What's new

Hood is the reason 3.0 (Thanks for reading)

Magic fans I’ve talked to have hinted that there’s some friction in the locker room between Aaron Gordon (who looks to be the future star player there) and Fournier/Vucevic (who are being marginalized with AG and Jonathan Issac as the future cornerstones). Bismack Biyambo has an awful contract that would take major assets to unload. I think Utah could make a decent case that Rubio/Jerebko plus a lottery protected pick gives them some options to do that AND saves them millions of dollars in the long run. Rubio might actually turn out to be a great fit for them. If not, he becomes an expiring contract next year - opening up a Max Contract slot for them much sooner than they would otherwise be able to.

Good post.

I really wish Orlando would trade Vucevic soon because I think Favors would be a really, really good fit at C with their roster.

Interesting, I would be very happy if we got him without giving up Gobert, Mitchell, Exum, Ingles, Hood or a lottery pick. I might be okay with giving up Hood for him but it would be closer for me.
Rumors suggest that the Pistons have already talked to them, but it would cost Reggie Jackson’s contract to make it work. His contract is worse than Fournier’s, so I’m not sure he provides the cap flexibility that they’d be looking for. Rubio could possibly fill their hole at PG (and fit better than he does in Utah) while not handicapping them going into key offseasons.

I've been really high and really low on Rod. What I've come to grips with is that we don't have the personnel to maximize his play style. He really needs a Korver/Reddick role. Weaving through off-ball screens until he pops out and has a catch and shoot 3 (which he's actually quite good at) and make that 80% of his contribution. Maybe the occasional mismatch "mouse-in-the-house" "back-down" "keep-em-on-your-hip" mid-ranger that he used to do a lot (but hardly does now). Right now we're asking him to facilitate (which he's actually OK at), drive (which he's not OK at), and be basically the only offensive weapon on the floor (he often plays without Mitchell, and the other team can ignore everyone else and stick to him like glue).

He needs a team where he would be the 3rd guy, where he can pop out for open looks, spread the floor, but ultimately not be game-planned for. We aren't that team.

This is what Jazz fans need to consider about Hood. I’m not against trading him to truly help us, but Hood is only 4 years in to his career and has shown he can get hot and be a decent shooter. IMO he’s struggling because of two things, he’s confused what his roll should be (considering Mitchell is now the face of the franchise, when he was being looked at as the guy). The second reason he’s struggling is I feel he’s putting to much pressure on himself.

Look at a trade like Kevin Love to Cleveland. Love struggled when he first went to Cleveland , and it looked like it wasn’t working very well. Love finally came to terms with and fell into his roll as mostly just a guy that stands outside the 3 point line and shoots 3s, and rebound and he’s good with that now.

Rodney is struggling right now, no doubt, but Rodney is a piece that could be the reason you win a series or playoff game with his shooting. The issue is not whether Rodney can shoot or score, he can, and at times he’s amazing to watch, he simply needs consistency. The Spurs game was pretty to watch him get so hot. Most Jazz fans are expecting too much out of this season. We lost Hayward, Hill, and essentially Gobert, and guess what our record shows it. We have a big wound from last offseason and it’s gonna take a couple years to heal up.

I get frustrated with Rodney, but Rodney is the kind of guy you need and that can make or break you in a playoff series. The guys shooting better on the road than at home. He’s obviously feeling the pressure of fans and you can see it on the court because it’s so obvious at times he’s pressing. It feels like only 2 out of 10 shots the last couple months he’s shooting confident. In the Heat game literally for about 6 jump shots straight he was falling to the ground or flailing trying to get a foul call instead of just shooting the shot. Then he shot a couple jumpers without trying to get the fouls call and he knocked them both down. He’s pressing, and he’s pressing because he knows when Hayward left he was next in line and he hasn’t been able to fill Hayward’s roll, and I’ve seen the hate he’s got on social media, it’s ridiculous and there’s no way it doesn’t rattle you a little with the roll Rodney is currently in.

Jazz fans just need to consider Rodney is very talented and a decent shooter. When he’s locked in he’s not a bad defender either. Hayward in season 4 was not that great either and the team wasn’t winning then. Hayward only really blossomed last season. This season is going to be tough, and as a Jazz fan, while I wouldn’t care if they traded Hood, I would also be okay with them to continue to work with him, develop him, and believe in him. Jazz fans shouldn’t give up on Rodney, he has some real bright spots, which is all Hayward had in year 4 as well. Rodney needs to get some pressure taken off him and simply find his roll and be comfortable again. He’s not right now.

