What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

I feel like Anthony Edwards is being overanalyzed and nitpicked by many. He's the top prospect in the class imo, by a solid margin. Had he decided to go to Kentucky instead of Georgia he'd probably be the consensus #1.

I feel like Anthony Edwards is being overanalyzed and nitpicked by many. He's the top prospect in the class imo, by a solid margin. Had he decided to go to Kentucky instead of Georgia he'd probably be the consensus #1.

For sure. I think he still is the consensus #1 rn.

Off topic but this is worth posting somewhere and should have some trickle down ramifications in these draftee threads.

@DarrenHeitner

Breaking: Florida court has just denied Zion Williamson's motion to stay discovery relating to eligibility.

Thus, the state court will require Zion to answer questions from his prior marketing agents that go to whether he or his family accepted any improper benefits.

6:46 AM - Jun 2, 2020

Chad Ford had Ryen Russillo on his podcast and they are doing a mock draft over multiple episodes. They simmed the lottery and are alternating picks. This was the outcome of the first episode...

1) Warriors - C James Wiseman, Memphis (Russillo)

2) Knicks - G Lamelo Ball, Illawarra (Ford)

3) Wizards - G Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa St (Russillo)

4) Hawks - G Killian Hayes, Ulm (Ford)

5) Cavaliers - F/C Obi Toppin, Dayton (Russillo)

They are doing picks 6-14 next episode

Chad Ford is obsessed with Lamelo Ball. He keeps talking about how Lamelo Ball is the one player in this draft who has an elite skill... his playmaking/vision. Really? Anthony Edwards is an elite shot creator, especially for his age. Dude has the whole bag of tricks. What about Devin Vassell? If his off ball defense isn't "elite" it's really close. James Wiseman has a pretty elite size/athleticism combo. I mean there are some players with some skills and traits in this draft. He's overlooking them to prop Lamelo up.

Chad Ford is obsessed with Lamelo Ball. He keeps talking about how Lamelo Ball is the one player in this draft who has an elite skill... his playmaking/vision. Really? Anthony Edwards is an elite shot creator, especially for his age. Dude has the whole bag of tricks. What about Devin Vassell? If his off ball defense isn't "elite" it's really close. James Wiseman has a pretty elite size/athleticism combo. I mean there are some players with some skills and traits in this draft. He's overlooking them to prop Lamelo up.

He's probably just considering players mocked in the top 5, but yeah, Ball has some real question marks. He's not much of a defender, his shot is funky, and his shot selection is pretty loose.

I went back and watched footage from the Nike Hoop Summit 2 years ago when Bolmaro played for the World Team. He was 17. Bolmaro reportedly shot the ball well in practices and also shot well in the game. At the time, people thought his shooting was one of his strengths. That's why you can still find scouting reports that say he's a good shooter.

In related news, Josh Green is pretty athletic and can get downhill off the dribble more than he showed at Arizona this year.

He's probably just considering players mocked in the top 5, but yeah, Ball has some real question marks. He's not much of a defender, his shot is funky, and his shot selection is pretty loose.

And imo anyways, he's about 1/2 the athlete Lonzo is. I think Lamelo is really really talented but in terms of a run and jump athlete he's more Kyle Anderson than he is even late year post knee explosion Shaun Livingston.

And imo anyways, he's about 1/2 the athlete Lonzo is. I think Lamelo is really really talented but in terms of a run and jump athlete he's more Kyle Anderson than he is even late year post knee explosion Shaun Livingston.

He is more shifty in the hips than Lonzo imo. More agile.

I went back and watched footage from the Nike Hoop Summit 2 years ago when Bolmaro played for the World Team. He was 17. Bolmaro reportedly shot the ball well in practices and also shot well in the game. At the time, people thought his shooting was one of his strengths. That's why you can still find scouting reports that say he's a good shooter.

In related news, Josh Green is pretty athletic and can get downhill off the dribble more than he showed at Arizona this year.

I love Green. He needs to improve in off ball defense and defending screens but just 1 v 1 man up he's a really good defender. Offensively he didn't show much other than on the break and in spot up shooting. But he is young and he was on a team with Nico Mannion so he may not have been able to show everything he has.

Don't think he'll fall into the Jazz range but I'd love it if he did.

No he literally said it's the only elite skill in the whole class. He's said it multiple times over different episodes.

I don't like the guards at the top of the draft except Hayes... and honestly I don't know much about him. The bigs are kind of interesting... but they are types I'd want maybe late lotto. There will be some good players obvi... but this draft reminds me a little of the 2013 draft. Might be some good finds in the middle/late first round.

No he literally said it's the only elite skill in the whole class. He's said it multiple times over different episodes.
Just a reminder to everyone... Chad Ford has never been like really good or the best at this... he was the first kinda draft guy... doesn't mean he was the best. I like Schmitz, Vecenie, and even O'Conner better (even though Kevin seems to try and be a little different just to be different).

I don't like the guards at the top of the draft except Hayes... and honestly I don't know much about him. The bigs are kind of interesting... but they are types I'd want maybe late lotto. There will be some good players obvi... but this draft reminds me a little of the 2013 draft. Might be some good finds in the middle/late first round.

There's a legit chance that Bolmaro turns out to be a better player than Ball, if for no other reason than the fact that Bolmaro plays with competitive fire, he plays defense and his motor never stops. I think it's close to 50-50, though Ball is going to get a better chance to play as a primary guard.

It reminds me a bit when I thought Rudy Gobert would likely be a better player than Alex Len.

Last edited:
Just a reminder to everyone... Chad Ford has never been like really good or the best at this... he was the first kinda draft guy... doesn't mean he was the best. I like Schmitz, Vecenie, and even O'Conner better (even though Kevin seems to try and be a little different just to be different).

I like Givony. Vecenie has clear opinions that he articulates very well, but his projections sometimes really miss the mark.

Last edited:
Historically, the Jazz have put a lot of weight on pre-draft workouts. The guys who play hard and crush their workouts tend to be the guys the Jazz draft: Rudy, Donovan, Grayson, Gordon Hayward, etc. I wonder if there will be extensive draft workouts, as in years past.

If the Jazz somehow have a reasonable opportunity to trade up for RJ Hampton, I could see them doing it. Not sure what trade they could put together.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that Hampton is being a bit underrated in the draft discussion. I think he should go ahead of Anthony and Maxey and would be justified in the top 10. There was a rumor that Hampton was slipping on some teams' draft boards, and that he could even go outside the top 15.

If the Jazz somehow have a reasonable opportunity to trade up for RJ Hampton, I could see them doing it. Not sure what trade they could put together.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that Hampton is being a bit underrated in the draft discussion. I think he should go ahead of Anthony and Maxey and would be justified in the top 10. There was a rumor that Hampton was slipping on some teams' draft boards, and that he could even go outside the top 15.

Yup... Actually, It's consistently been that way with him from pre-season til now..

These people who **** on the quality of this draft, then project RJ Hampton outside the lottery definitely have it wrong.

I was up at 4am watching RJ in Australia, I thought he played much better than what many seemed to think...