What's new

If not Rubio then what?

When you are ready to make one clear point based on anything measurable I’m here for it...

GTFO here with pulling a LoPo... you are ducking any real argument cuz you have nothing real to base it on. When you got nothing you go to unarguable points and insults.

And that my friend, is how Cy pulls a Cy. He takes shots even when he has no shot to make. Oddly, that sounds like Rubio most the time and Crowder the other night. This conversation dovetailed nicely.

Let's just face it. Cy always tries to find a way to argue the other side even when he's wrong. He ridicules when he's lost the true argument. He's going to argue Rubio until he's the blue in the face because he simply won't admit that we ain't going anywhere with Rubio leading this team. Rubio had his chance to have a special moment here but he got hurt for the Houston series when he was lucky enough to be playing the best ball of his life.

This team needs change that should have come in the summer. We still have hope though. This season isn't lost.

giphy.gif

I actually love this for two reasons:

#1 - it is spot on about me. I wanted to change the subject from Rubio who I know is a broken fit so why talk about it anymore.

#2 - this is actually what I feel like every time Rubio clanks a shot. So it happens a lot.

This thread makes 0 sense to me. Rubio is here to stay, the Jazz don’t have the run they had last season without him and now we all ready to ditch him or what. Lol

A floor general is about presence, and feeling safe about having him bring up the ball, but more importantly he’s the eyes of the coach. Notice how often Quin and Rubio talk to each other.

If anything I think he should shoot more and get himself out of this funk. Give him a few more games...

The floor general argument is baseless though. Last year the offense was better with Ricky off the floor. When we had Hill the offense was much better... he’s not a traditional pg... good shooter and very low turnover. We had Hayward who could play make as well as Ingles.

The offensive issues are exaggerated because everyone is shooting below their prior year averages on catch and shoot threes... but this particular slump for Ricky has me thinking that we shouldn’t consider this the long term fit. I just think we can be intentional about how we build. It’s clear Ricky was brought in at the advice of Gordon... we worked around it but it wasn’t the ideal fit. Per Andy Larsen... we had a good read on a deal for Lowry if we scrapped the Hayward pursuit... we had a deal for Bledsoe lined up but Gordon didn’t want to play with him.

Like if Ricky was still in Minny would he be a guy we’d go and get if we have the same basic core? I think that’d be a pretty clear no.
Right now I'm sorta of the opinion that Donovan should play off-ball, primarily. I'd like to see plays run where he gets open catch-n-shoot threes or is attacking close-outs. I can agree with the idea of moving on from Ricky, but I like the idea of acquiring a replacement who can -- with Joe -- set up this offense. It would be nice if this player could bring the ball up under pressure, attack the rim, and hit 3s at a dangerous clip. I'd be surprised if this player was named Dante or Grayson.

EDIT: The outline of these thoughts would change if DM started hitting pull-up, above-the-break 3s. If that started happening, then I love the idea of DM bringing the ball up and initiating. That said, I'd still like to see him paired with someone who can put him in the half-court situations described above.

Last edited:
Kemba would be awesome. Does everyone think he's going diva/big market? No way he stays in Dumpster Firelotte, right?

Most reports say that Kemba is a major part of Charlotte's plans. If they throw max or near max money at him, I don't see him leaving. If he were to leave, I don't see it being for us.

Right now I'm sorta of the opinion that Donovan should play off-ball, primarily. I'd like to see plays run where he gets open catch-n-shoot threes or is attacking close-outs. I can agree with the idea of moving on from Ricky, but I like the idea of acquiring a replacement who can -- with Joe -- set up this offense. It would be nice if this player could bring the ball up under pressure, attack the rim, and hit 3s at a dangerous clip. I'd be surprised if this player was named Dante or Grayson.

EDIT: The outline of these thoughts would change if DM started hitting pull-up, above-the-break 3s. If that started happening, then I love the idea of DM bringing the ball up and initiating. That said, I'd still like to see him paired with someone who can put him in the half-court situations described above.

For me... the characteristics above are great... but hard to find. Nearly anyone can bring the ball up outside of the Kyle Korver types.

I want the following:

-size
-shooting
-run pick and roll
-at least average defense
-solid passing

The shooting and running pick and roll are a must imo. I think the other things are easier to find in wing sg types... I also think DM is our best driver and is able to beat his man more easily which is where creation starts.

Ricky isn’t a threat at the rim, defenders are actively running away from him on his shot, and he’s turnover prone. He is struggling in the pick and roll... DM is much better there right now. Allowing him to be on the floor with our best offensive players and to be handling the ball so much is murdering us... we can make it work in spurts but I feel that group should be better than “we are making it work okayish” level.

I just don’t want to be in the Ricky business long term.

Cavs are tanking. Maybe we should send Exum+ pick or cash or some other garbage to match salaries for Hill and Korver? Not a long term solution but would give us more stability at pg and some shooting of the bench.

Cavs are tanking. Maybe we should send Exum+ pick or cash or some other garbage to match salaries for Hill and Korver? Not a long term solution but would give us more stability at pg and some shooting of the bench.

I don't see us giving up on Exum yet. However, this seems reasonable (if our FO/fans would be okay with Hill coming back):

Burks and Thabo for Hill: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yddrlg5s

Cleveland gets to save a few million. Maybe we throw in some 2nd rounder too.

I personally would aim higher, but I'm responding to the question at hand.

Kemba would be awesome. Does everyone think he's going diva/big market? No way he stays in Dumpster Firelotte, right?

He likes it there and they can give him the most money. Don’t get any sort of diva vibe at all... just think he’d go back to NY if he left Charlotte. I think we would be 3rd or 4th on most guy’s lists for one reason or another.

I have done enough trash talking on rubio for a while. Regardless of how he plays he will be the starting point guard for the utah jazz for the remainder of this year and he will get the most minutes at point guard of anyone on our team (barring injury of course). He could shoot 0-50 in the next 10 games and in the 11th game he would still be the starter and get 25+ minutes.

So might as well just cheer him on and root for him harder than anyone on the team since i am a jazz fan and the best way for the jazz to win games this year is for ricky to take and make open shots. When does that we are really hard to beat. When he doesn't do that its tough for us to win.

GO RICKY!

I think George Hill would be a nice stop-gap because that's what the Jazz are going to be working with on this topic. We know Hill isn't the leader that was advertised, and he has injury issues, but he's been a really nice player, especially when he's asked to step up. Let's also remember how he looked playing under Quin.

To @NAOS 's point; I agree Donovan is better served playing off-the-ball, I just don't know who we have that's going to be better at him at the 1 and making that switch provides an infusion of size as well.

I have done enough trash talking on rubio for a while. Regardless of how he plays he will be the starting point guard for the utah jazz for the remainder of this year and he will get the most minutes at point guard of anyone on our team (barring injury of course). He could shoot 0-50 in the next 10 games and in the 11th game he would still be the starter and get 25+ minutes.

So might as well just cheer him on and root for him harder than anyone on the team since i am a jazz fan and the best way for the jazz to win games this year is for ricky to take and make open shots. When does that we are really hard to beat. When he doesn't do that its tough for us to win.

GO RICKY!
So optimism is cool, but that is so ****ing bleak. Ricky is going to crash this season and the future plans of this franchise if a dramatic change doesn't happen. We will be having passionate debates about college players in February.

Last edited: