What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

I think Brantley will stick. The Jazz have been drafting very late in the 2nd round most years, and they also traded away a bunch of 2nd round picks. They've done pretty well picking up UDFAs like Ingles and Royce. It wouldn't surprise me if either or both of Rayjon Tucker and Juwan Morgan stay in the league as well.

Past 2nd-rd picks that hit for the Jazz, aside from Millsap, would include Mo Williams, CJ Miles, Shandon Anderson, Bryon Russell, Issac Austin....and yeah, that's going back a long time.

I'm optimistic about 5 - 7 guys this year who will go late in the 2nd round or go undrafted this year.

This part in bold is really my point. That **** hasn't been working, do you think thats some valid excuse? cuz I dont... It's not like their hands are forced either, it's clearly by choice..

Also its easy to lump in the UDFA's... ultimately tho UDFA's are free agents... If you just isolate the 2nd rd, it's quite clear Utah has been WASTEFUL... and as we all know small-market teams need to cut out as much waste/fat as they can, on their own volition... when it comes to the 2nd rd it just hasnt been happening..

Also I think there's a case to be made that the best 2nd pick they've had since Millsap is Tyrone Wallace, who they cut in November and never played a game in a Jazz uniform...

Which is obviously far from ideal if true... It's almost like it's a resource they can't seem to harness.
We drafted Neto in the second round.

There was also a PG from UNC, though I don't remember the name. I think it was the same year we drafted Tyrone Wallace. Taking Joel Bolomboy in 2016 wasn't a bad attempt. But the Jazz have traded away at least 3 or 4 2nd-rd picks in the last 5 or so years.

Edit: I looked it up, it was Marcus Paige from UNC. The truth is that the success rate on 2nd rounders really is in the 20% - 30% range.
If the success rate is 20-30% in the 2nd rd... Its safe to say Utah hasn't been anywhere close to that since the mid-00's...

Last edited:
We drafted Neto in the second round.
Actually overlooked this one.. . Doesn't really change my point tho... The best they've done in the 2nd rd since Sap is pulling a 3rd string PG...

Plus thats from the fated 2013 draft.... So even with Neto being a solid pull...It'd be dumb to conclude Utah's F/O had a solid grasp on the PG's that year.... To me, the all time "I still can't believe they did this ****"/"what if" occured in that draft, when they selected Trey Burke over Dennis Schroder.

Actually overlooked this one.. . Doesn't really change my point tho... The best they've done in the 2nd rd since Sap is pulling a 3rd string PG...

Plus thats from the fated 2013 draft.... So even with Neto being a solid pull...It'd be dumb to conclude Utah's F/O had a solid grasp on the PG's that year.... To me, the all time "I still can't believe they did this ****"/"what if" occured in that draft, when they selected Trey Burke over Dennis Schroder.

I think Justin Zanik may be more inclined to use 2nd-rd picks than Dennis. He showed that last year. Now that the Jazz have multiple max salaries, they need lower cost players to make the rotation. Brantley could be the next Paul Millsap, btw.

Passing on Giannis and Kawhi hurts more than passing on Schroeder.

There was also a PG from UNC, though I don't remember the name. I think it was the same year we drafted Tyrone Wallace. Taking Joel Bolomboy in 2016 wasn't a bad attempt. But the Jazz have traded away at least 3 or 4 2nd-rd picks in the last 5 or so years.

Edit: I looked it up, it was Marcus Paige from UNC. The truth is that the success rate on 2nd rounders really is in the 20% - 30% range.
The year we drafted Hanlan the next player picked was a guard from Oregon Joseph Young. Yesterday he put up 74 points in the Chinese Basketball Association all star game with 14-15 from the line. I know it is a flier on 2nd rounders but it seems like it's been awhile since we really hit on a player in that round.

The year we drafted Hanlan the next player picked was a guard from Oregon Joseph Young. Yesterday he put up 74 points in the Chinese Basketball Association all star game with 14-15 from the line. I know it is a flier on 2nd rounders but it seems like it's been awhile since we really hit on a player in that round.

There are a bunch of guys this year who look like they'll hit if we can get a 2RP--Tillie, Nnaji, Nwora, Hughes, Butler, Kispert, Pritchard, Perry, Tre Jones, Mason Jones...

Last edited:
Sam Vecenie put out his new mock. He had the Jazz selecting Zeke Nnaji. Judging off his explanation he doesn't seem to have good handle on the team though. He just kinda said the Jazz have no holes so here is Zeke Nnaji lol. The weaknesses are clear. Athleticism, length, defensive versatility at 3/4/5. Basically a better option(s) than Niang and/or Bradley.

Sam Vecenie put out his new mock. He had the Jazz selecting Zeke Nnaji. Judging off his explanation he doesn't seem to have good handle on the team though. He just kinda said the Jazz have no holes so here is Zeke Nnaji lol. The weaknesses are clear. Athleticism, length, defensive versatility at 3/4/5. Basically a better option(s) than Niang and/or Bradley.

I'd be surprised if the Jazz take Nnaji in the first round. It would probably mean there are real off-court problems with both Paul Reed and Jaden McDaniels, and it would mean they're not interested in Bolmaro. Also, if the Jazz want a 4/5 who can shoot with range, they'd be more likely to take Jalen Smith. Neither Nnaji nor Smith look like they'll be great defensively on the perimeter right now, however.

The appeal of Nnaji is that he's a roll-man with size, good motor and some shooting touch from mid-range. He's probably going to play most of his minutes at the 5 in the mold of a Derrick Favors.

I think the Jazz are looking for two archetypes. One is a versatile guard with some size to play next to Mitchell, both on and off the ball. That's the appeal of a player like Hampton, Maledon or Bolmaro. If they re-sign Clarkson, then maybe this is less of a need. The other archetype is an athletic two-way wing or forward with length, like Williams, Reed or McDaniels. It's possible that Brantley will show out in Orlando and dampen the urgency of this need a little. Another athletic wing that could interest the Jazz would be Josh Green.

If they end up drafting a big, to me it means that there are red flags with the other guys.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if the Jazz take Nnaji in the first round. It would probably mean there are real off-court problems with both Paul Reed and Jaden McDaniels, and it would mean they're not interested in Bolmaro. Also, if the Jazz want a 4/5 who can shoot with range, they'd be more likely to take Jalen Smith. Neither Nnaji nor Smith look like they'll be great defensively on the perimeter right now, however.

The appeal of Nnaji is that he's a roll-man with size, good motor and some shooting touch from mid-range. He's probably going to play most of his minutes at the 5 in the mold of a Derrick Favors.

I think the Jazz are looking for two archetypes. One is a versatile guard with some size to play next to Mitchell, both on and off the ball. That's the appeal of a player like Hampton, Maledon or Bolmaro. If they re-sign Clarkson, then maybe this is less of a need. The other archetype is an athletic two-way wing or forward with length, like Williams, Reed or McDaniels. It's possible that Brantley will show out in Orlando and dampen the urgency of this need a little. Another athletic wing that could interest the Jazz would be Josh Green.

If they end up drafting a big, to me it means that there are red flags with the other guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took Nnaji just because he's a big with some shooting potential. I don't think that they will take him though. I just think that there will be better options available. I agree that they'd probably be more likely to take Jalen Smith than Nnaji just because he's a more proven and versatile shooter, rim protector and rebounder. Smith is a straight 5 on defense though. I don't think you want him guarding in space very often. His best value will come as a drop big. Which makes him unlikely choice as well since we have Rudy/Tony.

I'm like 99% sure that the Jazz wouldn't take Jaden McDaniels under any circumstance. Pretty sure the attitude stuff is real.

I don't really see why Clarkson won't be on the Jazz next year. The Jazz are trying to contend and have no way to replace his production if he leaves. They pretty much NEED him back. He has strong incentive to stay too because he's played his best basketball here and has a good chance to win here.

I like Hampton. He's a great athlete with a raw base of skills to build on. He's just not great at anything right now. I don't think he'll help a team much in his first contract, especially in the first few years. I feel like the Jazz need a guy who will make a quicker impact if possible. But in the highly unlikely event that Hampton is there when the Jazz pick... I'd be fine with it.

I like Josh Green as well. He has a skill that could help a team early in his career and that's his defense. Especially strong on ball. I also think he's an underrated passer. He's not gonna initiate plays or run an offense but he makes quick decisions and they are usually good. He needs work on offense everywhere else though. He shot 36% from three but he has worrisome mechanics. He bends his knees inwards when he shoots which is really weird. He's not a very good finisher at the rim either. But overall just like Hampton I wouldn't be upset if he was the pick.

The only things that really appeal me about Maledon is that he has the size to play two positions and I think that his jumper is pretty good. But overall I'm not a fan. I think that there are several better guard options in this class. The main problem is that his defense is so bad that he might not stick in the league. The Jazz don't really need another guard who doesn't offer resistance.

We've been over Bolmaro. I just don't get the first round appeal. He has no value as an off ball player on offense because he can't shoot and he's not a cutter. You can't have him initate offense because he's not a shooting threat. The passing is more flash than substance.... he turns it over a lot trying to force flashy passes. And defensively he's just overaggressive in blitzing ball handlers. That's why he has a high steal rate. It's like a college kid who gets a lot of steals in a full court press scheme or by playing at the top of a zone scheme. It's not a indicator of good defense it's just an indicator of an opportune situation. He's not going to be able to do that in the NBA without getting cooked. The handle, size, passing creativity certainly makes him intriguing. There's just not enough there that's more than a theory to make me comfortable in him as a first round pick though.

Last edited:
The only things that really appeal me about Maledon is that he has the size to play two positions and I think that his jumper is pretty good. But overall I'm not a fan. I think that there are several better guard options in this class. The main problem is that his defense is so bad that he might not stick in the league. The Jazz don't really need another guard who doesn't offer resistance.

We've been over Bolmaro. I just don't get the first round appeal. He has no value as an off ball player on offense because he can't shoot and he's not a cutter. You can't have him initate offense because he's not a shooting threat. The passing is more flash than substance.... he turns it over a lot trying to force flashy passes. And defensively he's just overaggressive in blitzing ball handlers. That's why he has a high steal rate. It's like a college kid who gets a lot of steals in a full court press scheme or by playing at the top of a zone scheme. It's not a indicator of good defense it's just an indicator of an opportune situation. He's not going to be able to do that in the NBA without getting cooked. The handle, size, passing creativity certainly makes him intriguing. There's just not enough there that's more than a theory to make me comfortable in him as a first round pick though.

Maledon has the tools to defend and he's still young. I haven't given up on him on that end and think he could have some sneaky SGA potential. He plays very conservatively and under control in Euroleague, and I think he's capable of making more big plays than he's shown. He doesn't have much star potential per se, but he should be a steady, complementary player.

The appeal of Bolmaro is his combination of size, handle, passing and IQ. His shooting has been patchy, but the sample size has been small. I'm projecting him to improve and become an adequate shooter. He was shooting confidently when Euroleague resumed a few weeks ago. A 6'7" wing with advanced vision, IQ and passing can dominate a game. The Jazz, in particular, like wings who can create in pick-and-roll, and that's something Bolmaro should be able to do at a high level. He'll need a year or two to mature physically, but then I think he should have an impact. He's also potentially a three-position defender.

When Gordon Hayward first came in the league he was a skinny 6'7" guy with a very basic handle, a first step that was average at best, streaky shooting, and athleticism that made people wonder if he'd be able to defend in the NBA. What Hayward had though was IQ. He knew how to see plays develop and to execute them. That's what gave him a foundation to build upon. Bolmaro has that level of feel, timing and even better playmaking than Hayward had.

Another guy I like is Jared Butler in the 2nd round. He does some things that remind me of George Hill one minute, and DWill the next. There are so many guards in this draft that I think he's being underrated.

I think the Jazz would make a concerted effort to trade up to draft Patrick Williams, Devin Vassell or Aleksej Pokusevski. I think they really want to hit with their pick this year. I just don't know if they'd be able to pull it off. They'd need to find a team that's tired of drafting young players--maybe a team like Phoenix.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took Nnaji just because he's a big with some shooting potential. I don't think that they will take him though. I just think that there will be better options available.

I still think Reggie Perry is a 1st-round talent. Did you say there were off-court issues with him as well?

I think the Jazz would make a concerted effort to trade up to draft Patrick Williams, Devin Vassell or Aleksej Pokusevski. I think they really want to hit with their pick this year. I just don't know if they'd be able to pull it off. They'd need to find a team that's tired of drafting young players--maybe a team like Phoenix.

Vassell is probably out of reach...

Josh Hall, a 5-star recruit from Moravian Prep (5th-year senior), is reportedly staying the the draft and hiring an agent. I wouldn't mind picking him up if he goes undrafted. He's 6'9", 200 lbs with some handle and shooting touch.

So multiple reports coming out that Isaiah Stewart has impressed people with his shooting.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's somebody the Jazz would have interest in if that's true. He is known as a positive locker room guy with extremely high character.