What's new

If not Rubio then what?

Someone like Rubio. The offense runs great with Rubio outside of his defender being able to sag off or bait him into shooting.

This. His dribble is tight and his shot volume isn’t that high. Things are being taken out of context around here. I hope they keep sagging off on him so he can make those mid-range jumpers when he runs to his left.

I don't think Dellie would replace Rubio. We would get him to provide more stable backup PG play moving Exum to backup SG duties.

He might cut into Rubio minutes (yay), but Rubio would stay the starter this season.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Delly is bad... and now that you aren’t allowed to tackle people I’m not sure he can even play defense.

If we are replacing Rubio and Dante let’s get someone with more variance.

I’d rather roll with Neto’s corpse than Delly.

So someone like Rubio but that can shoot and maybe won’t turn it over as much?

Is that more like Kyle Lowry? Chris Paul? Mike Conley? Do we make “floor generals” anymore?

I think we have enough floor general with Ingles, DM, that we just need another guard who can pass and dribble... don’t think they need to control the ball or be a pass first player.

So the offense runs great with him other than the huge flaw he has that effs up the offense? Is that like saying Kanter is fine on defense other than getting beat over and over again in iso and PnR?
Turnovers don't bother me unless they are careless or low reward. You have to risk it for the biscuit.

This. His dribble is tight and his shot volume isn’t that high. Things are being taken out of context around here. I hope they keep sagging off on him so he can make those mid-range jumpers when he runs to his left.
But when they keep leaving him wide open and he keeps missing, then we're going to continue to be blown out. That's what happened in this game. He kept missing and missing, wide open; it affected the Jazz mentally, and then it seemed everything broke down.

honestly, Mitchell isn't a PG type. He is turnover prone and has problems when being asked to score+facilitate. He would be best with a PG who can pass well and shoot better than rubio.......which isn't hard to do, but a PG that can space the floor to open the floor up.

And of course floor generals are still made. Floor generals don't have to be ball dominant or pass first. Its just a presence they bring. Exum and Mitchell don't have that. Ingles has it, but its different when it comes from a point.

I agree with what Cy is saying about the floor general thing. Exum doesn't have it and Rubio does. It is unfortunate that Rubio's shooting is so bad and our other pieces are so offensively limited that he just isn't working.

Teams know now exactly how to defend us - blanket Joe and Donovan knowing Rubio will likely fail at beating them.

And of course floor generals are still made. Floor generals don't have to be ball dominant or pass first. Its just a presence they bring. Exum and Mitchell don't have that. Ingles has it, but its different when it comes from a point.

I think you are selling DM short... I think he can playmake at an acceptable level to make him the best option at the PG position. I think you have a floor general and a guy that can develop more playmaking. I think having a playmaking big point guard that can shoot would be wonderful but those guys don’t grow on trees and the established options are max guys that their teams won’t give up.

Exum doesn’t seem to have that leadership floor general aspect... DM has some of it. PGs are different now... some really successful teams get playmaking from many spots and don’t have traditional point guards.

With our offense especially we don’t have or want just one ball dominant player. I don’t think Ricky Royce AB or Exum are ideal next DM. A decent playmaking and shooting wing or PG would work. I think DM is fairly flexible and there are quite a few fits that would work well but I think shooting will need to be a requirement. Ricky and Exum can’t shoot... Royce isn’t a willing shooter and commits some bad turnovers because he isn’t a good ball handler... I just can’t fully trust AB’s shooting or defense... he’s just kind of spacey. All are fine as secondary or tertiary options next to DM... but I think we need to find a guy that is a clear fit.

I agree with what Cy is saying about the floor general thing. Exum doesn't have it and Rubio does. It is unfortunate that Rubio's shooting is so bad and our other pieces are so offensively limited that he just isn't working.

Teams know now exactly how to defend us - blanket Joe and Donovan knowing Rubio will likely fail at beating them.

I think we have become easy to defend... guys can drop 3 guys into the paint on the Gobert roll... stick close to Joe and DM and you can recover to Favs in time to affect his shot. If the defense was more consistent then we’d probably be able to stitch it together.

I just can’t imagine trusting Ricky long term. If he isn’t the answer I think we should be working toward the answer now. I want to see more of the starting lineup with DM as the primary playmaker and good shooters like Joe and AB (right now he’s really good). Let’s see if the offense is better and the defense holds up.

I don't know what you're talking about. Mitchell has an amazing presence.

He seemed to out playmake Westbrick and Paul George in a closeout game in the playoffs. He’s right there with Joe on assists per 36.

I’d prefer our playmaking be spread out more and I think it may actually help DM to be more of a playmaker and less of a feeling of having to create the shot and finish it. I think he has to be dynamic if we are going to win a title someday... why not give him more of the keys and ask him to be more complete?

If Rockets don't sort things out. Is there a chance CP3 becomes available?

Not anytime soon and I’d rather not get the backend of his deal. He is has played better and they are winning... those two things are related. If they stop winning it’s likely cuz he’s dropped off... if he’s dropped off we don’t want that albatross deal... it’s a chicken egg thing.

Right now, with the current personnel, it's a no brainer to play DM at the point at least sometimes. It's really obvious that he's our PG of the future. He has the speed, handle, vision, penetration ability, and the outside jumper. He needs to improve on all of those areas, but he already possess skill in all of them. Might as well embrace it now.

Know one knows what exum is until u actually play him properly. He can't shoot I agree. The problem with exum is quin. He has f##### with his head that much I think he ruined him. Honestly I like rozier. I want the best for the jazz. But I would like Dante have a chance somewhere else. Trey Lyle's is better now so is kanter. Even is Trey Burke. I'm a jazz supporter but let Dante go I would like to see him under a coach that instills confidence in him. Quin ruined him.