What's new

Hey Everyone... Lets Chill on Writing Hendricks Off... TIA

Can you point out anything he did the last two games outside of hitting one side step 3?
I saw him go up high for some contested rebounds in the first game. Showed nice hops. Also looked very fast running the floor. Sample size kinda small doe.

All kinds of supposition and assumptions in play regarding who’s playing over who. People are applying mid season logic to preseason rotations. Management is looking to make decisions regarding our level of commitment to some fringe or redundant positions. We have also been told repeatedly that the Jazz will remain active in the trade market. Who to resign, and who to trade, are two other factors besides where guys will slot on the depth chart. But to assume this early that the depth chart is already established and that Hendricks is behind Luka and Simone is not necessarily valid at this juncture.

O/U on Hendricks minutes opening night for people to think there isn't something amiss?

Like 0.5 minutes? Or ~10?

I’ll agree to this if you agree to stop writing off Agbaji

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never wrote him off... never even said he won't be an NBA player... in fact I think he will be an automatic 10 year NBA player because of archetype. Just don't think he will be starter on a contender level great... unless its with a megastar.

O/U on Hendricks minutes opening night for people to think there isn't something amiss?

Like 0.5 minutes? Or ~10?
.5 minutes

He won't be in the rotation opening night... neither will Simone or Luka. The rotation players will be:

JC
Lauri
Walker
Collins
Ochai
Sexton
THT
KO
Keyonte or Dunn - Maybe both but it gets tricky

Yurtseven - like 5 minutes of traditional backup 5

There are 144 minutes available to frontcourt players. Lauri/Walker/Collins will soak up 90+ minutes... KO will get 20-25... Ochai and other guards are likely taking 20 minutes there as we have too many guards. There really just aren't minutes to spare for Taylor or any other frontcourt player unless they are better than one of those guys... shrug. He will toil in the G league until there is an injury or a trade or until he shows he is better than those players.

I think Hendricks will be fine. He's athletic, should defend and knock down shots. With that said he's not going to get many minutes with this current depth chart which is a little disappointing for a top 10 pick.

Alot of us were saying they could've drafted Keyonte and Whitmore with those top 2 picks and been potentially better off but it's all water under the bridge at this point. Hendricks was their #9 rated prospect and they grabbed him with the 9th pick.

.5 minutes

He won't be in the rotation opening night... neither will Simone or Luka. The rotation players will be:

JC
Lauri
Walker
Collins
Ochai
Sexton
THT
KO
Keyonte or Dunn - Maybe both but it gets tricky

Yurtseven - like 5 minutes of traditional backup 5

There are 144 minutes available to frontcourt players. Lauri/Walker/Collins will soak up 90+ minutes... KO will get 20-25... Ochai and other guards are likely taking 20 minutes there as we have too many guards. There really just aren't minutes to spare for Taylor or any other frontcourt player unless they are better than one of those guys... shrug. He will toil in the G league until there is an injury or a trade or until he shows he is better than those players.

Sound logic, I just really hate the conclusion. Hendricks is the 'prize' of last seasons toils. A top 10 pick. The Jazz are not some top 5 team who can't afford to play a rookie real minutes because they are trying to contend. They are much closer to the opposite in fact. There is a long career ahead, but I don't know how you can spin a top 10 pick, on a rebuilding/retooling/seeing what they have team, not being in the rotation whatsoever as anything more than a bummer. Especially when his predraft calling cards were NBA ready skills.

Does pre draft HH think Hendricks won't even be able to crack the rotation his first season with this Jazz team? Or is that opinion more recent?

Sound logic, I just really hate the conclusion. Hendricks is the 'prize' of last seasons toils. A top 10 pick. The Jazz are not some top 5 team who can't afford to play a rookie real minutes because they are trying to contend. They are much closer to the opposite in fact. There is a long career ahead, but I don't know how you can spin a top 10 pick, on a rebuilding/retooling/seeing what they have team, not being in the rotation whatsoever as anything more than a bummer. Especially when his predraft calling cards were NBA ready skills.

Does pre draft HH think Hendricks won't even be able to crack the rotation his first season with this Jazz team? Or is that opinion more recent?
I get that… but I don’t make decisions based on sunk costs. Taylor will bring value.

