Stoked

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
[MENTION=3213]Wes Mantooth[/MENTION] [MENTION=253]Saint Cy of JFC[/MENTION]

Looked online and did this comparison:

Compound bows

- draw weight is usually 50-80 lbs
- Single man (obviously)
- They shoot up to 60 yards (effectively)
- Average arrow size is 25-27 (just over 2 feet) inches at a weight of 18 grams

Ballista

- Draw weight average was at 4,500-4,700 lbs.
- They were often crewed by 2 or 3 men.
- They'd shoot up to 500 yards (300-350 yards effectively)
- Ballista bolt was 4 to 6 feet long and weighed up to 10 pounds.

Wes Mantooth

Compound bows

- Single man (obviously)

Ballista

Cy's dumbassedness. Confirmed.

Saint Cy of JFC

Compound bows

- Single man (obviously)

Ballista

Yeah, obv this is fiction so stuff is taken at liberty.

We can either assume Bronn has super human strength or that the maester engineered some way that made it be able to be manned by 1 person. The bow clearly traveled, at least least seemingly, further than 500 yards, so we assume the latter and that the maester is an engineering genius.

In conclusion, the arrow doesnt weigh that much and Wes is a dumbass.

Stoked

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
But I still refuse to believe a lake drops off that drastically, idc about fantasy or fiction.

So fantasy/fiction only matters when you want it to? lol

If we can suspend reasonable doubt on the ballista we can easily suspend reasonable doubt on the lake/pond.

But yes, overall, reality argues with the episode. But I enjoyed the hell out of it anyways.

Wes Mantooth

Yeah, obv this is fiction so stuff is taken at liberty.

We can either assume Bronn has super human strength or that the maester engineered some way that made it be able to be manned by 1 person. The bow clearly traveled, at least least seemingly, further than 500 yards, so we assume the latter and that the maester is an engineering genius.

In conclusion, the arrow doesnt weigh that much and Wes is a dumbass.

Rofl.

Zombie

I think it's likely that this episode is going to be a turning point for Jaimes character and that the depth of the water is meant to symbolize a baptism of sorts.
In any case it seems like a weird thing to take issue with.

The only real quibble I had with the battle was how the Lannisters were taken completely unawares by a massive force. It wouldn't bother me so much, except for that it keeps happening on the show. Has no one in Westeros heard of scouts, or warning systems?

Sent from my SM-G935V using JazzFanz mobile app

addictionary

The reason they built that scorpion is to target lethal spots behind Dragons' armored skin.

Now I believe Cercei is resourceful enough to built more than one so open field battle becomes tougher for Dragons.

On the other side of things Dany is aware of the strategy now and Dracarys is still alive so she can follow a strategy to fly and scout high the scorpion spots that are hard to hide and move, so she can attack without getting her Dragons close to the scorpions since she has Dothraks, Unsullied and Starks on her side for field battle now.

Damn what a combination.

J

JAZZGASM

But I still refuse to believe a lake drops off that drastically, idc about fantasy or fiction.

There is a lake close to where I used to live that has a fast drop off right by the shore. They had a whole family drown and multiple drownings over the year due to the extreme drop off close to shore. http://koin.com/2014/08/25/henry-hagg-lake-drowning-08252014/

So I would say that it is as least as realistic as making a head explode with your bare hands, mind melds so powerful they effect time and space to make a kid say Hodor forever, Arya becoming a master swordsman when she didn't seem to even train too much with a sword--not to mention wearing someones face and looking and sounding just like them--, coming back from the dead, (Jon Snow, Thoros, wights), etc. But yeah, lakes with deep drop offs are just impossible.