What's new

Hawks want Quin

Its been a while since a coach was "traded" but I think its usually a weird simultaneous transaction. Like we release his contract or they assume his contract and then we trade the draft rights to some terrible player we have for a second round pick... I think the trade deadline being over does apply because when you are doing trades you have to trade something... and a coach isn't necessarily something we can trade in a traditional sense.

If we get anything it will be financial considerations and maybe a wink and a nod to do another minor deal in the offseason. It would be tricky but I don't see us having any leverage that we would realistically exercise.
Are you saying that the Jazz letting Quin go to Atlanta might be a........ down payment?

The Jazz will get no compensation other than not having to pay Quin's contract.

I think Quin will be good for them, but I'm interested in seeing how he manages the personalities on that roster. Quin was loved by his players, even players on opposites sides of the locker room. Mitchell defended Quin to the end and so did Rudy....but even with approval from both that obviously did not mean he was able to bridge the gap between the players. I think Quin is loved by his players because he will always defend them and he also never gives them pushback.

Its been a while since a coach was "traded" but I think its usually a weird simultaneous transaction. Like we release his contract or they assume his contract and then we trade the draft rights to some terrible player we have for a second round pick... I think the trade deadline being over does apply because when you are doing trades you have to trade something... and a coach isn't necessarily something we can trade in a traditional sense.

If we get anything it will be financial considerations and maybe a wink and a nod to do another minor deal in the offseason. It would be tricky but I don't see us having any leverage that we would realistically exercise.
I actually think we have quite a bit of leverage. I think hawks management still have very high expectations for this year despite underachieving so far. Doing a deal now also keeps Quin from hitting what could be a competitive coaching market this offseason. I'm confident Ainge would 100% use that leverage if he was the only decision maker but I won't be surprised if Ryan Smith want to play the nice guy.

Are you saying that the Jazz letting Quin go to Atlanta might be a........ down payment?
Down payment is strong here. This is more a favor they owe someday... and maybe we never actually cash it in. More like someone saying "if you're ever in the neighborhood stop by and lunch is on me" type of thing. We may never be in the neighborhood.

They must like having 0 adjustments and enjoy watching the opposing coaches try things while Snyder continues to bang the same plan into the wall. Sounds like a great opportunity to get players for cheap next year

They must like having 0 adjustments and enjoy watching the opposing coaches try things while Snyder continues to bang the same plan into the wall. Sounds like a great opportunity to get players for cheap next year
Snyder had such a strange tenure here. He started so creative and seemed to have a player development focus but by the end it just felt like he became complacent and lost a little passion. There are clearly 2 versions of Snyder and I would expect him to be refreshed and do a really good job for the hawks for at least the first couple years.

Can I talk to you about selling essential oils from home? Just a small start up fee and if you get your family and friends involved, they will be millionaires, too.
Will it go well with the toothpaste and the jeggings I am selling now?

Snyder is under contract with the Jazz till the end of next season. Quin basically retired under contract. The Jazz will recieve compensation if he intends to go to the Hawks. Financial, and pick(s) would be likely.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Snyder is under contract with the Jazz till the end of next season. Quin basically retired under contract. The Jazz will recieve compensation if he intends to go to the Hawks. Financial, and pick(s) would be likely.

I will be absolutely stunned if the Jazz end up getting a pick.

We’re not getting picks. However, I did hear that if we release him from his contract, Quin has a garage full of unused coach’s challenges saved up that he’s willing to leave with the franchise.

We’re not getting picks. However, I did hear that if we release him from his contract, Quin has a garage full of unused coach’s challenges saved up that he’s willing to leave with the franchise.
Just don't pop the trunk of the car in the garage... and ignore the smell.

He had a 23-24 coaches option so I think he is only under contract until the end of this year.

I believe that if the Hawks are going to add players or coaches to the roster then it must be done by the hard cutoff that is upon us. Hence the urgency.

Makes sense if Quin goes to the Hawks since he was loved there as an assistant coach. If he does end up going, I doubt draft picks are changing hands. Mostly financial. The Hawks can wait 3 months and get him for nothing. It's mostly about how much they will pay him that vs. how much we owe him. Much like the Wesbrook sitch. It's a coach's buyout.

If we get any assets for Quin, then I Danny Ainge should be a Presidential candidate.

It would be pretty petty and a general bad look for the Jazz to try to get compensation for Snyder at this point. At most they might pay a little towards the salary we owe him for the rest of the season.

It would be pretty petty and a general bad look for the Jazz to try to get compensation for Snyder at this point. At most they might pay a little towards the salary we owe him for the rest of the season.
I disagree. I think it’s critical for teams to actually demand compensation in situations like this. There’s a reason the system is set up to reward teams if a coach wants to leave before his contract ends. Jazz won’t get much, but they should try to get something.

I disagree. I think it’s critical for teams to actually demand compensation in situations like this. There’s a reason the system is set up to reward teams if a coach wants to leave before his contract ends. Jazz won’t get much, but they should try to get something.
Maybe if there was a decent amount of time on his contract or even a whole season, but but not when it's a couple months. We don't have much leverage and it just creates ill will towards us when it comes to future interactions.

Maybe if there was a decent amount of time on his contract or even a whole season, but but not when it's a couple months. We don't have much leverage and it just creates ill will towards us when it comes to future interactions.
I don’t entirely disagree, but if you constantly roll over because it’ll create ill will, you’re always going to get rolled.

The Jazz have something that the Hawks want. Supply and demand. Even though there’s only a few months left, they should give up something to get him.

Negotiate quietly, and come to some sort of mutual agreement so it doesn’t get nasty, but hold firm. I still remember when DA wouldn’t work out any sort of deal with the Jazz to create a trade exception for Hayward. That’s what I want to see now.

I don’t entirely disagree, but if you constantly roll over because it’ll create ill will, you’re always going to get rolled.

The Jazz have something that the Hawks want. Supply and demand. Even though there’s only a few months left, they should give up something to get him.

Negotiate quietly, and come to some sort of mutual agreement so it doesn’t get nasty, but hold firm. I still remember when DA wouldn’t work out any sort of deal with the Jazz to create a trade exception for Hayward. That’s what I want to see now.

Honestly, if the Hawks don't sign Quinn now, he will have better options in the off season.