What's new

Interesting trade idea from Locke

I'm guessing you've never taken an economics class before. It's pretty clear I wasn't saying marginal to mean minimal.

https://www.facsnet.org/index.php?o...ide-to-economic-terms-04-02&catid=75:archives
lol! Forgive me for not applying economic terms in a discussion of the differences of two NBA draft picks.

mar·gin·al / ˈmärjənl/ • adj. of secondary or minor importance; not central: it seems likely to make only a marginal difference a marginal criminal element.

This is interesting even simply as a thought experiment for Jazzfanzers who are used to a franchise that stays the course. There is potential for this to work out very well for the Jazz, there is also a hefty amount of financial risk.

At this point I'm ready to pull the trigger on this deal because it nets us an elite athlete to run alongside Deron. There is also a chance that Brand pulls a Grant Hill and becomes steady after a series of injuries. Also, I'm not in the position to check this right now, but wouldn't Brand's contract expire at the end of DWill's contract, leaving us with cap space to resign Willy?

This is interesting even simply as a thought experiment for Jazzfanzers who are used to a franchise that stays the course. There is potential for this to work out very well for the Jazz, there is also a hefty amount of financial risk.

At this point I'm ready to pull the trigger on this deal because it nets us an elite athlete to run alongside Deron. There is also a chance that Brand pulls a Grant Hill and becomes steady after a series of injuries. Also, I'm not in the position to check this right now, but wouldn't Brand's contract expire at the end of DWill's contract, leaving us with cap space to resign Willy?

No, unless Deron doesn't opt out, which he can do in two seasons. Brand lasts three.

There is also a chance Brand will become a liability not just financially but on the court as well. What happens if/when Paul Millsap is outplaying Brand, a likelihood given the learning curve of the Jazz offense?

I'm guessing if the jazz did this deal they would draft Turner not cousins or favours. It would leave them a bit undersized at the 3 spot, but scoring wouldn't be a problem. With the nba's shift to emphasize gaurd & wing play It could pay off for several years for the jazz.

Still, I would hesitate. Brands contract would be a milstone around the neck. We would be counting the days till the contract was over, just like the last three years with AK. If you couldn't sign any other players, would it matter if you had two all-star gaurds?

Hold up, how many times have the Jazz signed pivotal free agents since... ever?

I'll help, it was two and at the time and one wasn't supposed to become an elite PF. Now he'll be let go for nothing (whether they make this trade or not).

The question about financial flexibility with the Jazz starts and ends with keeping what they've already acquired. I promise you, no matter what, if Turner or Favors ends up living up to their hype the Jazz will not be able to land them in free agency, and it would be years after Deron is sick of waiting and peaces out.

Do it.

Move Sap to starter, draft Cousins or Favors to play the 5. Brand's contract will expire when its time to re-sign Dwill, right?

this is very interesting trade idea. I would do this and get evan turner. if brand can get to 75% of his old self, he will be much better defensively than boozer and he will def. be a better offensive player than he is due to just the fact that d will will be feeding him couple of easy layups every game to get his confidence going. i do believe if we do this trade, it will make us a better team and more ready for the lakers.

the lineups would be

D-will - Price
Matthews - Turner
CJ - Turner
Brand - Millsap
Memo - Millsap

I REALLY like this lineup since it gives us two tall frontcourt players at the same time. and I do believe if we do have the 2nd pick, we need to pick turner without a doubt. although i have shown my love towards cousins and favors would also be a nice pick, i do not think you can pass on turner's talent at the no.2 spot.

I would do it. Move up draft turner, and have the best back court in the league for years. And who knows..maybe Brand has something left in the tank.

Boozer for michael beasley

You could also then trade boozer for beasley to add more up front. If he doesn't work out just let him go. With okur out they need another big guy in there.

I love Turner's game, but it would be really really hard to pass up Favors....

Super tough choice, Favors and Milsap would be just a nasty front court for years to come. Turner is a dynamic playmaker at the SG/SF spot, something we have never had. He will take some pressure off Deron and will work fine as the backup PG when Deron goes out. Does Philly do it? Probably not. They just signed Doug Collins who is a great coach for young players and think they want to rebuild around him. By the time Brand's contract is up their #2 pick will be nearing his prime and they will have a ton of cash.

Hold up, how many times have the Jazz signed pivotal free agents since... ever?

I'll help, it was two and at the time and one wasn't supposed to become an elite PF. Now he'll be let go for nothing (whether they make this trade or not).

The question about financial flexibility with the Jazz starts and ends with keeping what they've already acquired. I promise you, no matter what, if Turner or Favors ends up living up to their hype the Jazz will not be able to land them in free agency, and it would be years after Deron is sick of waiting and peaces out.

Co-sign..... People that think the Jazz will ever sign a free agent that lived up to the hype in the first few picks in any draft make me scratch my head. It'll only happen through the draft....not even trade, as long as KOC is GM. The end.

They just signed Doug Collins who is a great coach for young players

?!?

Is there a single guy that he developed that you couldn't possibly screw up.

It's hard to give a guy credit for Jordan, Pippen, and Grant Hill. Those were can't misses.

Whereas his most recent high draft picks (i.e. the only ones in the last 10 years) turned into Kwame Brown, Jared Jeffries and Juan Dixon.

Hmm. Basically I don't want any part of Brand. Philly still needs a power forward but they don't think Brand can do it anymore. The number 2 pick is tempting but no. Just say no to Brand.