What's new

Head Coach Jerry Sloan to resign today :(

If Deron has forced Sloan out, I will no longer support Deron. Period. Stockton is 10 times the player Deron will ever be, and Stockton was always respectful of Sloan and never knifed Sloan in the back. I hope Deron has not forced this event. I hope he is not the ringleader in a player revolt. This kind of crap simply does not happen on the Jazz. We get rid of bad egg players, we don't get rid of the coach. I am so not happy about any of this.

If Deron has forced Sloan out, I will no longer support Deron. Period. Stockton is 10 times the player Deron will ever be, and Stockton was always respectful of Sloan and never knifed Sloan in the back. I hope Deron has not forced this event. I hope he is not the ringleader in a player revolt. This kind of crap simply does not happen on the Jazz. We get rid of bad egg players, we don't get rid of the coach. I am so not happy about any of this.

Please get over yourself.

wow.

i'm stunned, saddened... and excited.

don't be too quick to throw williams under a bus. it's likely that several players feel just like he does, however as the natural leader of this team he is the more outspoken and as the superstar he receives a lot more media focus.

people have changed, society has changed and nba players have changed. you can't manage them the way we did 20, 30 years ago.

it has been becoming apparent for a while that jerry has 'lost' his players and that's hard to bounce back from. it also means that a change at the top isn't a bad thing.

still, let's show some respect for what jerry did for the organisation. a great character, an amazing achievement, but 23 years coaching the same team is unnatural.

wow.

i'm stunned, saddened... and excited.

don't be too quick to throw williams under a bus. it's likely that several players feel just like he does, however as the natural leader of this team he is the more outspoken and as the superstar he receives a lot more media focus.

people have changed, society has changed and nba players have changed. you can't manage them the way we did 20, 30 years ago.

it has been becoming apparent for a while that jerry has 'lost' his players and that's hard to bounce back from. it also means that a change at the top isn't a bad thing.

still, let's show some respect for what jerry did for the organisation. a great character, an amazing achievement, but 23 years coaching the same team is unnatural.

+1. Someone with a brain. I liked Sloan as much as the next guy, but it's exciting to finally have some change. It was sad to see Karl and John retire, but it was also exciting to start new.

The Jazz are going to run without a coach for the rest of the season?

If Deon was willing to step on Sloan's toes... he'll walk all over the guy who replaces him... So for all intents and purposes no coach will be replacing him. Deron runs the team now and we will see what happens in the future.

I dont think its about hating Sloan. I think its about wanting and accepting change and willing to take a risk...

If a team has tuned out the coach then it's time for a change. You can't go forward when your star player, and most of the team aren't in sync with the coach anymore.
People that are scared of change just want to ride out Sloan's system forever. It had to end sometime, and now was that time. When you've lost the team what
good are you as a coach?

If Deon was willing to step on Sloan's toes... he'll walk all over the guy who replaces him... So for all intents and purposes no coach will be replacing him. Deron runs the team now and we will see what happens in the future.

An incredibly emotional post.

Don't have time to read all the posts right now, but I for one am sad to see Sloan and Phil go. The extension shows that the organization felt he was the right guy for the job. I wish him well and hope that this gaping hole can be filled. I cringe when I think of the teams that have gone through coaching changes. Some pan out, others just seem to change coaches like they change underwear and those teams are usually don't win a lot of games.

This is the ending of an era for me. Sloan, Johnson, Hot Rod, Stockton, Malone. He was like the last piece standing of what I remember to be the best days of the Utah Jazz to this point. I hope the next era can go beyond what happened in that era. For now, nobody has been able to replace any of those guys with the exception of possibly Dwill heading in that direction.

Also I heard Raja say on KFAN that some guys liked him and those who didn't have their reasons. Sounds like we have obvious coach-player differences on this team, and Dwill is the only one that I can think of that has been vocal with the media about it. Raja also said Sloan was much more relaxed vs. his first stint with the Jazz.

If it be a players vs. coach issue, I just may have to become a Spurs fan out of principle. Aren't they exactly what the Jazz have aspired to be the past decade, but actually win?

tribjazz Brian T. Smith
To be clear: Issues with Sloan weren't just with Williams. Multiple key players have been frustrated with Sloan.

Also I heard Raja say on KFAN that some guys liked him and those who didn't have their reasons. Sounds like we have obvious coach-player differences on this team, and Dwill is the only one that I can think of that has been vocal with the media about it. Raja also said Sloan was much more relaxed vs. his first stint with the Jazz.

All the reports Im reading say that it was more than one player that had issues...

This is a scary thought. It's like parents that allow their children to be involved in major decisions for the family. The child will expect to be involved more going forward. If the child is mature and wise enough this can be positive, but if not, it has destroyed most of the ability to parent, or in this case coach.

I pray that Dwill is smart enough to handle being listened to over a coach.

Ok, listening to the commentary, I gotta say that I'm a bit nauseated by the hagiography surrounding Sloan. I respect the guy like hell, but listening to all this, you'd think the guy sh**s marble. It's not the friggn' apocalypse. Much of it also appears to be a romantic attachment to 'old school' and disparagement of the 'modern day athlete.' Geez, things change, they evolve, nothing remains constant. This longing for the 'good old days' (which are inevitably never as good as romantically imagined) just gets annoying after awhile.