What's new

Free Alec Burks

You're preaching to the choir. I think Burks should be in, and the debate should be about which two of Tinsley, Carroll, and Foye should get to play. Foye has been making a pretty good case, honestly. Tinsley still has his usefulness, too. And Carroll.

It's interesting. But I think that all things considered, Burks deserves the nod until he proves he's not deserving. Not giving him a chance is ****ing criminal.

I want Burks to play more like many of us here do, though I don't really like that logic. It's as bad as playing veterans just because they're veterans.

Have you even looked at Foye's history as a PG? His assist rate is terrible as a PG compared to bad passing PGs in the league.

He's a BAD POINT GUARD. History says this. He's a GOOD SHOOTING GUARD. Why do you want to turn a good player into a bad one?

He may be a bad point guard, but Tinsley is a terrible point guard these days. Foye couldn't possibly be any worse. At least the defense would have to guard him. He deserves a chance in the Jazz system.

Plus, that would allow Burks to play, who is also much better than Tinsley and will get even better with minutes.

He may be a bad point guard, but Tinsley is a terrible point guard these days. Foye couldn't possibly be any worse. At least the defense would have to guard him. He deserves a chance in the Jazz system.

Plus, that would allow Burks to play, who is also much better than Tinsley and will get even better with minutes.

I dont think you understand that sometimes putting 5 guys out there who are shoot first players is a bad idea. Not saying Tinsley isn't bad but he serves a purpose, bring the ball up and "attempt" give other player scoring opportunities. Burks and Foye don't do that, they shouldn't have to do that, its not their game. Tinsley could certainly be upgraded but I see what Ty is trying to do.

I dont think you understand that sometimes putting 5 guys out there who are shoot first players is a bad idea. Not saying Tinsley isn't bad but he serves a purpose, bring the ball up and "attempt" give other player scoring opportunities. Burks and Foye don't do that, they shouldn't have to do that, its not their game. Tinsley could certainly be upgraded but I see what Ty is trying to do.

Foye absolutely has done that throughout his career. He may not have averaged 12 assists per game at any point, but he's never had a problem getting the ball across half court abs passing it.

Foye absolutely has done that throughout his career. He may not have averaged 12 assists per game at any point, but he's never had a problem getting the ball across half court abs passing it.

Foye doesnt want to do that either man, he wants to shoot the freaking ball, a lot, thats his skill. Tinsley is an underrated passer, he controls the game, he cant shoot, score, or play d but he is a pretty good passer. He can get others involved, or at least he used to be able to. All I'm saying is Burks is not a PG at all, not even a little bit. An Foye is not much of a PG either. Tinsley is 100% PG, he is not great anymore but he doesn't screw everything up when he goes in the game either.

I can see why some would want Foye/Burks at PG instead of Tinsley, but consistency is going to suffer greatly for the 2nd unit if that happens. I would predict the 2nd unit offense would have games were it was just ugly basketball all the time. I think Tinsley brings a calming effect to the 2nd unit that is usually needed.

I would be interested in trying it out though just to see what happens. I would assume it would work some games, but I would also think we would have a lot more quick shots and just flat out wasted possessions.

Foye doesnt want to do that either man, he wants to shoot the freaking ball, a lot, thats his skill. Tinsley is an underrated passer, he controls the game, he cant shoot, score, or play d but he is a pretty good passer. He can get others involved, or at least he used to be able to. All I'm saying is Burks is not a PG at all, not even a little bit. An Foye is not much of a PG either. Tinsley is 100% PG, he is not great anymore but he doesn't screw everything up when he goes in the game either.

If Foye doesn't want to, then let Burks.

Anyone can bring the ball across half court and then pass it to someone else. That is all Tinsley does these days.

If Foye doesn't want to, then let Burks.

Anyone can bring the ball across half court and then pass it to someone else. That is all Tinsley does these days.

You clearly dont understand basketball. If that was all a PG did then there would be no such thing as a PG. We will just have to agree to disagree.

You clearly dont understand basketball. If that was all a PG did then there would be no such thing as a PG. We will just have to agree to disagree.

I fully understand that a pg generally does more than that. My point is that Tinsley, at this stage of his career, is NOT doing more than that. He was washed up (and out of the league) several years ago.

Burks has a higher ast% than all but 2 people on this team, with 6 ast/36 mins and 0 turnovers. This won't stay this way with extended minutes, but saying he won't ever look to pass, or is incapable of "attempting to give other players scoring opportunities" is just flat-out wrong.

Burks has a higher ast% than all but 2 people on this team, with 6 ast/36 mins and 0 turnovers. This won't stay this way with extended minutes, but saying he won't ever look to pass, or is incapable of "attempting to give other players scoring opportunities" is just flat-out wrong.

Never said he isn't capable of making a pass that leads to a bucket. I'm saying he is not someone who plays like its hit job to get other involved, and I dont want him to be. He is a scorer, not a PG, not even a scoring PG.

In the two preseason games against the Clippers, Foye adn Burks struggled to do just that.

Foye also couldn't hit a shot for most of the preseason, but has been lighting it up since the season began.

I wouldn't write him off just because of his preseason performance. Let him have a chance during a real game and go from there.

Foye also couldn't hit a shot for most of the preseason, but has been lighting it up since the season began.

I wouldn't write him off just because of his preseason performance. Let him have a chance during a real game and go from there.

Difference is Foye is a career 37% from deep. You know he can shoot because he has shot well for his entire career.

Difference is Foye is a career 37% from deep. You know he can shoot because he has shot well for his entire career.

He's also been able to bring the ball across half court his entire career. He's played a lot of minutes at pg every year. He may have never been an all star pg, but certainly good enough to bring the ball across half court and then pass it to someone else. And, unlike Tinsley, the defense would have to actually guard him, and he'd play decent defense on the other end.

What if we played Hayward with Foye and burks, and let Hayward run the offense??

If we're going to play Burks and Foye together, Hayward is probably as good an option as any as the third perimeter player. I certainly think this combination is worth experimenting with.