What's new

Gay marriage in Utah put on hold

let me just say that after reading your comments above, your new user name seems rather self-contradictory at the moment

(edit: or maybe it explains everything - - there is only one type of love that is acceptable to you...)

and let me just say that I do know for a fact of three children who were THRILLED to be adopted by same-sex couples after spending several years in the foster care system...

and one of those was in a foster home that he loved, but it still wasn't the same as having 2 parents that were really his, and a family for "keeps"

Nah I'm not against gay couples, I'm just curious about how children fared under these same-sex arrangements. To me the most important thing is the children - they shouldn't be subjected to discrimination based on the lifestyle that their parents have chosen.

It's good to know that the children you've met are THRILLED, but at the same time it is also possible that children who aren't happy about having gay parents may be less likely to speak up about their experiences as this is a bit of a controversial subject.

If anyone else has any new studies, supportive or otherwise, I would love to see them.

It's still gonna be different having a male and a female in the family VS having x2 males, or x2 females.

Also in terms of adoption I don't think it's fair for a child to be stuck with a family with x2 males or x2 females if he/she would rather not be.

HOMPHOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stating facts is homophobic.
so stop stating facts!

a 2 male marriage is EXACTLY the same as a normal marirage.
a transgendered person si exaclty the same as a normal person.

STOP BEING A HOMOPHOBE. accept these fauxfacts

Why? What can a man offer a child that a woman can not, or vice versa, outside of direct breat feeding?
are u serious?

if a father was not as important:

63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.

90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.

85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)

80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)

71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)
- Fatherless children are twice as likely to drop out of school.

Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.

Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.

Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to get A’s in school.

Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.

75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.

lets face it there is a differenc ebetweene men and women. THATS A FACT!
this equal rigths ******** cant.

I remember a girl just a year older than me, the same age as my cousin/neighbor/friend who was her best friend. . . . . her name "Gay". yes that was her legal name. When she was seventeen she eloped with some guy who was probably a lot of fun, and I bet they thought they were having a gay time.

I was the paperboy who rode my bike past her house every day, leaving the Salt Lake Tribune on her parents' doorstep. I thought it was a very nice name for a pretty girl.

Had a straight up MILF in a ward we went to in the NSL years ago. Her name? Gaynal. Serious as a heart attack. I would have liked to give her the gaynal, if you know what I mean... Eh, eh?

Can't believe there's over 50 pages on this already... could someone please give me a quick bullet point summary?

1) You're a moron.
2) See number 1.

Lmao.

Do yourself a favour, and google the FRC-- along with how legitimate their "studies" are.
This isn't a study by the FRC; it was published in what looks to be a legitimate peer reviewed journal. Further, the author of the article KKK referenced detailed one key limitation of the study: The majority of children of same sex couples did not actually live in a home with two same sex parents. Children were only required to have a parent who had at some time been in a same sex relationship to be included in the treatment group (I assume sample size was the issue here, given that children of homosexual males had to be excluded entirely). It's unclear if this same limitation applied to the control group, children of heterosexual parents (i.e. It's unclear from the article if any of these children were raised in single parent homes). Further, there's no discussion of selection in the FRC article. It's entirely possible that homosexual parents adopt children who are more prone to future behavioral problems, especially if adoption agencies have a preference for heterosexual adoptive parents. This problem would be made worse if the children of heterosexual parents were more likely to be raised in two parent homes because undoubtedly single adoptive parents get higher risk children than married couples. All of this ignores, of course, that allowing these homosexual parents to marry, and having a culture that doesn't ostracize these children would likely lead to better outcomes for the children of homosexual parents.

I haven't read the original study, but it sounds as if both selection and causality are HUGE problems (even in an article written by a dude who thinks homosexuality should be illegal). I probably won't read it.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have any links to such studies? I do not have a horse in this race, but I would be curious to read about some studies done that disprove this kind of stuff, as I have heard similar stuff anecdotally for years but it isn't my personal anecdotal observations with my same-sex couple friends.

I'm in a course that has a textbook citing to several of the studies, if I recall correctly.

I'm currently working on a presentation to present to my lab tomorrow, but I'll try and throw some together later this week if I can. Remind me if I forget.

Do you happen to have any links to such studies? I do not have a horse in this race, but I would be curious to read about some studies done that disprove this kind of stuff, as I have heard similar stuff anecdotally for years but it isn't my personal anecdotal observations with my same-sex couple friends.

This isn't a study by the FRC; it was published in what looks to be a legitimate peer reviewed journal.

You clearly haven't looked very much into the article posted by KKK. It's quite infamous, and it's been blasted/denounced widely across academia.

Two hundred social scientists signed a letter citing “serious concerns about the scholarly merit of this paper.” The journal that published the paper commissioned an audit assessing problems with the peer-review process. The audit found “serious flaws and distortions that were not simply ignored, but lauded” in the review process. It found blatant conflicts of interest in that “all three of the respondents to these papers have ties to the Witherspoon Institute,” the conservative religious organization that funded the study with roughly $700,000. Referring to the Regnerus study and a companion piece, the audit concluded that “neither paper should have been published.” In a separate interview with the Chronicle of Higher Education, Darren E. Sherkat, the designated reviewer, dismissed the entire study as “********.”

