What's new

HC candidates

Since we know the Jazz are not in any rush to make a choice and have stated they do not need a coach to make personnel decisions (trades, draft and free agency) they may use these interviews to see who fits best on whatever decisions they end up making.

So they are not tied to a coach or tied to any one decision, they can truly make choices on best value and go back to which coach then fits based on the decisions they had made.

As I typed that it didn't seem as realistic as when I first had the thought, well other then if they went full rebuild versus retooling then that might change who they think is the best coach for the job/fit.

This **** and the Gobert situation (we're shopping the wrong guy I tell ya) are driving me insane! This morning I see this article https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/head-coach-final-candidates-johnnie-bryant-alex-jensen-will-hardy which states that the Jazz have narrowed their search to four candidates as listed. This completely contradicts a story that came out yesterday afternoon in the Deseret News that states that according to Shams Charania of the Athletic, almost all of the original fifteen candidates will be getting second interviews. Then there's this fluff piece on Frank Vogel that KSL released just two hours ago https://kslsports.com/488479/utah-jazz-coaching-candidate-frank-vogel/ .

I was hopeful that we'd at least give Kenny Atkinson an interview now that he's available again. I mean all Atkinson wants is a fair shake (Borrego took a young squad without an NBA center to the playoffs last two years) and a nice place for his kids to go to school - perfect for him. Why can't my Jazz dreams ever come true?

This **** and the Gobert situation (we're shopping the wrong guy I tell ya) are driving me insane! This morning I see this article https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/head-coach-final-candidates-johnnie-bryant-alex-jensen-will-hardy which states that the Jazz have narrowed their search to four candidates as listed. This completely contradicts a story that came out yesterday afternoon in the Deseret News that states that according to Shams Charania of the Athletic, almost all of the original fifteen candidates will be getting second interviews. Then there's this fluff piece on Frank Vogel that KSL released just two hours ago https://kslsports.com/488479/utah-jazz-coaching-candidate-frank-vogel/ .

I was hopeful that we'd at least give Kenny Atkinson an interview now that he's available again. I mean all Atkinson wants is a fair shake (Borrego took a young squad without an NBA center to the playoffs last two years) and a nice place for his kids to go to school - perfect for him. Why can't my Jazz dreams ever come true?
There’s some chronological problems here. First the report came out on the final four, then a day later reports said we were re-interviewing everyone.

There’s some chronological problems here. First the report came out on the final four, then a day later reports said we were re-interviewing everyone.
Possibly, I guess. What I saw was that the final four story was 18 hours old whereas the re-interview story was 22 hours old. I'd be happy to be wrong on this although I doubt that Shams Charania would be! I mean either he got his facts wrong or the organization reversed course. What I mean to say is that regardless which story came first, they are still conflicting narratives.

Last edited:
Since we know the Jazz are not in any rush to make a choice and have stated they do not need a coach to make personnel decisions (trades, draft and free agency) they may use these interviews to see who fits best on whatever decisions they end up making.

So they are not tied to a coach or tied to any one decision, they can truly make choices on best value and go back to which coach then fits based on the decisions they had made.

As I typed that it didn't seem as realistic as when I first had the thought, well other then if they went full rebuild versus retooling then that might change who they think is the best coach for the job/fit.
Which is why I think the Johnnie Bryant hire is inevitable. Has a good relationship with Don and is familiar with the rest of our roster, known for his player development, and he's young so if we do rebuild with young players he's someone that can weather the storm.

The rising expectation in coaching circles is that Utah, with Danny Ainge entrenched as the club’s new CEO, wants to hire a young first-time coach to replace Quin Snyder. Among the assistant coaches said to have made a strong impression on the Jazz to date include Celtics assistant Will Hardy, who was a Gregg Popovich favorite with San Antonio (and USA Basketball) before making the jump to Ime Udoka's Year 1 staff in Boston, along with Suns assistant coach Kevin Young.

I had a dream about Jeff Hornacek last night. Take that for what it’s worth.

Well when Quin was hired he around 47, which is not young but not old either.

To relate that to popular rumored candidates.

Alex Jensen is 46 (oh man we're born the same year)
Johnnie Bryan is 36
Griffin is 47

Not that he was a candidate but Atkinson is 55

Andy Larsen on ESPN 700 said he would probably put Will Hardy and Kevin Young right up there with Johnnie Bryant in terms of front runners at this point...both guys have really impressed in their interviews. Said he's hearing the Jazz want to go young and don't want a retread. Said they want someone that connects to the players, also said the Jazz were pleased with the player development during Quins first 5 years and they've been disappointed with it the last 3 seasons, and they'd like that to improve under the next head coach.