What's new

If not Rubio then what?

Which was more because we didn't have the balls to make the deal instead of NY. 2 years ago, i said target a salary dump deal like that (Noah, Deng,etc). I think we were too proud to try a deal because we thought we could do better. NY and LA were desperate to get off those deals but nobody would do them. Eventually, they are both going to waste $7 million of cap room for 3 years.

Glad we got Thabo, Udoh and Neto though......

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Westbrook should have taught yall trying to transform a star SG into a PG isnt always the best idea.

If only Westbrook had Ricky he might have been an all star, maybe an mvp, maybe he could have gone to the finals.

Guys be careful... this is a cautionary tale that will surely happen if we go this route.

If only Westbrook had Ricky he might have been an all star, maybe an mvp, maybe he could have gone to the finals.

Guys be careful... this is a cautionary tale that will surely happen if we go this route.
You can joke all you want, but a lot of Westbrook's problems stem from the Thunder making him a PG and not putting a floor general next to him.

I'd rather him focus on the role he is really good at and potentially elite.

I think he is potentially elite at pg. As do most of the other jazz fans that have voiced their opinion in this discussion.

I'm tired of everybody talking about our PG problems. I want to talk about potential solutions (outside of DM at PG):

Detroit gets John Wall (they are tied to overpaid Griffen and Drummond so might as well improve where you can and go all in)

Orlando gets Reggie Jackson (they are better than expected but desperate for a decent PG)

Washington gets Rubio (they want a roster reset, dump Wall's monster deal and build around Beal, Oubre and Porter)

We get draft considerations and expirings. We use those draft considerations to get Rozier from Boston.

Way too complicated to be realistic, but all 4 teams would be happy and probably better for now and the long run.

Cy usually knows his stuff but he has been off lately.

You can joke all you want, but a lot of Westbrook's problems stem from the Thunder making him a PG and not putting a floor general next to him.

Had he just had a really limited offensive player next to him he would have had to learn how to shoot and how to play 4 on 5... it would have really helped his creativity. It would have helped him play defense all the time as well. He’s had world class coaches that have really tried to reign him in and didn’t just let him do whatever the eff he wanted.

He could have made something of himself... had he only had a real floor general, someone who was hungry, someone with heart, someone who just wanted it more, and all the other vague superlative intangible things a truly great player needs.

You’d have a much better argument for Ricky if you focused on defense.

Had he just had a really limited offensive player next to him he would have had to learn how to shoot and how to play 4 on 5... it would have really helped his creativity. It would have helped him play defense all the time as well. He’s had world class coaches that have really tried to reign him in and didn’t just let him do whatever the eff he wanted.

He could have made something of himself... had he only had a real floor general, someone who was hungry, someone with heart, someone who just wanted it more, and all the other vague superlative intangible things a truly great player needs.

You’d have a much better argument for Ricky if you focused on defense.
You're pulling a Lopo by ignoring the point Im making and creating a false one

You're pulling a Lopo by ignoring the point Im making and creating a false one

When you are ready to make one clear point based on anything measurable I’m here for it...

GTFO here with pulling a LoPo... you are ducking any real argument cuz you have nothing real to base it on. When you got nothing you go to unarguable points and insults.

Cy usually knows his stuff but he has been off lately.
No he hasn't. He has a perspective and is able to argue for it better than most.

He has a point here.... although, it does seem like we're lacking a reasonably tight definition of what a "floor general" is.

No he hasn't. He has a perspective and is able to argue for it better than most.

He has a point here.... although, it does seem like we're lacking a reasonably tight definition of what a "floor general" is.

The floor general argument is baseless though. Last year the offense was better with Ricky off the floor. When we had Hill the offense was much better... he’s not a traditional pg... good shooter and very low turnover. We had Hayward who could play make as well as Ingles.

