Home security system

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
I made a post about this in another thread but I want some help and advice. So any recommendations for a good security system? I'm not to concerned about price but my main requirement is no monthly fees.
I want to purchase the equipment (I'm thinking like $500) and that's it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I have Guardian. Don’t think they’re out there though. Very pleased with them. Better than ATD imo.

Monthly fee?
How much do you think you paid for equipment?

I honestly forget. It’s been 8 years. Paying $36 a month now and have 12 sensors I think on the entire downstairs doors and windows. I was paying like $34 originally and then near the end of that first 3 year contract I told them I was gonna go to ATP because they were offering me $30 (a lie) and they said they’d do $29. So I did $29 for the next 3 years. Then the last two have been $36 because I forgot to negotiate. if I had to guess we paid $100 up front but that’s honestly a guess.

Based on ads I always see, $36 a month for 10-12 sensors seems to be industry-standard. Up front costs prob vary a little.

I made a post about this in another thread but I want some help and advice. So any recommendations for a good security system? I'm not to concerned about price but my main requirement is no monthly fees.
I want to purchase the equipment (I'm thinking like $500) and that's it.

Is there such a thing as a monitored system without monthly fees? Good luck finding that.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

probably not monitored no, but a loud *** alarm should do the trick 99% of the time.
This.
I just want the burglar to leave. I don't care if the cops come or if the person gets caught.

I would guess any professionally installed system would require a monitoring contract. Look online for the sensors and install them yourself. There’s a plethora of wireless devices available.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app
Ya I'm looking for a system I install myself with no monthly fees and no monitoring.

We’ve had Vivint for a couple years. We had intended to get a security system for a while and so when the guy knocked on the door, we just ended up doing it because we tend to procrastinate. I’ve wondered what I could have done had I just set it all up myself. Obviously, since I would have procrastinated on that, I’ve obviously done no research sense. So while I can’t help you with regard to one without a monthly service, the system gives me great peace of mind and I set it every night.

Check out the Arlo systems. All except the newest version do not require a fee for up to 5 cameras. Includes free cloud recording and you can record locally and save video to phone. You can do geofencing so it activates when you and other users leave. Detects motion or sound and records. All wireless with rechargeable batteries. And it has an alarm in the base unit. I like it a lot.

Check out the Arlo systems. All except the newest version do not require a fee for up to 5 cameras. Includes free cloud recording and you can record locally and save video to phone. You can do geofencing so it activates when you and other users leave. Detects motion or sound and records. All wireless with rechargeable batteries. And it has an alarm in the base unit. I like it a lot.
Honestly, I have been looking at security systems for hours and this is the one that has been my favorite.
I kind of narrowed it down to Arlo pro 3 or abode with Arlo pro 3 being the one that I'm leaning towards

Honestly, I have been looking at security systems for hours and this is the one that has been my favorite.
I kind of narrowed it down to Arlo pro 3 or abode with Arlo pro 3 being the one that I'm leaning towards

I think the pro 3 may require a subscription for cloud recording. The arlo pro and pro 2 w up to 5 cameras has a free option...

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the...ans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-is-available

I just installed flood lights that did wonders downtown SLC to deter anyone at night. Then I installed a couple $30 lightbulbs from Amazon on my porch. They have camera to check anytime. They can sound an alarm with sound and light when they are triggered. It sends you an alert as well. Plus you it has a mic and speaker. So if I wasn't home and it went off I could see who was there and listen in and then talk to them if I wanted. I would also recommend a security system sign for your front yard and a big fake security camera preferably with a blinking red light. It's so much easier to just try to deter people than try to catch them. I would much rather a criminal move on then arrest them later.

I think the pro 3 may require a subscription for cloud recording. The arlo pro and pro 2 w up to 5 cameras has a free option...

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the...ans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-is-available
You are correct. I think it's 3 dollars which though cheap, I still don't want to pay.
How is the picture quality on your system? Do your cameras have the sirens on them and the spotlight on them?

I think there is an option to record locally via USB rather than the cloud. Any idea if that would work well?

I just installed flood lights that did wonders downtown SLC to deter anyone at night. Then I installed a couple $30 lightbulbs from Amazon on my porch. They have camera to check anytime. They can sound an alarm with sound and light when they are triggered. It sends you an alert as well. Plus you it has a mic and speaker. So if I wasn't home and it went off I could see who was there and listen in and then talk to them if I wanted. I would also recommend a security system sign for your front yard and a big fake security camera preferably with a blinking red light. It's so much easier to just try to deter people than try to catch them. I would much rather a criminal move on then arrest them later.
This is a good idea. Any specifics to products (links even) that you bought for this type setup?

You are correct. I think it's 3 dollars which though cheap, I still don't want to pay.
How is the picture quality on your system? Do your cameras have the sirens on them and the spotlight on them?

I think there is an option to record locally via USB rather than the cloud. Any idea if that would work well?

I have the Pro system. It is decent HD. You can record to the base unit with a thumb drive, but a thief could walk away with it. Not sure if the Pro 3 has thumb drive recording (I believe it does, but don't know for sure).

It has night vision, and they have compatible add in motion lights I think.

We use ours indoors on entry points. The alarm is on the base unit itself. The cameras have 2 way audio, but we don't use it. We also have a Skybell, which is great too (also no subscription and free cloud recording).

TBH, we leave the alarm off. I get noticed when there is movement, and will check if I know people aren't home.

I move the cameras to "off limit" areas when we have a house sitter or dog sitter. Had a paid dog sitter from Rover bring their dog over without permission and it **** on the brand new carpet in my bedroom, where no one was allowed. Caught it all on camera.

The batteries go a long time without charging. We keep two hard wired to power and switch them with the battery only units when they get low.

We also got a discount on homeowners insurance. The cameras paid for themselves after 3 years.

I'd get the Pro 2 if you want free cloud recording. If you don't mind paying, the Pro 3 is supposed to be much better with resolution and total viewing angle...

Last edited:
I have the Pro system. It is decent HD. You can record to the base unit with a thumb drive, but a theif could walk away with it. Not sure if the Pro 3 has thumb drive recording (I believe it does, but don't know for sure).

It has night vision, and they have compatible add in motion lights I think.

We use ours indoors on entry points. The alarm is on the base unit itself. The cameras have 2 way audio, but we don't use it. We also have a Skybell, which is great too (also no subscription and free cloud recording).

TBH, we leave the alarm off. I get noticed when there is movement, and will check if I know people aren't home.

I move the cameras to "off limit" areas when we have a house sitter or dog sitter. Had a paid dog sitter from Rover bring their dog over without permission and it **** on the brand new carpet in my bedroom, where no one was allowed. Caught it all on camera.

The batteries go a long time without charging. We keep two hard wired to power and switch them with the battery only units when they get low.

We also got a discount on homeowners insurance. The cameras paid for themselves after 3 years.

I'd get the Pro 2 if you want free cloud recording. If you don't mind paying, the Pro 3 is supposed to be much better with resolution and total viewing angle...
Thanks a bunch for the discussion dude!

This is a good idea. Any specifics to products (links even) that you bought for this type setup?

I just went to home depot for the flood lights. For the lightbulb camera I bought it from Amazon but I don't remember which one. Just search for them on there. There's lots of them.
Here's an example:
Amazon product ASIN B083ZT487V
Here's an example of what I'm talking about with cameras.

Amazon product ASIN B00NSE5WVM