Or

https://sites.la.utexas.edu/utausti...-from-the-chair-regarding-professor-regnerus/

Like all faculty, Dr. Regnerus has the right to pursue his areas of research and express his point of view. However, Dr. Regnerus’ opinions are his own. They do not reflect the views of the Sociology Department of The University of Texas at Austin. Nor do they reflect the views of the American Sociological Association, which takes the position that the conclusions he draws from his study of gay parenting are fundamentally flawed on conceptual and methodological grounds and that findings from Dr. Regnerus’ work have been cited inappropriately in efforts to diminish the civil rights and legitimacy of LBGTQ partners and their families. We encourage society as a whole to evaluate his claims.

The Sociology Department at The University of Texas at Austin aspires to achieve academic excellence in research, teaching, and public service at the highest level in our discipline. We strive to do so in a context that is based on the highest ethical standards of our discipline and in a context that actively promotes and supports diversity among our faculty and student populations.

Don't bother reading it.

Nah I'm not against gay couples, I'm just curious about how children fared under these same-sex arrangements. To me the most important thing is the children - they shouldn't be subjected to discrimination based on the lifestyle that their parents have chosen.

It's good to know that the children you've met are THRILLED, but at the same time it is also possible that children who aren't happy about having gay parents may be less likely to speak up about their experiences as this is a bit of a controversial subject.

If anyone else has any new studies, supportive or otherwise, I would love to see them.

Canadian government conducted studies on gay relationships and polygamous ones when talks were to legalize both marriages.

Gay marriage prevailed, polygamous marriage did not.

Again, It's been roughly ten years since Canada has legalized gay marriage. I implore you to look into any negative impacts or repercussions from this decision.

I remember reading research on food studies when I was younger and super interested in Nutrition. Read some super positive study about the health effects of eggs, but then learned a year later that the study was funded by the Egg Lobby (not the actual name of the lobby, but you get what I mean). Turns out recent information shows eggs are actually pretty unhealthy.

No I haven't looked into it. I said I'm not interested in an argument about it, just curious what research is out there on the same subject that would be credible.

Research like this finds what the researchers want it to. The truth is loving responsible parents raise loving responsible people.

https://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/10/30/1110591/regnerus-admits-gay-parenting/

An internal audit by the academic journal that originally published it found the conclusions to be “bull****” because Regnerus’s criteria was whether a kid’s parent ever had a same-sex relationship, regardless of how long it lasted or what role in played in parenting. In a new interview with Focus on the Family — a group invested in continuing to cite the study to oppose LGBT equality — Regnerus admits that the foundation of his study is too weak to draw the conclusions that many have made:

REGNERUS: I got taken to task for leaning on young adults’ assessments of their parents’ relationships. I didn’t ask them whether they thought their mom was a lesbian or if their dad was gay...I didn’t want to make the assumption that these young adults would identify their parents as gay or lesbian, so I kept the focus on relationship behavior. [...]

And when pushed, a lot of people who were critics of mine will say: “Yeah, we know that, obviously, family structure matters,” and then they’ll complain, “Why didn’t you find many stably coupled lesbians?” Well, they just were not that common in the nationally representative population. There were two cases where they said the mom and her partner lived together for 18 years. There was another several who lived together for 15 or 13 years. So, stability in the sense of long-term was not common. And frankly, it’s not all that common among heterosexual population. I take pains in the study to say this is not about saying gay or lesbian parents are inherently bad...."

...So, Regnerus’ study was not about parents who openly identify as gay or lesbian. It was not about same-sex couples in long-term relationships raising children together. Regnerus even admits “this is not about saying gay or lesbian parents are inherently bad,” because he knows has no foundation on which to make such a claim. This was a study about unstable couples, possibly in sham marriages, who may have dabbled in same-sex relationships outside of their original marriage at a time when there was no recognition for same-sex couples anywhere in the country. In others words, the study’s results have zero implication for conversations in 2012 about out, committed same-sex couples who are already raising children.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunday-commentary/20130614-mark-regnerus-defending-my-research-on-same-sex-parenting.ece

here's another link with some good insight from Mark Regnerus about this study - some key points:

* not sure when the study was done, but the "children" interviewed were as old as 39 at the time of the interviews

* parents did not self-identify as gay, but were known to have had a same-sex liaison at some point during the time the "children" were still living in the home

* today’s standards about orientation and openness differ greatly from the social realities of two or three decades ago

I remember reading research on food studies when I was younger and super interested in Nutrition. Read some super positive study about the health effects of eggs, but then learned a year later that the study was funded by the Egg Lobby (not the actual name of the lobby, but you get what I mean). Turns out recent information shows eggs are actually pretty unhealthy.
but then another study showed eggs are healthy again
those damm eggs cant make up their stupid mind.

Back