The offensive issues are exaggerated because everyone is shooting below their prior year averages on catch and shoot threes... but this particular slump for Ricky has me thinking that we shouldn’t consider this the long term fit. I just think we can be intentional about how we build. It’s clear Ricky was brought in at the advice of Gordon... we worked around it but it wasn’t the ideal fit. Per Andy Larsen... we had a good read on a deal for Lowry if we scrapped the Hayward pursuit... we had a deal for Bledsoe lined up but Gordon didn’t want to play with him.

Like if Ricky was still in Minny would he be a guy we’d go and get if we have the same basic core? I think that’d be a pretty clear no.

So we can create one of the best shots in basketball but don’t make it at an average level... so it’s almost like if we added more shooting it’d solve a lot of our problems.
Weird. It’s not like some of us have been talking about this since Kobe single-handedly exposed Brewer and destroyed the Jazz offense a ****ing decade ago.

I cannot wrap my head around why teams keep trying to shoehorn not-great players that can’t shoot into important players and think they’re serious about winning. The data is very clear on what works in this league, and players like Ricky and Favors ain’t it.

They would be fine players 20+ years ago.

So you're gonna bank on the 3 months Rubio could shoot The ball when there is 10yrs of evidence that he can't??
Another thing that kills me: talking about Rubio playing closer to his career averages like he’s “in a slump”. Like, really? That’s who he ****ing is until he proves otherwise, and 35 games doesn’t mean **** in the scheme of things.

Weird. It’s not like some of us have been talking about this since Kobe single-handedly exposed Brewer and destroyed the Jazz offense a ****ing decade ago.

I cannot wrap my head around why teams keep trying to shoehorn not-great players that can’t shoot into important players and think they’re serious about winning. The data is very clear on what works in this league, and players like Ricky and Favors ain’t it.

They would be fine players 20+ years ago.

I think Favs has been fine... he’s only miscast for the time he and Rudy share the floor... he’s been consistent. We’ve seen how we are effective with small ball options and I think we have good options on the roster to address that issue.

Ricky... I don’t think we have a great option outside of DM. DM is the primary creator... has great size for a pg but slightly undersized for a sg/wing. Has a good assist rate for a sg. We have other guys that help to distribute. We have an egalitarian offense that doesn’t require a true pg. if we don’t try it extensively then how do we know what to pursue in trades or FA?

Also, how much do we value Ricky in FA if he gets hot (for him) and he gets to his mediocre averages? Tough to rely on a guy that can get this cold. He wouldn’t be in my long term plans at this point and if he isn’t in the long term plans I think you move now.

I think Favs has been fine... he’s only miscast for the time he and Rudy share the floor... he’s been consistent. We’ve seen how we are effective with small ball options and I think we have good options on the roster to address that issue.

Ricky... I don’t think we have a great option outside of DM. DM is the primary creator... has great size for a pg but slightly undersized for a sg/wing. Has a good assist rate for a sg. We have other guys that help to distribute. We have an egalitarian offense that doesn’t require a true pg. if we don’t try it extensively then how do we know what to pursue in trades or FA?

Also, how much do we value Ricky in FA if he gets hot (for him) and he gets to his mediocre averages? Tough to rely on a guy that can get this cold. He wouldn’t be in my long term plans at this point and if he isn’t in the long term plans I think you move now.
I have no idea what Ricky’s market is. I might just ask him if he’d rather come off the bench or be traded.

If only Rubio could develop a solid jumper....
There are plays where he just stands with the ball and the D is just cloaking the paint and shutting the pass lines to the wings.
If RR could score from those distances, he would find it easier to dish out passes.

I'm tired of everybody talking about our PG problems. I want to talk about potential solutions (outside of DM at PG):

Detroit gets John Wall (they are tied to overpaid Griffen and Drummond so might as well improve where you can and go all in)

Orlando gets Reggie Jackson (they are better than expected but desperate for a decent PG)

Washington gets Rubio (they want a roster reset, dump Wall's monster deal and build around Beal, Oubre and Porter)

We get draft considerations and expirings. We use those draft considerations to get Rozier from Boston.

Way too complicated to be realistic, but all 4 teams would be happy and probably better for now and the long run.

giphy.gif