What's new

Health & Fitness Thread

Two updates. First the important one, my wife made it through the surgery really well. Doctor said she has no issues or complications. But now she's working through the pain of eliminating the CO2 they use to inflate the abdomen for the surgery. Unfortunately it has to be transferred out through the blood and organs, which is a slow painful process. We have her walking a lot and it's helping but she said she'd rather have another baby than have this pain again. Looks miserable. It'll be good in the long run but living through this part is hell.

Ok, 2nd update. 2 days into my fast. Only water and an electrolyte supplement so far, and I've lost 4 pounds in the last 2 days. So that makes about 33 pounds. Mostly water these 2 days but still pretty crazy. My pants fit looser this morning and I had to tighten my new belt up one more notch. Interesting to see where this goes in 5 more days

View attachment 13170

Awesome dude!!! Keep it up!

I’ve been slowly trying to bulk up after staying about the same weight for the last 4ish months. In 3 weeks I’ve gained about 3 pounds…doesn’t feel great to see numbers rise on the scale, but I’m making much faster progress on my list. It took about a month to get a new PR before, but now it’s taking about a week.

Two updates. First the important one, my wife made it through the surgery really well. Doctor said she has no issues or complications. But now she's working through the pain of eliminating the CO2 they use to inflate the abdomen for the surgery. Unfortunately it has to be transferred out through the blood and organs, which is a slow painful process. We have her walking a lot and it's helping but she said she'd rather have another baby than have this pain again. Looks miserable. It'll be good in the long run but living through this part is hell.

Ok, 2nd update. 2 days into my fast. Only water and an electrolyte supplement so far, and I've lost 4 pounds in the last 2 days. So that makes about 33 pounds. Mostly water these 2 days but still pretty crazy. My pants fit looser this morning and I had to tighten my new belt up one more notch. Interesting to see where this goes in 5 more days

View attachment 13170
Down to 253.4 today. So lost 1.2 pounds yesterday. Still pooping, which seems weird. Not like crazy amounts but still coming out. Strange. Extreme hunger yesterday, and this morning. But the literature says that should subside by around day 3 or 4.

Down to 253.4 today. So lost 1.2 pounds yesterday. Still pooping, which seems weird. Not like crazy amounts but still coming out. Strange. Extreme hunger yesterday, and this morning. But the literature says that should subside by around day 3 or 4.
Wow, 249.6 today. 4 pounds in one day? What? So total since the fast started at 258.6 down to 249.6, or down 9 pounds in what amounts to 4 days. Crazy!

Overall that would be 37.4 pounds since I started this whole thing. From August 15 to October 15. 2 months.

1665869028062.png

Wow, 249.6 today. 4 pounds in one day? What? So total since the fast started at 258.6 down to 249.6, or down 9 pounds in what amounts to 4 days. Crazy!

Overall that would be 37.4 pounds since I started this whole thing. From August 15 to October 15. 2 months.

View attachment 13178
Down to 248, lost 1.6 pounds yesterday. Now exactly 39 pounds from the start. Interestingly enough, low blood pressure might cause me to end this early. I've been dizzy and almost blacked out when I stood up yesterday a couple times. Last night I didn't take my blood pressure meds and then checked today and it was 109/78. Normally, with meds, I run 130/80-ish. Crazy. I'm giving it today and if I'm still having blood pressure issues tomorrow I'll probably stop. But today is day 5. Most of the way there.

My wife is home and really struggling. She's had a lot of pain and nausea. Still trying to release all of the trapped gas. They said that was the most severe part of the pain. She's on a pure liquid diet, right now, for the first week. Next week she goes to soft foods. But so far she has been utterly miserable. It's even hard for her to drink more than one or two ounces of water. I know a lot of this is normal, but it sure is a rough way to get started in this. Then again this is pretty major surgery, just because it was fast and arthroscopic doesn't mean it wasn't a lot of trauma. We're encouraging her the best we can, but her spirits are really low. She's actually making videos and we're probably going to start posting part of her story to YouTube.

Down to 248, lost 1.6 pounds yesterday. Now exactly 39 pounds from the start. Interestingly enough, low blood pressure might cause me to end this early. I've been dizzy and almost blacked out when I stood up yesterday a couple times. Last night I didn't take my blood pressure meds and then checked today and it was 109/78. Normally, with meds, I run 130/80-ish. Crazy. I'm giving it today and if I'm still having blood pressure issues tomorrow I'll probably stop. But today is day 5. Most of the way there.

My wife is home and really struggling. She's had a lot of pain and nausea. Still trying to release all of the trapped gas. They said that was the most severe part of the pain. She's on a pure liquid diet, right now, for the first week. Next week she goes to soft foods. But so far she has been utterly miserable. It's even hard for her to drink more than one or two ounces of water. I know a lot of this is normal, but it sure is a rough way to get started in this. Then again this is pretty major surgery, just because it was fast and arthroscopic doesn't mean it wasn't a lot of trauma. We're encouraging her the best we can, but her spirits are really low. She's actually making videos and we're probably going to start posting part of her story to YouTube.

Stay healthy. Your system is in shock but at least you are monitoring it.

I hope things start getting easier for your wife. It is nice that you've taken as much of this journey with her as you can.

I hope things start getting easier for your wife. It is nice that you've taken as much of this journey with her as you can.
Thanks. I figured we succeed or fail together. Tough for one to change their habits when the other one just doesn't at all. Plus, I obviously needed to lose the weight.

**** man, I missed this. What surgery was it?

**** man, I missed this. What surgery was it?
Gastric bypass. They call it the Roux en Y. Colloquially known as stomach stapling. She has hip dysplasia that causes her a lot of pain and makes it hard to lose weight and is exacerbated by extra weight, so this was the best option at this point. So far it's been really rough.

Gastric bypass. They call it the Roux en Y. Colloquially known as stomach stapling. She has hip dysplasia that causes her a lot of pain and makes it hard to lose weight and is exacerbated by extra weight, so this was the best option at this point. So far it's been really rough.

Awesome. And it’s been said but it’s great that you’re doing this with her.

Welp, I made it 5 1/2 days. Ending my fast this morning. Woke up dizzy and lightheaded. Checked my BP and it was 100/72. Way too low for me. Don't want to push it too much. Starting with high fat foods which fits my body's current process of strong ketosis, which is what is recommended. Adding in more fiber later to let my digestive system get going easily again. Don't need a shock to the system.

Ended up at 246.2, which means exactly 12 pounds lost in 5 days essentially. Overall, 40.8 pounds. Since August 15th. Interested to see how this levels out in a week.

1666024328185.png

Wife feels a lot better this morning. We got some broth in her last night and it helped a lot. She's lost 10 pounds since surgery last Wednesday. I'm sure it will be more today when she weighs in. Glad to see her in better spirits. It's been very hard on her emotionally. As many of us know, dealing with daily pain is exhausting. And hers has been pretty bad. Very happy to see improvement.

Welp, I made it 5 1/2 days. Ending my fast this morning. Woke up dizzy and lightheaded. Checked my BP and it was 100/72. Way too low for me. Don't want to push it too much. Starting with high fat foods which fits my body's current process of strong ketosis, which is what is recommended. Adding in more fiber later to let my digestive system get going easily again. Don't need a shock to the system.

Ended up at 246.2, which means exactly 12 pounds lost in 5 days essentially. Overall, 40.8 pounds. Since August 15th. Interested to see how this levels out in a week.

View attachment 13192

Wife feels a lot better this morning. We got some broth in her last night and it helped a lot. She's lost 10 pounds since surgery last Wednesday. I'm sure it will be more today when she weighs in. Glad to see her in better spirits. It's been very hard on her emotionally. As many of us know, dealing with daily pain is exhausting. And hers has been pretty bad. Very happy to see improvement.
Good call. Did you find you were cognitively having any focus issues?

You'll probably hit about 250 - 252 over the next couple of days while your body gets back in the swing, but hey, still a net win which was kind of the point.

Good call. Did you find you were cognitively having any focus issues?

You'll probably hit about 250 - 252 over the next couple of days while your body gets back in the swing, but hey, still a net win which was kind of the point.
No not really any cognitive issues other than being dizzy when I stand up. I'm fact there I felt really sharp and alert, which is what I read was normal when in full ketosis. Checked my ketones and they were off the charts, so I know that was working well. Not sure why my blood pressure dropped so much, so I'll discuss that with my doctor but my bet is such a drop in body water and salt and sugar drove it down, plus the residual effect of my meds. Probably see it come back up a bit. Still feel strong, kept working out throughout although a bit lighter. Other than the blood pressure I would have kept going. I'm easing back into eating so I won't even top 1000 calories for a few days and will continue intermittent fasting, partly because it just fits my work schedule. I'm sure I'll put some back on as my body stores away more glycogen and water, but should start dropping again from there.

Last edited:
No not really any cognitive issues other than being dizzy when I stand up. I'm fact there I felt really sharp and alert, which is what I read was normal when in full ketosis. Checked my ketones and they were off the charts, so I know that was working well. Not sure why my blood pressure dropped so much, so I'll discuss that with my doctor but my bet is such a drop in body water and salt and sugar drove it down, plus the residual effect of my meds. Probably see it come back up a bit. Still feel strong, kept working out throughout although a bit lighter. Other than the blood pressure I would have kept going. I'm easing back into eating so I won't even top 1000 calories for a few days and will continue intermittent fasting, partly because it just fits my work schedule. I'm sure I'll put some back on as my body stores away more glycogen and water, but should start dropping again from there.

How does one check ketones?

Pee strips. There are saliva strips too but pee strips are more accurate. And it's not like a real number, it's a color scale. Today mine was way at the end of the scale.

tumblr_lwhu1bIoLG1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

View attachment 13192

Alright, one day of feeding, lost a half pound. Interesting. Ate about 1100 calories which is probably why I lost a little weight there, still under my BMR for calories. Going to about 1500 calories today, still full keto. I expected to gain weight yesterday even if it was just because now I have something in my intestinal tract and that was pretty well cleaned out for a few days there. I'm sure I'll add that extra 2-4 pounds we typically carry in our intestines over the next few days.

Jack LaLance once said that the scale lies, the waistband does not. How many inches have you lost?