What's new

I know I wont regret this.. (motorcycle)

Was he wearing a helmet? I was surprised to learn that wearing a helmet isn't mandatory in Utah, which is fine, to each their own. It's the only question I failed when I was getting my Utah driver's license because I thought it was so obvious that you need to wear one.

I don't own a motorcycle but I've heard and seen enough tragedies that I know I would definitely wear a helmet. Your head turns into a watermelon if unprotected.
The guy was avidly against helmet laws. Campaigned hard when it was being considered.

Also said the way he wanted to go was riding his motorcycle.

20170603_175251_zpsa3q4mwgi.jpg

I got a KLR 650 about a year and a half ago. I rode it down to Zion earlier this year and had a blast. Like the OP said, people die on these things and I was hesitant to buy one, but absolutely love it. Does anyone else have an adventure bike?

I almost sold my bike last year after hip surgery. I'm glad I didn't. I've been riding a lot lately and lane splitting has been really fun. It's gets your adrenaline going.

I want to do a lot of trail riding this year. Who else rides?
IMG_20190512_184154_545_zpsrdrgjnew.jpg

IMG_20190512_184154_545_zpsrdrgjnew.jpg.html

Reactions: RJF
I detest lane splitting. Horrible idea. Everyone, you need to see motorcycles so they are safe, except of course when they rip between your car and another at 90 when traffic is thick and moving at 60. Yeah, that's entirely safe for everyone.

Watched a cop Lane splitting clip a guys mirror. Traffic was moderate, thick but moving at maybe 30. The cop immediately flipped on the siren, stopped all traffic and pulled the guy off the freeway. He had his ticket book out before we even started moving again. Funny thing is the guy had actually shifted over in his lane, the cop swerved into him. Total ********.

If they want to allow lane splitting they should paint a 2 foot wide lane for motorcycles. I've now personally witnessed 4 accidents directly connected to lane splitting. 2 motorcycle against car, 2 car against car when the driver was obviously startled and over-reacted to get out of the way. I've also seen plenty of birds flipped by bike riders at cars as they pass, and many times seen them smack a car they felt didn't give them enough room. I think the whole concept is terrible. Probably fun for the bike rider, horrible idea for bike and general public safety on the freeway.

I detest lane splitting. Horrible idea. Everyone, you need to see motorcycles so they are safe, except of course when they rip between your car and another at 90 when traffic is thick and moving at 60. Yeah, that's entirely safe for everyone.

Watched a cop Lane splitting clip a guys mirror. Traffic was moderate, thick but moving at maybe 30. The cop immediately flipped on the siren, stopped all traffic and pulled the guy off the freeway. He had his ticket book out before we even started moving again. Funny thing is the guy had actually shifted over in his lane, the cop swerved into him. Total ********.

If they want to allow lane splitting they should paint a 2 foot wide lane for motorcycles. I've now personally witnessed 4 accidents directly connected to lane splitting. 2 motorcycle against car, 2 car against car when the driver was obviously startled and over-reacted to get out of the way. I've also seen plenty of birds flipped by bike riders at cars as they pass, and many times seen them smack a car they felt didn't give them enough room. I think the whole concept is terrible. Probably fun for the bike rider, horrible idea for bike and general public safety on the freeway.
Agree 100%

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Utah's lane splitting law isn't like California, so it won't be quite as dangerous. It can only occur at red lights when the traffic is stopped, and only on four-lane roads with a speed limit of 45 or less.

I haven't had one come up on me yet, but I startle easily and will likely scream. Good thing I keep my windows up.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

View attachment 7369 I have also loved lane splitting. Great new law!

I have a Kawasaki Vulcan street bike.
I was splitting on Monday and someone in a car squeezed in on me and I popped his mirror. I looked at him like oops and wtf. He looked at my while laughing and raised his hand as if to say my bad then gave me a thumbs up. I figured he was a rider himself or something. I can see someone getting pissed about that and making a big deal about it. For now on though, I'll be moving 5 mph while splitting.

Another thing I've adapted to is while lane splitting the light turns green a lot so what I'll do is keep splitting until the flow of traffic reaches the cars next to me and then I'll slip into a lane. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do in those situations, but that works for me.

Lane splitting gets my adrenaline going cause I know it pisses people off. Lol. There's something about that and knowing you're obeying the laws that make it way fun. I got so tense from doing it on Monday I got a kinked neck. I'm a glass house.

There's a safer way to lane split than doing it recklessly. If drivers were aware and courteous and realized lane splitting is safer for motorcycles (Google it) and it reduces traffic then it would be that much better. Too many people take lane splitting defensively or take it personal. I used to be that way when I first started riding in CA 12 years ago, but my perspective has changed. Lane splitting just makes sense. Yes, accidents can and will happen, but the more people are educated and practice courteous driving it will be a win/win imo.

I highly recommend watching Motovlogs on YouTube to get a rider's perspective. I have my own channel and am just starting to get back into it.

There's a safer way to lane split than doing it recklessly. If drivers were aware and courteous and realized lane splitting is safer for motorcycles (Google it) and it reduces traffic then it would be that much better. Too many people take lane splitting defensively or take it personal. I used to be that way when I first started riding in CA 12 years ago, but my perspective has changed. Lane splitting just makes sense. Yes, accidents can and will happen, but the more people are educated and practice courteous driving it will be a win/win imo.

I highly recommend watching Motovlogs on YouTube to get a rider's perspective. I have my own channel and am just starting to get back into it.
I did Google it. Most of the studies you see were sponsored by motorcycle enthusiast groups. Nhtsa has yet to weigh in on it other than to say that it is reasonable safe as long as it is A) in traffic generally moving less than 50 mph and B) the bike rider isn't going more than 10 to 15 mph over the general speed of traffic. Several engineers from the nhtsa have come out to say they find it very dangerous and an unnecessary risk since there is no evidence it has reduced accidents, and actually more evidence it has increased accidents. I

So if they followed those guidelines I imagine it would be safe. But you know what? If drivers followed the rules we were all taught there would be no traffic accidents at all. How is that going so far? I see bikes lane splitting all the time. Regardless of amount of traffic, speed, weather conditions, etc. I was just this morning in traffic going between 70 and 80, pretty smooth flow, since it is California moderately heavy. And here come 3 guys on bikes, splitting every lane, whipping back and forth through traffic, easily going 20 mph faster than everyone else. And that is the problem. Once the restriction is lifted so many feel like there are no restrictions now. California estimated between 15 and 20% of all motorcycle related accidents were due to lane splitting since it was format legalized. Independent studies done in the state determined most of those were entirely caused by lane splitting. I think they looked at over 5000 accidents. So 750 extra accidents. If it ever comes to a vote I will vote no.

Didn't care to start a new thread but look what iiiiii just got! It's my first bike. I was planning on the new KLR600 but this kind of fell in to my lap and I pulled the trigger. So far no regrets even though I've only taken it out a few small runs with this garbage weather we've had the last 3 days.

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513
If you're in Utah you should arrange to go on a ride with @Archie Moses and do a youtube for his channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXD-4DrRIOyY-Rt8i4XEKjA