What's new

Game Of Thrones

Am I the only one who thought season 1 was the peak and it's honestly slowly gone downhill since? I've enjoyed it but it's been pretty disappointing compared to expectations I had after s1.
I think season 1 was close to the best. That season follows the book VERY closely. All the worst parts of the show are things that are not part of the books at all. Once they passed the books the show has gotten noticeably worse. But it is still really excellent and I'm still heavily invested in the characters.

I think season 1 was close to the best. That season follows the book VERY closely. All the worst parts of the show are things that are not part of the books at all. Once they passed the books the show has gotten noticeably worse. But it is still really excellent and I'm still heavily invested in the characters.
I think really shows the weakness of the writers, but I don't really know the circumstances behind the scenes. Maybe they didn't have the time (last season felt like it was mashed together and rushed) and/or creative freedom but it's definitely lacking.

I think really shows the weakness of the writers, but I don't really know the circumstances behind the scenes. Maybe they didn't have the time (last season felt like it was mashed together and rushed) and/or creative freedom but it's definitely lacking.
Safe to say the show writers are not as good at writing and storytelling as GRRM.

GRRM is fantastic at developing a universe and telling a story that makes sense in that universe and creating characters that also fit that universe perfectly and who are internally consistent.

He has a team of trusted associates who see his writing as it goes and who check it for consistency with everything else he's written in that story. He takes that **** very serious.

Of course, but still couldve done better I feel. Just my opinion. I'm obviously in the minority.
I don't think you're in the minority.

The time warping in the last season was completely out of character for the show. Half of season 1 was the journey along the King's Road from Winterfell to King's Landing. Huge chunks of following seasons was Arya wandering around trying to get back to her family. If those same plot elements were told by the writers the way they dealt with Season 7, Arya would have arrived at Winterfell by the second episode of the second season. All that wonderful adventure with Gendry and Hot Pie and the BwoB, and the Hound would have never had time to happen because POOF she would have been walking away from King's Landing one episode and walking up to Winterfell the next, or hell, maybe even the same episode.

It was EXTREMELY disappointing how hurried the show was last season.

But it was also very disappointing how books 4 and 5, both large books, got condensed into a single season of the show. Many big changes to the story and tons of **** dropped.

In the books Tyrion has not yet met up with Daenerys, Brienne hasn't found either of the sisters. Sansa is still going by a fake name up in the Vail. Arya is still in Braavos. Bran just found the Three-eyed Raven.

The show could have made three seasons of the show from books 4 and 5, but instead they made a single season. There is a really good chance we would have the 6th book before the show finished if they had done that. Everything would have been better, imho.

I watched the first 4 seasons a long time ago and stopped. I decided to watch the whole series again, and I'm so glad I did. It's a lot more clear to me what's going on. I just finished season 3.

Am I the only one who thought season 1 was the peak and it's honestly slowly gone downhill since? I've enjoyed it but it's been pretty disappointing compared to expectations I had after s1.

No. It didnt live up to the hype for me but I didn't want to rain on anybody's parade with the final season coming out.

The thing I love about GoT is the brutal portrayal of life back then, and how I imagine kingdom politics was. The whole idea of a bunch of barons with their separate groups of commoner men who will fight and die for a man or his family but all are supposed to combine for common defense is fascinating. GoT covers that well but focuses on character development (or death) more the longer it goes.

What was your favorite book? I liked 3 the best, then 1, then 2, then 5, then 4

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't think you're in the minority.

The time warping in the last season was completely out of character for the show. Half of season 1 was the journey along the King's Road from Winterfell to King's Landing. Huge chunks of following seasons was Arya wandering around trying to get back to her family. If those same plot elements were told by the writers the way they dealt with Season 7, Arya would have arrived at Winterfell by the second episode of the second season. All that wonderful adventure with Gendry and Hot Pie and the BwoB, and the Hound would have never had time to happen because POOF she would have been walking away from King's Landing one episode and walking up to Winterfell the next, or hell, maybe even the same episode.

It was EXTREMELY disappointing how hurried the show was last season.

But it was also very disappointing how books 4 and 5, both large books, got condensed into a single season of the show. Many big changes to the story and tons of **** dropped.

In the books Tyrion has not yet met up with Daenerys, Brienne hasn't found either of the sisters. Sansa is still going by a fake name up in the Vail. Arya is still in Braavos. Bran just found the Three-eyed Raven.

The show could have made three seasons of the show from books 4 and 5, but instead they made a single season. There is a really good chance we would have the 6th book before the show finished if they had done that. Everything would have been better, imho.
I really thought they did a poor job of Arya in braavos. I really liked that part of the book.

Part I liked least in the books? The iron islander parts (the greyjoys)

I really thought they did a poor job of Arya in braavos. I really liked that part of the book.

Part I liked least in the books? The iron islander parts (the greyjoys)

I'd agree with this.

I also agree that the writing took a real downturn in season 7. The whole thing at the lake in the North was really dumb. Not necessarily the dragon being killed but the timeline. No way in hell they get a round trip from the dude riding for the wall and the dragon coming to the rescue in less than a week. 14 days more likely. By then they're all dead. Too much drakaris ex machina there. Very obvious tv tropes and not anything written by Martin.

What was your favorite book? I liked 3 the best, then 1, then 2, then 5, then 4

Yeah, I've got the same order as you. 4 has no Daenerys IIRC. 5 really redeems itself when Danny gets saved from the assassination attempt in the fighting pits and she rides Drogon for the first time.

I so much want GRRM to finish this series himself. I think the books are going to deal with all these major plot points 1000x better than the show has. I'm excited to see where this goes, but the show "spoiling" the ending isn't going to take much away from getting the "real" ending from GRRM.

I'd agree with this.

I also agree that the writing took a real downturn in season 7. The whole thing at the lake in the North was really dumb. Not necessarily the dragon being killed but the timeline. No way in hell they get a round trip from the dude riding for the wall and the dragon coming to the rescue in less than a week. 14 days more likely. By then they're all dead. Too much drakaris ex machina there. Very obvious tv tropes and not anything written by Martin.
The worst part about this is that the dragon dying should have had a similar emotional impact as when Rob Stark died, but it 100% didn't, not for me. It was like there was this whirlwind going on and then a dragon died and it was like "welp, GG I guess." That moment lost SO much from the fact that it was so forced, so rushed and not built into a tense moment in the story.