Pre draft HH definitely thinks Taylor is in the rotation but he also didn’t know we’d trade for JC. After the JC trade I don’t think there was ever more than 10-15 minutes even up for grabs… unless KO got moved.

At very least he could do an early season Ochai impression if we had minutes for him.

I'm getting some horrific Patrick Williams vibes from Hendricks.

So many similarities. I'm guessing Hardy has realized this too and decided he's not gonna make the same mistake as the Bulls (gifting a timid, passive dude big minutes just because he was a high pick).

Time will tell if he's anything more than a basic role player in this league.

I also think this is the danger when you half *** the tank. Cost to move up was too high or impossible and you end up playing the hand you are dealt. An early Conley Bogey deal for the Lakers where we only get one pick (rumor was we wanted both) and you don’t have KO and maybe Vando as well… leaves a hole where you are drafting a few spots higher… shrug.

I also think this is the danger when you half *** the tank. Cost to move up was too high or impossible and you end up playing the hand you are dealt. An early Conley Bogey deal for the Lakers where we only get one pick (rumor was we wanted both) and you don’t have KO and maybe Vando as well… leaves a hole where you are drafting a few spots higher… shrug.
Being non-committal isn't consequence-free. These are our consequences. Currently, we're still taking non-committal approaches to the rest of the roster because we don't want to be so decisive that we close doors, so we believe we're in this consequence-free zone that exists in theory only.

He is still 19, so essentially barely out of puberty (based on acne as well).

Remember to measure his mental intangibles such as confidence and maturity on the correct scale.

Being non-committal isn't consequence-free. These are our consequences. Currently, we're still taking non-committal approaches to the rest of the roster because we don't want to be so decisive that we close doors, so we believe we're in this consequence-free zone that exists in theory only.
Correct... the difference between making the decision earlier than later costs us 5 games or 6 games maybe. That 10-3 start goes to 6-7 and you are right there with Portland. The cost to move up is likely multiple picks... so that is the cost of non-commitment. There are some that say you can always tank... that decision gets harder the longer you put it off. At this point I am anti-tank for the year... the prize isn't as big and it will be difficult with Lauri leveled up and Year 2 Walker. Plus the depth we have added. There were some positives with not tanking earlier/harder.

Taylor is going to be fine though. You don't get to have your first pick if you don't put in the work to tank and you aren't willing to pay a huge premium to move up... sorry.

Man I don't know if it is the "on demand" generation or what but it feels like folks were writing off Taylor or throwing up all sorts of red flags before his first preseason game. I'm seeing a bit more of this on twitter but getting the vibe here as well. So here is what we need to do... Chill the eff out.

Dude missed summer league. We have a loaded frontcourt, so we don't NEED anything from him this year. I understand its pre-season and guys like Tech and Luka are playing over him... but its like some of yall don't know how preseason works. One of the big things in pre-season is giving guys on the bubble a chance to show something before they are cut or benched. There is more urgency to see if Tech and Luka are worth rostering. We are playing the long game with Taylor.

So let's just not write the kid off after like 10 preseason minutes. He is going to be fine. Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.
I agree. But this is very unlike you to think this way/post this way. You are captain of the overreact to every small detail. Also this post probably needs a cool guitar rip after the second sentence.

Correct... the difference between making the decision earlier than later costs us 5 games or 6 games maybe. That 10-3 start goes to 6-7 and you are right there with Portland. The cost to move up is likely multiple picks... so that is the cost of non-commitment. There are some that say you can always tank... that decision gets harder the longer you put it off. At this point I am anti-tank for the year... the prize isn't as big and it will be difficult with Lauri leveled up and Year 2 Walker. Plus the depth we have added. There were some positives with not tanking earlier/harder.

Taylor is going to be fine though. You don't get to have your first pick if you don't put in the work to tank and you aren't willing to pay a huge premium to move up... sorry.
And I also just have to ask, since you loved Hendricks period, not just at #10. You liked him more than a few guys taken before him (and obviously were not the only one). So in this scenario where we committed more fully to the tank and get say, pick #7. You still taking Hendricks now? Or is it someone else?

In other words: You considered Hendricks a great prize from the draft anyway, and a steal at #10. Whether or not we F'd up the tank., we got the guy you loved. Do you still feel the same?