What's new

Head Coach Jerry Sloan to resign today :(

Quite honestly, this is GREAT news.

Not because we're losing Sloan. That's a nightmare.

It's great because every dumbass b-ball know it all Sloan hater is about to get owned.

Within 2 months we will lose 25% of posters, who happen to be the absolute WORST posters on this board.

Praise Jebus.

Rep +1

1 - Looking forward to Deron thriving under his own leadership, which as of lately, seems to suck ***.

2 - Really, really looking forward to the expert nimrods who will slowly fade into the background in the next few months.

Maybe Byron Scott will get COY after all.

Last time I moved out of the country for 2 years Frank Layden resigned, and now it happens again. Somewhat surprised...I'll be interested to read more as this unfolds.

Jerry Sloan is resigning in part because of a strained relationship with Deron Williams, sources tell Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski.
According to beat writer Brian Smith, Williams and Sloan have had multiple flareups this season. And after their latest one Wednesday night, Sloan decided to give it up after 23 seasons as Utah's coach. Wojnarowski notes that the ownership was listening more to Williams -- a free agent in the summer of 2012 -- more than Sloan. Williams may have only been willing to re-sign in Utah if Sloan was gone, making for a sad ending for one of sports' greatest coaches. Assistant Ty Corbin is set to step in as the acting coach with a deal to become the long-term coach possibly coming later.

How has ownership been listening to Deron more? If they were, we would've traded AK for a legit 2 or they would even had drafted Hayward.

We need a bronze version of this welcoming patrons to the ESA. ASAP.

690325764.jpg

It will be interesting to see all the fallout from this. Hopefully after the press conference some of the reasons for it will become more clear. It certainly seems that it was not Sloan's choice... everyone's using the word "resign," but it's just spin control for the Jazz management and ownership, I think... they don't want to own up to actually "firing" a legend like Sloan.

I'm pretty down right now. I still believe Sloan is the right coach for this team. We've been through losing streaks before on his watch, and always managed to turn it around. This year has been particularly difficult with the loss of Boozer, the near-total absence of Okur due to numerous injuries, and an infusion of new players who were still trying to learn the Jazz's complex system. Sloan must certainly take some responsibility for the hole we've dug for ourselves this season, but I still tend to think most of it was beyond his control. I'm forced to wonder with this decision, most of all, whether this ever would have happened if Larry were still alive. When push came to shove, Larry was loyal to both his star players and his star coach, almost to a fault. But I've admired the Jazz as an organization for a long time in large part because it historically hasn't made quick reactionary moves to adversity; they've had remarkable consistency from top to bottom, from the management to the coaching staff to the players. They were perhaps the only team in the league where the inmates (players) weren't running the asylum (the team). And now I can't help but feel that the Jazz are beginning to lose their identity, and joining the rest of the NBA's culture of the players claiming all of the glory while deflecting the blame to someone else, whether it be the coach, the GM, or some other teammate. A sad day indeed.

And if Williams is the primary cause here, I've just lost a lot of respect for him. He should know better than anyone that he's benefitted from being in an offensive system that centers so heavily around the PG. Bitter as he may have been that Sloan gave him little time in his rookie year, he has benfitted enormously since then. And Sloan, to his credit, learned from the experience, playing promising rookies to a far greater degree than he had done previously. Williams is undeniably a great player, and I certainly don't want him to leave the team, but this is looking like a troubling instance of a me-first attitude that the Jazz have always sought to avoid and overcome.

Time will tell if this was the right decision. But I can't help but feel right now, at this moment, that this is a mistake. I hope I'm wrong.

How is Jerry the best coach for this team if the team tuned him out?
What are you not getting about that?

A big question I have is are the Jazz going to trade Dwill. He's obviously leaving, and getting something for him seems to be a decent move.

Last time I moved out of the country for 2 years Frank Layden resigned, and now it happens again. Somewhat surprised...I'll be interested to read more as this unfolds.

My first year of having season tickets was 1988-89. This is going to be strange having no Jerry.

I truly hope that Deron is not the reason for this and he is not a coach killer. There has been other coach killers such as Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, etc. But, no player has killed a coach that has been with the organization for 22.5 years. If Deron was the reason for this, his career will be looked at differently.

Look on the bright side... any player you thought shot the ball like crap will shoot the ball like crap 2 to 3 times as much per game... no one to bench their sorry ***.

Way to go Greg Miller! The downside of the Jazz begins today until we're finally gone!

I truly hope that Deron is not the reason for this and he is not a coach killer. There has been other coach killers such as Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, etc. But, no player has killed a coach that has been with the organization for 22.5 years. If Deron was the reason for this, his career will be looked at differently.

Wat?

There has been no other tenured coach at 22.5 years.