I mean it amazes me how people will criticize Hayward leaving and calling him unloyal, and then as a fan base demand a guy is traded because he’s struggled and had a few bad moments this season. At what point are you going to be loyal? Or as an organization be loyal to players? It’s always about players not being loyal but what about fans and organizations? The guys in year 4 and his roll has been completely turned upside down, is it really time to give up on him already? Or should we just accept that the team got its heart ripped out of it last summer and we should have expected this type of season. Next season I expect more wins, and a few moves to be made between here and next season.

Donovan Mitchell/Rudy Gobert is a good place to be as a franchise.

Hood and Exum have good potential, and can help you win especially once they’ve further developed in a couple years. These guys are young, and still all in the early parts of their careers. A guy like Hood is someone you may want someday that could put you over the hump. You need that guy who can sit outside the three point line and knock down 3s. Hood just needs to fall in that roll at some point. There are some tweaks that need to be made on the roster. I go back and forth whether Hood should be one of those tweaks or not. He’s in his fourth year, let’s give him a break, support him, and see how he can develop as long as he’s here. I think some serious fan support would help him feel less pressured and play better right now. I’m not altogether ready to give up on the guy, but he does need to improve and have consistent games shooting 7/13, not games where he shoots 1/13 and others he shoots 12/13. He needs to get the pressure off him and just fall into the roll he’s good at.

This is what Jazz fans need to consider about Hood. I’m not against trading him to truly help us, but Hood is only 4 years in to his career and has shown he can get hot and be a decent shooter. IMO he’s struggling because of two things, he’s confused what his roll should be (considering Mitchell is now the face of the franchise, when he was being looked at as the guy). The second reason he’s struggling is I feel he’s putting to much pressure on himself.

Look at a trade like Kevin Love to Cleveland. Love struggled when he first went to Cleveland , and it looked like it wasn’t working very well. Love finally came to terms with and fell into his roll as mostly just a guy that stands outside the 3 point line and shoots 3s, and rebound and he’s good with that now.

Rodney is struggling right now, no doubt, but Rodney is a piece that could be the reason you win a series or playoff game with his shooting. The issue is not whether Rodney can shoot or score, he can, and at times he’s amazing to watch, he simply needs consistency. The Spurs game was pretty to watch him get so hot. Most Jazz fans are expecting too much out of this season. We lost Hayward, Hill, and essentially Gobert, and guess what our record shows it. We have a big wound from last offseason and it’s gonna take a couple years to heal up.

I get frustrated with Rodney, but Rodney is the kind of guy you need and that can make or break you in a playoff series. The guys shooting better on the road than at home. He’s obviously feeling the pressure of fans and you can see it on the court because it’s so obvious at times he’s pressing. It feels like only 2 out of 10 shots the last couple months he’s shooting confident. In the Heat game literally for about 6 jump shots straight he was falling to the ground or flailing trying to get a foul call instead of just shooting the shot. Then he shot a couple jumpers without trying to get the fouls call and he knocked them both down. He’s pressing, and he’s pressing because he knows when Hayward left he was next in line and he hasn’t been able to fill Hayward’s roll, and I’ve seen the hate he’s got on social media, it’s ridiculous and there’s no way it doesn’t rattle you a little with the roll Rodney is currently in.

Jazz fans just need to consider Rodney is very talented and a decent shooter. When he’s locked in he’s not a bad defender either. Hayward in season 4 was not that great either and the team wasn’t winning then. Hayward only really blossomed last season. This season is going to be tough, and as a Jazz fan, while I wouldn’t care if they traded Hood, I would also be okay with them to continue to work with him, develop him, and believe in him. Jazz fans shouldn’t give up on Rodney, he has some real bright spots, which is all Hayward had in year 4 as well. Rodney needs to get some pressure taken off him and simply find his roll and be comfortable again. He’s not right now.

I mean it amazes me how people will criticize Hayward leaving and calling him unloyal, and then as a fan base demand a guy is traded because he’s struggled and had a few bad moments this season. At what point are you going to be loyal? Or as an organization be loyal to players? It’s always about players not being loyal but what about fans and organizations? The guys in year 4 and his roll has been completely turned upside down, is it really time to give up on him already? Or should we just accept that the team got its heart ripped out of it last summer and we should have expected this type of season. Next season I expect more wins, and a few moves to be made between here and next season.

Donovan Mitchell/Rudy Gobert is a good place to be as a franchise.

Hood and Exum have good potential, and can help you win especially once they’ve further developed in a couple years. These guys are young, and still all in the early parts of their careers. A guy like Hood is someone you may want someday that could put you over the hump. You need that guy who can sit outside the three point line and knock down 3s. Hood just needs to fall in that roll at some point. There are some tweaks that need to be made on the roster. I go back and forth whether Hood should be one of those tweaks or not. He’s in his fourth year, let’s give him a break, support him, and see how he can develop as long as he’s here. I think some serious fan support would help him feel less pressured and play better right now. I’m not altogether ready to give up on the guy, but he does need to improve and have consistent games shooting 7/13, not games where he shoots 1/13 and others he shoots 12/13. He needs to get the pressure off him and just fall into the roll he’s good at.
Great post. I think Favors and Exum fall into that category as well. Jazz should try to retain as much young talent as they are able to.

Hood is not nearly as bad as people try to make him out to be. I agree he has been pressing a lot this season but the man is very talented and a great shooter overall. You can't just purge your entire roster of talent because you have a shiny new toy (Mitchell). You have to build around and have the right pieces. Hood is a definite piece of the puzzle, we just have to get other parts that fit.

Whoever said that Hood is role is supposed to be what Korver/Reddick is doing... well, both of those guys are "smarter" defenders and actually play their hearts out on defense, despite their physical limitation. Oh, and they happen to be two of the best shooters in the NBA, that's why they play till their 30s.

I'll tell you who Hood reminds me of - CJ Miles. Extremely streaky, lack of BB IQ, and injury prone.

But it's not the shooting that bothers me, it's the lack of BB IQ that bothers me. Everyone knows Hood is going to take a fadeaway or stepback shot (most of the time a 3), he doesn't even look anywhere else. This is a classic case where a player thinks he's better than he actually is, and that often leads to bad results. NBA is very specialized that although players like Evan Fournier can get you 18-4-4, in the amount of minutes Hayward can get you 24-6-6, and Harden gets you 30-8-8. There is only one ball and finite number of minutes, and that differentiate great players and the rest.

I'm still on the boat to tank this season - at least 6 franchise changing players in this draft, it's not too late to tank. This might be the strongest draft in the last decade.

Whoever said that Hood is role is supposed to be what Korver/Reddick is doing... well, both of those guys are "smarter" defenders and actually play their hearts out on defense, despite their physical limitation. Oh, and they happen to be two of the best shooters in the NBA, that's why they play till their 30s.

I'll tell you who Hood reminds me of - CJ Miles. Extremely streaky, lack of BB IQ, and injury prone.

But it's not the shooting that bothers me, it's the lack of BB IQ that bothers me. Everyone knows Hood is going to take a fadeaway or stepback shot (most of the time a 3), he doesn't even look anywhere else. This is a classic case where a player thinks he's better than he actually is, and that often leads to bad results. NBA is very specialized that although players like Evan Fournier can get you 18-4-4, in the amount of minutes Hayward can get you 24-6-6, and Harden gets you 30-8-8. There is only one ball and finite number of minutes, and that differentiate great players and the rest.

I'm still on the boat to tank this season - at least 6 franchise changing players in this draft, it's not too late to tank. This might be the strongest draft in the last decade.

So did he have great BB IQ when he dropped 30 on Kobe in one half? Just curious cause it sounds like by your definition it's all based on points. And if that is in fact the case, the man is still averaging 17PPG this season. Not everyone is meant to be a superstar by your own definition. Hood is a scorer and a streak shooter like most scoring wings. He's actually one of the better ones but since we see his every move, he is more scrutinized by the Jazz fan base solely because he was supposed to be the man this season and has had a few injuries and the team saw the emergence of Mitchell. Doesn't make Hood a bad player at all or someone who lacks BB IQ as you put it.

So did he have great BB IQ when he dropped 30 on Kobe in one half? Just curious cause it sounds like by your definition it's all based on points. And if that is in fact the case, the man is still averaging 17PPG this season. Not everyone is meant to be a superstar by your own definition. Hood is a scorer and a streak shooter like most scoring wings. He's actually one of the better ones but since we see his every move, he is more scrutinized by the Jazz fan base solely because he was supposed to be the man this season and has had a few injuries and the team saw the emergence of Mitchell. Doesn't make Hood a bad player at all or someone who lacks BB IQ as you put it.
This^

I watch the Cavs play every game as well because im a fan of Lebron. If not for the Warriors (which no one can emulate) the Cavs have a championship caliber team and yes Lebron is a huge part of that but there’s a few roll players who are streaky shooters on there. I see plenty of nights Kevin Love, JR Smith, and even Kyle Korver have bad nights. There’s just 3 streak shooters on the team so one guy can have a bad night and the other guy can cover it up. The Jazz don’t have the same talent as other places so it looks worse when Hoods struggling. If you’ll notice we play better as a team and win or are in more games when Hood is having an okay night. He is talented, and if the jazz can make a few moves to improve Hoods work load and pressure will drop and I think his consistency will start to fall into place. Not to mention he needs to accept his roll is never going to be the face of the franchise or a super star, he simply needs to fall into his roll and help the team win.

I think Mitchell has kind of given Jazz fans a foggy image of what a normal player developing looks like. Donovan Mitchell is a superstar, a player you don’t usually get a hold of. Donovan is charismatic, smart, a willing learner, a quick learner,a good teammate, not afraid of any moment, is very athletic, and a top notch competitor. He’s a true star and has such incredible game. He’s so much in one package especially in a rookie, maybe some fans are expecting too much. He is not the rule, he’s the exception to the rule, and thank God we got him. Very few guys are Donovan Mitchell and you can’t expect them to be.

Most players need much more time to develop than Mitchell, and Rodney seems to be one of those guys. Hayward was one of those guys. It took 6 seasons for Hayward to get as good as he was last year, and it took his commitment to get there. Hood is sort of thrown through a loop from transitioning into Hayward’s spot, to losing it to probably the best rookie this organization has ever had. He’s gonna have to accept his roll which i think has been hard for him. I don’t think he’s bitter or a negative teammate but I bet he isn’t a huge fan of coming off the bench, or with his current roll overall. Personally I think the Jazz plan on keeping and resigning Hood, that’s just seems to be the feeling is that they really still believe in Rodney. So let’s give the guy a little more time to learn and fall into husband roll, and support the guy.

He had an incredible half... However, how many points did he score the second half? ***also it was against a historical low point for an LA team.

the answer is:
None

I've never said hood cant shoot, However, he is either a negative or a wash by the end of almost every game... He doesn't help your team win. This is the biggest problem i have with him. I get it every player makes poor choices, and as a fan I can forgive that. But outside of scoring he gives you nothing of value.
I don't think he knows his role and i don't think jazz coaching staff is doing him any favors giving him so much rope and leeway.

Advanced stats say it all.. also 16 points on 14 shots isn't "that" good...

He had an incredible half... However, how many points did he score the second half? ***also it was against a historical low point for an LA team.

the answer is:
None

I've never said hood cant shoot, However, he is either a negative or a wash by the end of almost every game... He doesn't help your team win. This is the biggest problem i have with him. I get it every player makes poor choices, and as a fan I can forgive that. But outside of scoring he gives you nothing of value.
I don't think he knows his role and i don't think jazz coaching staff is doing him any favors giving him so much rope and leeway.

Advanced stats say it all.. also 16 points on 14 shots isn't "that" good...
He definitely helps the team win. It's stupid to say otherwise. His problem is he doesnt make other players better.

He definitely helps the team win. It's stupid to say otherwise. His problem is he doesnt make other players better.

I know you and I have had this conversation already in this thread.. Come on buddy... If your just a low IQ sheep watching a jazz game then yes I think you do think he helps us win...
In the past few years the Sports world has come out with some incredible stuff called statistics... They have even created advanced ways of looking at stats that don't always show up in a box score called "Advanced statistics"

Are you still with me Cy of KFC?

If you delve into those a bit.. OR hell even look at them you will see a whole different story...

The kid can shoot. but you give anyone 14 shots a game and I'd be dang surprised if they can't get you 15-16 ppg... And after all... that is the only state hood fills.

Are you still with me Cy of KFC?
22fzmr.jpg

???

Please copy and paste below and include your thoughts on each question:

I think something is lost in all this Mirotic bonanza. It would seem to me that we need Mirotic AND Hood if we are trying to make a run this year. Answer these questions below:

Wouldn't Mirotic only make sense if we were adding him to a team with Hood since we lack options on offense?

Aren't we a luxury paying team if we still have Hood, Exum, Rubio, Mirotic and Burks going into next season?

Would we endure being a luxury team for 2018-19 knowing that Burks and Rubio go away after the season?