What's new

Hayward getting extension???

Sick to my stomach.
We need myth busters, asap.

Lol
And this.

Not feelin any love for these types of rumors..... not gonna let this "news" ruin my day

If the rumors are true then.....
#dayruined

I am slightly optimistic you are right Qman. I am also dreadfully skeered.

I'm afraid that Lindsey talked Miller into tanking...and then the final $$$ numbers came back with the projections for this upcoming year and Miller went, "HOLY ****. I'm going to lose money last year and this year, for what? A chance at a title that I don't care about? OR, I could pay these guys here, get a couple of idiotic fans excited about making the playoffs again, and pull down huge profits to fund my stupid racetrack that no one cares about. I'm taking the money and running."

As much as everyone talks about how much Larry loved the Jazz, he never ponied up for a title. He wasn't willing to spend a little more to get that guy in here. Why would we think his kids, who don't seem to care as much about the Jazz, would suddenly be willing to make huge sacrifices for this team, in a down economy, and when their race track is hemorrhaging money? Especially when we have seen that a lot more fans would be happy with making the playoffs as a 6-8th seed every year than a few bad years and a chance at greatness?

This is what worries me.

Hayward will get a lot ( bout what Favors got per year), but he isn't getting the max.

What we really should be hoping for is that these contracts are front loaded. Then they won't sting really.

Hayward will get a lot ( bout what Favors got per year), but he isn't getting the max.

What we really should be hoping for is that these contracts are front loaded. Then they won't sting really.

This is correct. If they're front-loaded it changes everything and we shift our focus to hoping they all stay healthy.

You mean give H a deal that pays him more next year and then leans out as more money is needed to extend / sign other players?

Maybe. I'm still dubious

Yes. With what we have coming off the books, potentially, next year, we have around $30mm (iirc) in cap space.
Lets say we re-sign Rush for around $4 and sign a MAX free agent (hypothetically, of course), we still have about $10mm we can throw at front-loaded contracts.

If we gave all of that Hayward (for simple math), it could lower his next four years salary to more affordable levels... albeit still pretty pricey.. but better

5 years 52 million?

maxwell_smart__confused.gif

Do we want Hayward to be our designated player? I'd prefer 2014 draftee or Kanter to be the designated player depending on his performance this year.

I have been thinking about that and does it really matter? Kanter and the 2014 picks will all know that the 5 years is not an option so they just have to deal with it. Ultimately Utah can pay them more money than anyone else or at least match an offers made.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];678876 said:
Oof. Nothing to add.

I'll repeat:

no way a max extension is given (on logical grounds). You play the market for that.

Whatever it is, it better be front loaded

True.

Yes. With what we have coming off the books, potentially, next year, we have around $30mm (iirc) in cap space.
Lets say we re-sign Rush for around $4 and sign a MAX free agent (hypothetically, of course), we still have about $10mm we can throw at front-loaded contracts.

If we gave all of that Hayward (for simple math), it could lower his next four years salary to more affordable levels... albeit still pretty pricey.. but better

Out of that 10 million how will the two rookies we land in the draft cut into that? Also this time next year we will be looking at extending Kanter and Burks...

the 52 million 5 year being thrown around averages out to 10.4 a year. Is that really that bad?