What's new

If not Rubio then what?

Washington is getting boat-raced by Dallas right now. Dallas may get extra rest before game here tomorrow.

Anyone but Rozier.

Answer the question or are you too afraid to go with your usual company line - "Rubio is going to figure it out."

Followed by "We re-signed Rubio because we didn't have any better options" when we re-sign him in the summer.

Followed by "what other options did we have available instead of Rubio" when we get to another Rubio struggle spot next year.

Followed by "DL will target a big player next summer."

It will be the same song and dance you've been doing about Favors for about 5 years.

I spoke with Rubio we'll see how he looks tomorrow night

Well what do you mean by faith in Exum? I mean he is already showing to be a legitimate NBA player. I know it gets beat into the ground but he IS basically in his 3rd season by games played. But if "faith" to you means All-Star then sure he hasn't showed that level of play to this point.

This isn't 1987. We now see guys come in from day one and hit the ground running in the NBA. Look at Mitchell. But Exum, despite being 23.4 years old, and having 172 games played under his belt, in just 18.5 minutes a night (less than each of his first two years) this season, is shooting just 41.2%/28.6%/75.0% from the field. But, but, but, he needs burn. Give me a break. Every day, every season, kids are given limited opportunity and make the most of it, thus earning more time because they deserve it.

Don't conflate flashes with actual production. He's not a good basketball player.

Answer the question or are you too afraid to go with your usual company line - "Rubio is going to figure it out."

Followed by "We re-signed Rubio because we didn't have any better options" when we re-sign him in the summer.

Followed by "what other options did we have available instead of Rubio" when we get to another Rubio struggle spot next year.

Followed by "DL will target a big player next summer."

It will be the same song and dance you've been doing about Favors for about 5 years.
Rubio > Rozier

This isn't 1987. We now see guys come in from day one and hit the ground running in the NBA. Look at Mitchell. But Exum, despite being 23.4 years old, and having 172 games played under his belt, in just 18.5 minutes a night (less than each of his first two years) this season, is shooting just 41.2%/28.6%/75.0% from the field. But, but, but, he needs burn. Give me a break. Every day, every season, kids are given limited opportunity and make the most of it, thus earning more time because they deserve it.

Don't conflate flashes with actual production. He's not a good basketball player.

You named one of the best rookie seasons ever. Exum shouldn't be held up the standard of Mitchell, nor should anybody really. I see you pulled up your stats which is fine but would you be surprised to know that we are better with him on the floor than not?

Exum is a legitimate NBA player now, and the flashes are and always have been encouraging. It would be asinine for a team (especially a market that HAS to keep their draft talent) to give up on a player like Exum.

You named one of the best rookie seasons ever. Exum shouldn't be held up the standard of Mitchell, nor should anybody really. I see you pulled up your stats which is fine but would you be surprised to know that we are better with him on the floor than not?

Exum is a legitimate NBA player now, and the flashes are and always have been encouraging. It would be asinine for a team (especially a market that HAS to keep their draft talent) to give up on a player like Exum.

Hold him up to any 3rd year player then, since he has more than two full years under his belt. Third year players are Simmons, Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Hield, Dunn, Murray, Sabonis, Prince, Levert, Murray, Brogdon...and more like Poeltl who play well in the time given.

Exum pales in comparison to all of those guys. He blows. Let's not kid ourselves. He's on the ****ing clock for me and has about 70 games left to show me he isn't just an epileptic ballerina with good fast twitch fibers.

Hold him up to any 3rd year player then, since he has more than two full years under his belt. Third year players are Simmons, Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Hield, Dunn, Murray, Sabonis, Prince, Levert, Murray, Brogdon...and more like Poeltl who play well in the time given.

Exum pales in comparison to all of those guys. He blows. Let's not kid ourselves. He's on the ****ing clock for me and has about 70 games left to show me he isn't just an epileptic ballerina with good fast twitch fibers.
I wouldn't say he "blows", but he seems like an offensively limited niche player without much offensive upside.

Lol. Good description.. I love the kid but he needs to show some real and consistent improvement this season

Exum's case is unusual. He joined the Utah Jazz directly from an Australian high school. He basically didn't know how to play organized basketball.
And he missed 1.5 seasons because of injuries so he's handicapped 2-3 years at least! I actually consider this season his 2nd/3rd year and am not ready to give up on him. And despite his still ugly looking jump-shooting form, he looks unstoppable oftentimes with ball in his hand. He has elite speed, defense, court vision, size. That's a lot of elite attributes.

He played as much as a regular starter would play in a single season only! He desperately needs minutes.

Exum's case is unusual. He joined the Utah Jazz directly from an Australian high school. He basically didn't know how to play organized basketball.
And he missed 1.5 seasons because of injuries so he's handicapped 2-3 years at least! I actually consider this season his 2nd/3rd year and am not ready to give up on him. And despite his still ugly looking jump-shooting form, he looks unstoppable oftentimes with ball in his hand. He has elite speed, defense, court vision, size. That's a lot of elite attributes.

He played as much as a regular starter would play in a single season only! He desperately needs minutes.

My instinct, if I were coach, would be to give Exum the keys to the offense and see where it goes. But that would mean tanking this season. It's hard to say, but from watching the few games this season, as well as other teams, it seems that NBA is making a radical change and very quickly because of the dominance of the Warriors. One thing that Exum possesses is the speed to match this change, and Ricky surely doesn't. This is not to say Ricky isn't a solid player but it seems the new NBA game has passed him by, and Favors too -- stretch-4s are no longer a luxury but a necessity. Even Rudy may become a dinosaur as you see all the problems bigs with 3-pt shooting have given him.

Exum's ability to break into the paint against any defender is extremely valuable. Yes he isn't finishing well, and no the stats don't represent exactly how much he sets up. He has a high number of potential assists and "hockey" assists. Many times Exum's drive leads to the ball swinging around the perimeter to an open shot. I'm surprised Jazz fans who actually watch the games don't see the value Exum provides right now, not even considering the fact that if he can improve his finishing or add a floater he's a tough person to guard.

Sure the clock is ticking for you, but I'm glad the Jazz are rational and see it differently. If you're wanting to give up on a young player with his tools because of shooting concerns then you haven't been paying attention to the NBA recently.

Yep let’s give Exum til he’s 30 to find his shot and learn how to finish at the rim. He just hasn’t had enough time.

Jrue Holiday - total minutes last season 3288
Dante Exum - total career minutes 3465

X did not play that much, he'll benefit from getting more minutes.
Saying he's not a good player based on raw stats is silly. Dude posted +7.8 NETRTG last season coming back from injury. Laughable, man.

Right. We took him 5th even though he never played organized basketball and he never played organized ball despite videos of him doing just that, getting to the line a million x a game in high school, and the fact that his dad played at UNC, and was drafted and then played professionally in Australia.

Yep, the kid never played organized ball.

Last edited: