What's new

Hood is the reason 3.0 (Thanks for reading)

Scoring 30 points in 1st half and then scoring 0 for the 2nd half is the definition of streaky and inconsistent. Hood is good for a bench scorer on a good team, that's what he is. If Hood is your 2nd or 3rd scorer, your team isn't going anywhere. Unfortunately he will be commanding 15-20 million a year (he probably thinks he's worth more) and that's just not a good investment. Someone mentioned JR Smith and his contract is exactly viewed as a poisonous contract.

I'm not sure if Hood is much better than Gerald Green, who was sitting at home a week ago; or Wayne Ellington, who is a career journeyman on basically a minimum contract.

On a sidenote, i absolutely think Jazz should tank this year and draft one of the top six players, hopefully Doncic where Quinn will be able to hide his weekness. Doncic is already near Hayward level at age 18. If we get Mirotic or any stretch 4, look at our roster vs Rockets (top 3 team in the west), it's eerily the same. The talent level is there, all we are missing is a superstar.

Without Harden:

Pass First PG: Chris Paul vs Ricky Rubio
Dynamic SG: Eric Gordon vs Donovan Mitchell
Elite 3-and-D SF: Trevor Ariza vs Joe Ingles
Stretch 4 PF: Ryan Anderson vs Nikola Mirotic
Rim Protect C: Clint Capela vs Rudy Gobert

Bench:

Another Elite 3-and-D SF: PJ Tucker vs Thabo
Instant Offense: Gerald Green vs Hood or Burks
Good Passing Big Man: Nene vs JJohnson
Dirty Work Big Man: Tarik Black vs Ekpe Udoh
Another 3-and-D wing: LRMAM vs Royce O'Neal

As you see, all we are missing is a superstar - who used to be Hayward. But we can easily get another superstar wing in this draft - Doncic / Bagley / Michael Porter Jr. At age 18, Doncic has already won EuroBasket (named to All-EuroBasket team) and Euroleague MVP of the month while playing at Real Madrid, which is one of the top teams in Europe. There really isn't any other way to get superstar players since Utah isn't a desired free agent destination.

Also, you can see what role players with Hood's talent level should be playing at. Definitely not an end game player who waves your best player away and take a contested 3.

Last edited:
Hood is not nearly as bad as people try to make him out to be. I agree he has been pressing a lot this season but the man is very talented and a great shooter overall. You can't just purge your entire roster of talent because you have a shiny new toy (Mitchell). You have to build around and have the right pieces. Hood is a definite piece of the puzzle, we just have to get other parts that fit.

Hood is hurting the team far more than he's helping it this year. His shot selection has been horrible, he's shooting the ball way too much, he doesn't get to the FT line, he isn't very good at creating for others, and he's abysmal on defense. To sum it up, when he's on the floor both sides of the ball suffer. The offense stagnates because when the ball touches his hands because the majority of the time he's going to go into iso and take a bad shot. And the defense suffers because he can't defend. Oftentimes he doesn't even show effort. In the 4th qtr vs Miami he was literally sagging all the way under the rim and leaving three point shooters wide open.

He could be a benefit to the team if he took good shots within the offense and gave an effort on defense.

I almost feel bad for those analyst that voted for him to be MIP. Dude's not even close

artflow_201801101926_zpsfsgoj53l.jpg

He was clearly fouled on the play he was upset about and he's definitely not the first player to ever be ejected from a game. Come on now, you're grasping at straws here to paint him in a bad light.

I mean, to be fair, hitting and potentially damaging a fan’s phone because you’re throwing an adult tantrum doesn’t really require grasping at straws to point out that it was a major dick move.

It seams pretty clear that Hood has not responded well to the added pressure of being a main option on offense. Its time to ship him to a contender for a late first round pick. The Jazz are pretty stellar when It comes to drafting late.

I mean, to be fair, hitting and potentially damaging a fan’s phone because you’re throwing an adult tantrum doesn’t really require grasping at straws to point out that it was a major dick move.

I like to call it an aggressive high five.

It seams pretty clear that Hood has not responded well to the added pressure of being a main option on offense. Its time to ship him to a contender for a late first round pick. The Jazz are pretty stellar when It comes to drafting late.

So because he's not the #1 option and turning himself into LeBron we trade him away? That makes since.

Ok I see. No he's not LeBron. He's not Carmello. He's not Jamal Crawford. He's not JJ Redick. He's not even Kyle Korver. He's not what the team or he expected he would become.

The truth of the matter is he's not what we expected and we will have to pay him more than he's worth if we don't trade him. Or we let him walk and lose a viable asset.

Hood made the Zach Lowe 10 things I like and dont like list

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22048007/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-dirk-nowitzki-nba

5. When Rodney Hood doesn't settle
Catch Hood on the right night, and he looks like a star -- raining 3-pointers, and dropping in soft, old-school lefty floaters. He makes you forget all the other nights when he goes 2-of-7 on those tough midrange looks.

Only 11 percent of Hood's shots have come within four feet of the hoop, a career-low, and a mark that puts him in the 9th percentile among wing players, per Cleaning The Glass. His tendency to settle deflates his free throw attempts and passing numbers. You can't drive-and-kick if you abort drives before drawing extra help. Hood averages less than two assists per game -- a teensy number for a wing who has the ball so much.

He has more in him. When he takes that one extra dribble deep into the paint, Hood unlocks more options, and serves up some canny interior passes:

You can see him pause to contemplate his pet floater before prodding for something better. Hood is already shooting 39 percent from deep. He tries on defense, and he's big enough to bully smaller guys in the paint. This extra dribble is the missing piece.

I really see a no win situation with Hood. 1. Pay him what he wants ($20m) and there's a huge risk he remains exactly what he is today and that contract kills the Jazz.
2. Lowball him and he feels slighted just like Hayward did.
3. He signs a short-term deal to try to increase his value. Then he becomes an UFA and maybe leaves? So all that investment in him for nothing.
I'm all in on trading him if the return is reasonable.

I really see a no win situation with Hood. 1. Pay him what he wants ($20m) and there's a huge risk he remains exactly what he is today and that contract kills the Jazz.
2. Lowball him and he feels slighted just like Hayward did.
3. He signs a short-term deal to try to increase his value. Then he becomes an UFA and maybe leaves? So all that investment in him for nothing.
I'm all in on trading him if the return is reasonable.
I’d like to see how the rest of the season goes. I don’t like the thought of paying him $20 million or even $17-18 million, especially when you still have Exum to sign as well. Jazz also need to look ahead in the fact if Mitchell continues to grow and improve and be the player you can see he will become he is going to have a heafty price tag when this first contract is up. They need to do what they need to do to cater around Gobert and Mitchell. I still believe Hood can be good and important, but he’s only worth so much, and he’s not worth $20 million as of now. Hood does have the attitude to fell slighted if you low ball him I agree, but I would rather take the chance at losing him than being in a money crunch when Donovan’s contract comes up, and on Donovan if he continues on his path they better just throw the money at him and not make him go find an offer like they did Hayward. We all know that meeting didn’t go well and Hayward probably did feel slighted, keep money available so the same doesn’t happen with Mitchell. Hoods value can’t be quite that high right now, and if that’s what they’re going to have to pay to keep him, trade him or let him go. Being a GM would be a complicated business and thought process....kudos Dennis Lyndsey, I’m glad these aren’t my decisions.