What's new

Following Potential 2020 draftees

I really like Corey Kispert for the Jazz in the late 2nd round.

I like him but the Jazz don't have a second round pick and I don't expect them to trade for one either. We don't have a lot of open roster spots going in to next season. And the Jazz would likely rather use any that we may open on vets instead of second rounders. We'll probably just keep make our first round pick and call it a night.

I like him but the Jazz don't have a second round pick and I don't expect them to trade for one either. We don't have a lot of open roster spots going in to next season. And the Jazz would likely rather use any that we may open on vets instead of second rounders. We'll probably just keep make our first round pick and call it a night.
I honestly think this thread has it backwards when it comes to the 2nd rd. Y'all are taking too much of an internal view ("we dont have a 2nd rd pick, wont be giving up assets to get one")

I think that when you look at the pick distribution in the 2nd rd... You see lots of teams with multiple picks, that probably arent trying to make that many selections.... The Kings have 3... Philly's got 2 primo 2nd rd picks at the top.. New Orleans has 3... Golden State has 2.. Charlotte has 2..

seems to me like there's gonna be a lot of movement, and that it wouldnt cost Utah very much to secure 'their guy' in the 2nd..

Like lets say for some reason Jared Butler doesnt get a good eval from the NBA, and stays in the draft, and starts to fall down the 2nd rd... I could sorta see Utah trying to get a pick to select him... No way a player like that goes undrafted, so it's a good example..

Jazz picked up two 2RPs when they flipped Favors to NOLA last summer. They could use those to get a 2nd rounder this year. They could also move someone like JWF or Miye Oni if there's someone they want to target in the 2nd round this year. Ed Davis might also be worth a mid 2RP to the right team.

Philly has four 2RPs this year and is likely to move at least two of them. Kings and Pels also have three 2RPs. I think at least 5 or so picks will be available for trade in the 2nd round.

There are also going to be a few UDFAs who are worth picking up as well--Mason Jones, Derrick Alston, Kahlil Whitney, Karim Mane, Lamine Diane...

Last edited:
Jazz picked up two 2RPs when they flipped Favors to NOLA last summer. They could use those to get a 2nd rounder this year. They could also move someone like JWF or Miye Oni if there's someone they want to target in the 2nd round this year. Ed Davis might also be worth a mid 2RP to the right team.

Philly has four 2RPs this year and is likely to move at least two of them. Kings and Pels also have three 2RPs. I think at least 5 or so picks will be available for trade in the 2nd round.

There are also going to be a few UDFAs who are worth picking up as well--Mason Jones, Derrick Alston, Kahlil Whitney, Karim Mane, Lamine Diane...
Derrick Alston is returning to school.

I honestly think this thread has it backwards when it comes to the 2nd rd. Y'all are taking too much of an internal view ("we dont have a 2nd rd pick, wont be giving up assets to get one")

I think that when you look at the pick distribution in the 2nd rd... You see lots of teams with multiple picks, that probably arent trying to make that many selections.... The Kings have 3... Philly's got 2 primo 2nd rd picks at the top.. New Orleans has 3... Golden State has 2.. Charlotte has 2..

seems to me like there's gonna be a lot of movement, and that it wouldnt cost Utah very much to secure 'their guy' in the 2nd..

I'm not saying that they can't get a second round pick. I'm saying that I don't expect that they will have interest in doing so.

I fully expect Mike Conley, Rudy Gobert, Bojan Bogdanovic, Jordan Clarkson, Joe Ingles, Donovan Mitchell, Tony Bradley, Georges Niang, Royce Oneale to be on the roster next year.

That's 9.

The first round pick makes 10.

It's safe to assume that they value Miye Oni, Jarrell Brantley and Justin Wright Foreman to some degree since they liked them enough to use seconds on them last year. They also like Rayjon Tucker to some degree since they gave him a partially guaranteed deal. That's 14.

I would assume that we move Ed Davis to open a spot for a better fit but if not that would be 15.

So what is more likely for a Jazz team that is trying to contend...

A) Dropping one or two of Oni/Brantley/JWF/Tucker just to spin the tires on a different second round guy and start the development process over again.

B) Dropping one or two of Oni/Brantley/JWF/Tucker for more experienced options

C) Just sticking with the development of Oni/Brantley/JWF/Tucker.

B or C.

I'm not saying that they can't get a second round pick. I'm saying that I don't expect that they will have interest in doing so.

I fully expect Mike Conley, Rudy Gobert, Bojan Bogdanovic, Jordan Clarkson, Joe Ingles, Donovan Mitchell, Tony Bradley, Georges Niang, Royce Oneale to be on the roster next year.

That's 9.

It's safe to assume that they value Miye Oni, Jarrell Brantley and Justin Wright Foreman to some degree since they liked them enough to use seconds on them last year. They also like Rayjon Tucker to some degree since they gave him a partially guaranteed deal. That's 14.

I would assume that we move Ed Davis to open a spot for a better fit but if not that would be 15.

A) Dropping one or two of Oni/Brantley/JWF/Tucker just to spin the tires on a different second round guy and start the development process over again.

B or C.

They can still pick up a couple 2-way guys, which is what 2nd-rd picks might expect. They're still low-cost assets.

That's 9.

