What's new

HC candidates

Quin and his FO during his era only knew one way to coach - run it all around the big man. We blew so many assets on big men in his era:

Tony Bradley
Ed Davis
Keeping Favors too long then bringing him back
Doke
Whiteside

Am I missing anybody? So many assets spent drafting these players, signing these players and dumping these players.

He's only been successful with one guy - Rudy Gobert. You want to know why Quin left? Likely because the only big he could ever succeed with won't be on the team in the fall.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Most of this was DL tbh

Quin and his FO during his era only knew one way to coach - run it all around the big man. We blew so many assets on big men in his era:

Tony Bradley
Ed Davis
Doke
Whiteside

Am I missing anybody? So many assets spent drafting these players, signing these players and dumping these players.

He's only been successful with one guy - Rudy Gobert. You want to know why Quin left? Likely because the only big he could ever succeed with won't be on the team in the fall.

Quin coached teams that led the league in defense and led the league in offense - which is quite rare - so saying he knew one way to coach may be as overly simplistic as you can get. Once we got Rudy and he started to develop we had a scheme both offensively and defensively with a dominant big. So we pursued good back ups because you dont want to change the scheme for one substitution. He also did a tremendous job of developing talent so acting like we were centric on one position is a miss on reality. The fact that people on this board are twisted about Butler has caused some to forget how good he was and how good the staff was at finding and developing players. Quin was a great coach and I just hope his replacement will be as good.

No reason whatsoever to be in a hurry on this hire which is what they have said they would do from day one.
One would assume however, that with a primarily veteran roster and no complete rebuild, that more coaches with head coaching experience in this league would be considered.

Tony Bradley
Ed Davis
Doke
Whiteside

Agree with this save Doke. The injuries are concerning but I think he’s ready for some burn behind Gobert (assuming we keep him).

Tony Bradley
Ed Davis
Doke
Whiteside

Trying to find a backup doesn't mean quin was "running it all around the big man." None of those guys were meant to play serious minutes, just when Rudy sat.
It's not Quin's fault DL kept swinging and missing on what should have been something simple.

Trying to find a backup doesn't mean quin was "running it all around the big man." None of those guys were meant to play serious minutes, just when Rudy sat.
It's not Quin's fault DL kept swinging and missing on what should have been something simple.
I don't think Quin did a bad job.

The guy coached a scheme that worked in the regular season around Rudy. I'm sure he had plenty of input on what the roster needed to progress. It's more than just a coincidence that we kept trying to find a rim protecting big to offset Rudy minutes.

I just made my original post with this response to point out that I hope our new coach can run multiple systems since Quin didn't seem capable.

I don't think Quin did a bad job.

The guy coached a scheme that worked in the regular season around Rudy. I'm sure he had plenty of input on what the roster needed to progress. It's more than just a coincidence that we kept trying to find a rim protecting big to offset Rudy minutes.

I just made my original post with this response to point out that I hope our new coach can run multiple systems since Quin didn't seem capable.

Hopefully he forces the rest of the team outside of Rudy to play defense.

I will say this: if the thinking is to get a brand new coach, I think that’s a good sign that the organization knows where this is all ultimately headed. Would rather them stop dragging their feet but the problem would be worse if the Jazz were signing a Terry Stotts to a (likely huge) deal.

Just like about anything else, teams are constructed on the good, bad and neutral actions of everyone involved, seasoned with luck.
DL made some bad choices but some good ones too. Quin did a lot of things good and some probably not that much, but he absolutely squeeze almost all that was there to be squeezed.
Ownership changed, franchise culture is evolving, new alpha daugs out there, lots of things to be settled out...
Sometimes you do things mostly right for quite some time and then a couple misses/changes here and there just stuck you in the mud.
This team was constructed to go deep. They just fail at the last touches.
Don't want to be too critical on our guys.

That and run a system that's not designed to keep one player in his comfort area.

Oh, and Rudy will be gone so everybody will play a normal defense.

Exactly... I remember you saying that Mitchell shouldn't be guarding his own man in Brunson... Remember? That he's needed on offense not defense?

Exactly... I remember you saying that Mitchell shouldn't be guarding his own man in Brunson... Remember? That he's needed on offense not defense?
Mitchell wasn't guarding Brunson regardless. I don't know if you know this, but most primary offensive players don't guard the other team's primary offensive player.

Mitchell was on DFS. Royce and Conley guarded Brunson and Dinwiddie. Then Doncic and Brunson. It's called matchups.

I never said Don wasn't needed on defense. He will get switched onto players he must guard better. However, his focus is offense.

I think where it totally went sideways in terms of personnel was when DL said "Derrick Favors isn't the problem" with him then getting shipped to the Pels. Think back to that time: The Jazz had plenty of assets in their quiver and they were not in the tax. Also about that time Raul Neto gets dumped. I think this is important because he and Rudy G were pals. At the time there were two bigs playing for the Stars that would have been decent backups to Gobert in Willie Reed and Isaac Haas. Neither of those two see a second with the Jazz. Bradley is drafted, Ed Davis and Uncle Jeff are signed, Uncle Jeff gets waived, Rayjohn Tucker is signed, Favors is resigned, Oni, Brantley, and JWF are drafted and Conley is traded for. The Jazz trade assets to make Davis, Favors, Bradley, Tucker and Oni go away, there are the assets traded for Conley and in that deal there were plenty of hurt feelings from Rubio, Korver, Grayson Allen, and Jae Crowder. So were all these moves all from DL, did Quin have a say in things but I think everyone can say they were effed up. Just think if the team had let Favors initial contract expire, promote the Stars bigs and keep their assests. They might have found money to keep Neto at a small salary.

Like a couple of others have said, the lack of player development that started 2-3yrs ago was the same time the roster shifted to more veteran and more offensive. Before that shift of win now mode it was evident that there was good player development.

So both things can be true and likely are in this case, Snyder and his coaching staff are and were good at player development but once the roster shifted to it's current state the focus became win now and inherently some player development will take a hit. There was a shift in mentality, however player development took too much of a hit as there wasn't enough of a middle ground but outside of Butler the talent of the rookies or young kids brought in hasn't been all that great.

Niang was developed and benefited from Quin to get a good contract from PHI.

Forrest was trying to be developed but that is, to be determined still but not looking great.

Doke has been very injury prone and hasn't helped his conditioning issues either but he still has promise of being a decent back up C.

outside of that everyone else I can think of that fits as young talent that needed development is out of the league.

I hope Jensen stays on if he doesn't get the job as his experience will be much needed for Hardy or Bryant IMO, but I also get if he doesn't feel comfortable staying but if the team still loves him (which they do based on the players backing him for the job) I would hope he stays.