What's new

Head Coach Jerry Sloan to resign today :(

I can't watch any of this PC but I'm curious how Ty sounds. I know everyone said he sounds classy. But does he sound intelligent? Truly intelligent in a Phil or Pops type of way? I'm curious.

There's a difference between being "pushed-out" and not having full-support of management and ownership. Sloan's had players and teams turn on him before, and he can deal with that - but not if he doesn't have full support of the organization behind him. Sloan and Deron clashing at halftime isn't as big as Sloan and O'Connor afterward. Sloan knew what he was up against and realized he couldn't do his best in that situation - and he was right. Phil is as loyal an assistant and friend as one can have, and he wasn't going to take Jerry's seat (or look over Ty's shoulder) because he shares much of Sloan's coaching principles.

Sloan and Phil couldn't have been more classy or gracious in that press-conference. Personally it was hard enough for me to sit there and listen to Greg filibuster, and I can't imagine having to sit next go a guy who probably hasn't worked as hard in his entire life as Sloan has in one day and listen to him spout that stuff.

Jerry and Phil were two brilliant basketball minds and two even better people who the game of basketball will greatly miss.

This sucks, man. Tough day.

I can't watch any of this PC but I'm curious how Ty sounds. I know everyone said he sounds classy. But does he sound intelligent? Truly intelligent in a Phil or Pops type of way? I'm curious.

Ty sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I'm hoping he is more of a Sloan 2.0, where he believes in the system but with more flexibility and adjustment.

I wonder if Greg and/or KOC ever offered to unload Deron if Sloan stayed on as coach?

Why would you dump your all-star heading into his prime for an aging coach at the end of his career?

This is a players league, and always will be.

"If you're of the opinion that Deron Williams forced Jerry Sloan to retire, just understand what you are saying about Jerry Sloan." --David Locke

I think he was referring to the comments that Jerry made where he said that Deron was not a dominant factor in his (Jerry's) decision.

"If you're of the opinion that Deron Williams forced Jerry Sloan to retire, just understand what you are saying about Jerry Sloan." --David Locke

I think he was referring to the comments that Jerry made where he said that Deron was not a dominant factor in his (Jerry's) decision.
I think he was referring to the implication that Jerry Sloan could be strong armed by one of his players.

I think he was referring to the implication that Jerry Sloan could be strong armed by one of his players.

Exactly, this. Jerry Sloan is one tough mother****er and to image a 26-year-old superstar would force him out is pretty silly. I'm of the opinion that it wore on him and factored into the decision, but I highly doubt Deron forced him out.

Also, Locke is such a ****ing baby. Was hilarious to hear him and see his tweets today. Do your job, man. Stop bawling and being such a goddamn homer.

I could only watch the beginning of the press conference. I had to take a lunch and I went to run some errands.

Anyway, I was listening to ESPN radio 710am. Laker based for sure. I cant believe what kind of reputation Jazz fans have...I mean, at least on this station they were calling Jazz fans idiots. They said they thought Williams was going to get **** for this. They also said if they had to choose between Sloan and Williams, they would choose Williams. Its a no brainer.

I do not buy the "Deron forced him out" theory, yet. I want believe in what Greg said, they tried as much as they can to make Jerry change his decision. I read on twitter that Gail Miller made an offer but coach rejected it. The Jazz could handle it much better, IMO.

It was really an emotional, shocking, sad press conference for us, Jazz fans, to watch. Coach Sloan is a class act, so is Phil Johnson. The will be solely missed. There is no way a real fan can feel good about their departure. The Jazz have had competitive teams thanks to the system, work and dedication, stellar work of these coaches. If the success of an NBA coach was evaluated with championships, how many coaches could be considered great, successful etc?

I hope coach Corbin will make this current system even better, more efficient and effective. I felt a little bit better when his hiring as a head coach was declared.

Jerry Sloan is as honest as one can get and I want to believe in on his comment about his overall energy level. I hope nobody but him take part in the decision process of retirement.

I could only watch the beginning of the press conference. I had to take a lunch and I went to run some errands.

Anyway, I was listening to ESPN radio 710am. Laker based for sure. I cant believe what kind of reputation Jazz fans have...I mean, at least on this station they were calling Jazz fans idiots. They said they thought Williams was going to get **** for this. They also said if they had to choose between Sloan and Williams, they would choose Williams. Its a no brainer.

Even more idiotic thing is; it's not %100 true that Deron was the reason why Sloan decided to leave.

Let's hope a breath of fresh air at least sparks this team a little. Forget a title run this year I'm just hoping the Jazz are fun to watch again...

Sloan pretty much said the same thing himself, referring to other struggling teams who had a coaching change.

I do not buy the "Deron forced him out" theory, yet. I want believe in what Greg said, they tried as much as they can to make Jerry change his decision. I read on twitter that Gail Miller made an offer but coach rejected it. The Jazz could handle it much better, IMO.

It was really an emotional, shocking, sad press conference for us, Jazz fans, to watch. Coach Sloan is a class act, so is Phil Johnson. The will be solely missed. There is no way a real fan can feel good about their departure. The Jazz have had competitive teams thanks to the system, work and dedication, stellar work of these coaches. If the success of an NBA coach was evaluated with championships, how many coaches could be considered great, successful etc?

I hope coach Corbin will make this current system even better, more efficient and effective. I felt a little bit better when his hiring as a head coach was declared.

Jerry Sloan is as honest as one can get and I want to believe in on his comment about his overall energy level. I hope nobody but him take part in the decision process of retirement.

Great post.

Well ****, how do you argue with that?

Based on the responses on this site so far, I fear for the future of the franchise. Bunch of small minded peeps with inferiority complexes looking for a scape goat. Was nice watching you for a little while, Deron. Let the Gordon Hayward era commence!

does anyone else think this is a good thing for the team but still feel a bit dead inside

This is me. I loved the way the Jazz always ran Jerry/Phils system no matter who they played. They seemed to be able to complete in a league that had teams with a ton more talent but won games because they always played like a team instead of a single player. That has been missing for the last couple of years and our terrible offense shows that the team was tuning out the system.

It was time For Jerry to go. But it never should have happened this way

Bucher said on SportsCenter Sloan wanted to suspend Deron after last night. Did not receive support from FO.

Really? That's the way ESPN morons think... They do a great job creating stories from nothing.

The fact Phil resigned with Jerry rather than helping Ty see through the season suggests there was a lot of displeasure behind the scenes.

Interesting...