B or C.
3 reasons why I disagree with this;

(1)Your counting spots like they can't be stashed in the g-league. I dont think it's as rigid as your making it out to be.
2) Oni/Brantley/JFW/Tucker dont make enough $$$ to just foresake other options, even if you want to stick with those guys, does it really cost that much resources to add more?
(3) Younger players are gonna be making their way into the 2nd rd, it's one of the elephants in the room with all the chaos surrounding this draft, and certainly the next draft is going to be deeply affected as well... So really players like Nigel Williams Goss, is on a whole different timeline... Utah has lots of these almost 23 year old types in their farm system... IDK how you could really make an argument against going after younger developmental projects --- especially when you see them select in the first rd a player like Tony Bradley.

Ya know the G-leauge is obviously on a massive upward trajectory, the teams are going to keep getting better every year.. because of, wait for it my favorite word --- scarcity, there's sure to be tons of overturn and tons of gems uncovered. Spots on rosters are gonna continue to get harder to find..

IMO it's wayyyyy in Utah's best interest to really dig deep into these late-2nd rd - UDFA talent pools every year and try to be as greedy as possible tbh, cuz the risk just isnt really there, it's low-cost stuff.

BTW the ripple effect thats going to happen to the 2021 nba draft from the covid situation is gonna be absolutely massive... there's no avoiding it..

It looks like Paul Reed is taking some of the hitch out of his shot. If he can hit his spot-ups, he becomes a really attractive prospect. If the Jazz want to put a bunch of score-first guys on the floor like Bogey, Clarkson and Mitchell, then it would help to add a versatile defender like Reed.

Last edited:
I just realized... Utah's come up with nothing but duds in the 2nd rd ever since the Millsap pick, which is almost 15 years back...

IDK why we pretend like there's any sort of "This is how they do things in the 2nd rd" type of deal, because if there is some type of way, they'd be smart to change it up --- that **** hasnt paid any dividends..

Like for example, if Utah didnt sell the pick at the end of the 2018 draft and took Shake Milton. That'd be by far the best 2nd rd pick they've had since Millsap, and it'd hold weight on this team. Shake Milton is apparently Philly's starting PG...

Funny thing is Grayson Allen who they took at #23 isnt even better than Milton who goes in the mid- 50's...

Also I think there's a case to be made that the best 2nd pick they've had since Millsap is Tyrone Wallace, who they cut in November and never played a game in a Jazz uniform...

Which is obviously far from ideal if true... It's almost like it's a resource they can't seem to harness.

I just realized... Utah's come up with nothing but duds in the 2nd rd ever since the Millsap pick, which is almost 15 years back...

IDK why we pretend like there's any sort of "This is how they do things in the 2nd rd" type of deal, because if there is some type of way, they'd be smart to change it up --- that **** hasnt paid any dividends..

I think Brantley will stick. The Jazz have been drafting very late in the 2nd round most years, and they also traded away a bunch of 2nd round picks. They've done pretty well picking up UDFAs like Ingles and Royce. It wouldn't surprise me if either or both of Rayjon Tucker and Juwan Morgan stay in the league as well.

Past 2nd-rd picks that hit for the Jazz, aside from Millsap, would include Mo Williams, CJ Miles, Shandon Anderson, Bryon Russell, Issac Austin....and yeah, that's going back a long time.

I'm optimistic about 5 - 7 guys this year who will go late in the 2nd round or go undrafted this year.

I think one of our bad 2nd round picks was Oliver Hanlan. The guy was just flat out awful. I'm not sure what the scouts saw in him.

I think one of our bad 2nd round picks was Oliver Hanlan. The guy was just flat out awful. I'm not sure what the scouts saw in him.

There was also a PG from UNC, though I don't remember the name. I think it was the same year we drafted Tyrone Wallace. Taking Joel Bolomboy in 2016 wasn't a bad attempt. But the Jazz have traded away at least 3 or 4 2nd-rd picks in the last 5 or so years.

Edit: I looked it up, it was Marcus Paige from UNC. The truth is that the success rate on 2nd rounders really is in the 20% - 30% range.

It looks like Paul Reed is taking some of the hitch out of his shot. If he can hit his spot-ups, he becomes a really attractive prospect. If the Jazz want to put a bunch of score-first guys on the floor like Bogey, Clarkson and Mitchell, then it would help to add a versatile defender like Reed.

Achiuwa and Reed are still the ideal options for the Jazz imo. We desperately need the defense, length , athleticism.

I believe in the ability of the Jazz development staff to improve the outside shot of either. It's something that the Jazz have helped several players with.

The fixable issue for Reed is removing the upper body hitch for a more compact stroke.

The fixable issue for Achiuwa is better footwork when he is contested. Achiuwa was actually 93rd percentile on open catch and shoot opportunities. When he's open he squares his feet, he has a good base, and everything looks clean. But he was 1st percentile in guarded catch and shoot. And that's because when he is contested he turns his entire lower body. His feet come close together, he turns one hip toward the defender... it screws up the shot. If you can just get him to shoot the ball the same way as when he's open he should be fine.

I don't think that either will ever be great shooters. But I think the Jazz could turn either into a low 30%-ish shooter... 32, 33... three point shooter on a lower volume. Just good enough where a team couldn't just leave them wide open. And I think they could be solid from midrange in catch and shoot too.

Last edited: