Elijah Hughes fan too.

I will say that Desmond Bane is obviously gonna pass thru whatever personality checks teams give with flying colors. hardworking dude, its a great triumph that he's gonna get selected, 1st rd for him would be taking it too far I think..

Utah has all this fringe NBA talent they've been developing, lots of them are wing players...

Y'all remember what I always say is the most important stat? $$$$$$$$... "per dollar", and that is what Utah is gonna do with this pick, their gonna try to pull a move which can save them big bux on the depth chart.. Taking an older wing player at the end of the first rd, doesnt really accomplish much they couldnt have already done with similar $$$ involved outside of the draft... Pritchard and Flynn arent like that, they cant find similar players for similar $$$, not a chance.....

Utahs first rd selection is gonna make about 1.9MM in its first year.. I really do feel like at that price, a Peyton Pritchard or Malachi Flynn does in fact provide some terrific relief in a scenario where Conley gets injured, like on par with what you might get in the free agent market for lets say 5MM or higher.... Plus I mean with Pritchard and Flynn, it's not really just a depth chart thing, its a skill-set thing too.. These players are far more appropriate to plug into this system than lotto pick trey burke ever was..

I feel like Flynn or Pritchard would hit their first buncha 3's and everyone would fall head over heels for them around here, tbh.

Pritchard is the player I have rated highest over the consensus this year.. I was right about Kyle Guy, called that shot years in advance... This kid is a better prospect than Kyle Guy because he's an actual PG... I just feel like if Pritchard can hit the ground running he's gonna make a lot of teams look foolish for passing on him.. I think he's pretty well equipped to hit the ground running too..

Pritchard is the player I have rated highest over the consensus this year.. I was right about Kyle Guy, called that shot years in advance... This kid is a better prospect than Kyle Guy because he's an actual PG... I just feel like if Pritchard can hit the ground running he's gonna make a lot of teams look foolish for passing on him.. I think he's pretty well equipped to hit the ground running too..

I can't see Pritchard going in the first round. He's tough and scrappy, and he's a good shooter, but you're talking about a Pat Connaughton backup type, imo. He just doesn't have the length or athleticism to be a starter. He'll probably be a good rotation player and stick in the league though.

Jazz should be swinging for upside in this draft, like Poku or Jaden, even if the floor is low.

Last edited:
That 3rd year of Pritchard is a little disconcerting. He regressed in most categories. He does seem competent in off the dribble 3s, a must for a PG without length or athleticism.

I just don't think that a backup PG moves the needle enough for us to use our pick on that over a versatile defensive big or wing.

That said on pure prospect value I would be fine with Dotson or Terry.

Terry is an upside play. He's a really good shooter that knows how to find space and get open. I don't think that he would help our team much in the next 2-3 years. Probably not a good fit for our current timeline. But if he gets stronger, improves his on ball defense, handle, playmaking then it can be a homerun pick down the road.

Dotson I like more for the Jazz. I think he'd be a good fit at that backup PG spot and could possibly take it next year. And I think he has upside as a future starter. He excels at getting by his man. With the shooters and spacing that we have the drive and kick possibilities with him are nice. He can throw an accurate lob when he penetrates and draws attention too which could help Rudy. He's also a smart and disruptive off ball defender. He anticipates passes and jumps them for steals which is an aspect we don't have much of on this team.

I would not like the selections of Flynn or Pritchard at 24 though, no. I mean I like both to a degree. There will just be better prospects available in terms of board value and positional value IMO

That 3rd year of Pritchard is a little disconcerting. He regressed in most categories. He does seem competent in off the dribble 3s, a must for a PG without length or athleticism.
"without length or athleticism" those are the words your gonna choose to make your point? seems kinda dramatic if ya ask me...

When Trey Burke was everyones favorite player in the 2012 thread, his 6'5" wingspan was constantly talked about here as some selling point...... Peyton Pritchard's wingspan is a half an inch less.. but he's "without length"

Pritchard had enough length and athleticism to completely stonewall nico mannion at the end of regulation in the oregon-arizona game to bring it to ot... and then again at the end of OT to seal the 1pt victory... no?

Last edited:
Peyton Pritchard has superior presence of mind compared to this field of potential draftees, i'm sure of it.. That was a classic 'pressure busts pipes and buffs diamonds' situation he was in at Oregon and he performed better than anyone could've anticipated.. and thats where his value as a pick for Utah would really shine..

Subtract all the other stuff from this equation... Just for a second try and narrow this field down by players with outstanding presence of mind, ones who you could see performing in pressurized situations for Utah sooner than later.....For me, Pritchard is at or near the top of the list...

i've followed this kids story for probably like 7 years or so, if you asked me last year about him getting drafted i'd tell you you were crazy and to gamble on that latvian PG --- after this college season tho I'm certain how wrong all that was, and the latvian prospect - Arturs Zagars, really has no business even being discussed like he's on or near Pritchard's level..

There's pretty much 2 types of upside, both ofc are weighted against the contract value... You have your standard developmental upside, which gets way more discussion in threads like these, and rightfully so...

BUT you also have 'hit the ground running' upside... and that my friends is where Utah saw what others did not in Donovan Mitchell..... You can bet your *** they thought they saw at least a little bit of it with the older 1st rd selections like Rodney Hood and Grayson Allen(and tbh it was the big failure of the allen pick because he was never ready like that), as time continues to pass these types of picks will continue to be the big winners of the draft btw, while the losers will sit waiting for developmental talent to bloom.

Who are the guys that you believe in to actually be rotation guys in the NBA?

I'm still working on my list but these guys are on it for sure...

Anthony Edwards
Onyeka Okongwu
James Wiseman
Devin Vassell
Isaac Okoro
Obi Toppin
Jalen Smith
Paul Reed
Precious Achiuwa
Grant Riller
Elijah Hughes
Devon Dotson

"without length or athleticism" those are the words your gonna choose to make your point? seems kinda dramatic if ya ask me...

When Trey Burke was everyones favorite player in the 2012 thread, his 6'5" wingspan was constantly talked about here as some selling point...... Peyton Pritchard's wingspan is a half an inch less.. but he's "without length"

Pritchard had enough length and athleticism to completely stonewall nico mannion at the end of regulation in the oregon-arizona game to bring it to ot... and then again at the end of OT to seal the 1pt victory... no?

That was actually my minor point, my major point was his sub par 3rd season. Perhaps it's explainable, but other times it just the mark of a player with a limited ceiling.