What's new

Its Time to Tank

Say we draft Cason Wallace, sign Josh Richardson, and trade for DFS... pretty meh offseason... and yet.

Richardson
JC
DFS
Lauri
Kessler

with Sexton, Ochai, Wallace KO off the bench. Plus the other rookies... That will be a playoff team.
Jazz would not start Josh freaking Richardson over Sexton

Jazz would not start Josh freaking Richardson over Sexton
Swap em then... I think he's a guy I'd look at if I wanted to supplement the pg position and couldn't get a real pg I liked.

Was literally trying to find the most mid offseason ever to show that even with the most mid offseason we will be able to fill in the gaps and will be a playoff team.

We are playoff bound next season. No tank next year. Only way I could see a tank happening is due to injury. Like the spurs when david robinson got hurt and they drafted Duncan. And in that scenario I would be ok with it if it lead to a dynasty full of championships.

Agree… enjoy the tank now… we pushing that **** over a cliff this offseason.

I hope so. I was listening to Andy Larsen on ESPN700 today and he said if the Jazz can't add another star to pair with Lauri in the offseason, they may decide to stay in asset accumulation mode again next season, and take on bad contracts for first round picks, similar to what they did with taking on Westbrook's contract.

Andy is also not as high on this years draft as a lot of other people.

Last edited:
I hope so. I was listening to Andy Larsen on ESPN700 today and he said if the Jazz can't add another star to pair with Lauri in the offseason, they may decide to stay in asset accumulation mode again next season, and take on bad contracts for first round picks, similar to what they did with taking on Westbrook's contract.

Andy is also not nearly as high on this years draft as a lot of other people.
I don't see a lot of cap dump deals out there. Maybe Miami... If they let JC walk they might be able to tank another year but I just think Walker will be better, Lauri has leveled up, Sexton is likely more healthy and they won't find 50M in dead salary. I also think the draft next year is no bueno.... so the payoff will be bad and there is a chance you do all that and end up sending the pick to OKC.

Say they retain JC... trade for Kyle Lowry or Duncan Robinson for some draft stuff... they will still have some room to work with. Add one rotation piece and if one of the rookies is solid you will be in the mix for the play in. We have accumulated enough assets that there is a diminishing return going forward imo.

Only way we tank next year is if Lauri gets hurt in the offseason or early in the year and we know he's out most of the year.

Say they retain JC... trade for Kyle Lowry or Duncan Robinson for some draft stuff... they will still have some room to work with. Add one rotation piece and if one of the rookies is solid you will be in the mix for the play in. We have accumulated enough assets that there is a diminishing return going forward imo.

I'm still hoping we get Keyonte Gorge so we won't need to trade for an expensive and/or aging point guard that doesn't match with your youngins' timeframe.

I'm still hoping we get Keyonte Gorge so we won't need to trade for an expensive and/or aging point guard that doesn't match with your youngins' timeframe.
Not sure I’d want him as a pg. Either way I’d want a vet involved.

I don't see a lot of cap dump deals out there. Maybe Miami... If they let JC walk they might be able to tank another year but I just think Walker will be better, Lauri has leveled up, Sexton is likely more healthy and they won't find 50M in dead salary. I also think the draft next year is no bueno.... so the payoff will be bad and there is a chance you do all that and end up sending the pick to OKC.

Only way we tank next year is if Lauri gets hurt in the offseason or early in the year and we know he's out most of the year.

Agree with all this. I was surprised to hear Andy bring it up...I hadn't really even considered that it might be an option again next season. We have plenty of assets already to build a championship contender, I don't think we need to be taking on bad contracts to add more. I'm on board with tanking this year but that's it, going forward I want to try to win every game.

Bulls are tanking for the top 4 imo. It is not that difficult to see why. They have no shot at winning in the playoffs this season are an aging roster and still have injuries plaguing them. Risking giving up their pick to ORL even if it is 5th despite more likely 8th is not any worse than getting a top 4 pick and than having to instead give ORL the Bulls pick in 24 which is far more likely to be late lottery at best.
They are tanking their asses off imo.
As far as us getting to 5th worse it is a pipe dream nothing more.
Bulls literally beat Denver tonight. The dream lives on.

Bulls are tanking for the top 4 imo. It is not that difficult to see why. They have no shot at winning in the playoffs this season are an aging roster and still have injuries plaguing them. Risking giving up their pick to ORL even if it is 5th despite more likely 8th is not any worse than getting a top 4 pick and than having to instead give ORL the Bulls pick in 24 which is far more likely to be late lottery at best.
They are tanking their asses off imo.
As far as us getting to 5th worse it is a pipe dream nothing more.
Zach LeVine: "Not on my watch".

This is exactly what's most likely to happen. As mentioned previously, it would also increase the likelihood of Lauri being traded to a contender next season.

I hope Ainge isn't dumb enough to think he can have his cake and eat it too. Markkanen has been a model citizen so far, but if it's looking like another tanking season is in the cards, his agent will remind him of some cold, hard facts. Not that he needs reminding - a 26 year old All Star who's never been to the playoffs knows the clock is ticking on his career.

I see the draft being meh for the Jazz - some nice rookies but nobody who will make any kind of a real difference next season. Good vet FA's (there won't be many) will take one look at our roster and decide they'd rather play somewhere else. Particularly when there's no guarantee of Lauri staying.

The bottom line is, it won't be easy to improve this team in the short term. That's why another tank is coming.

Last edited:
We’ve lost 4 in a row and our schedule only gets harder and the team tank will only get more fortified
True, but we've been _very_ shorthanded. If we keep playing very shorthanded, I think we'll lose a lot, if we don't, we could easily have been 4-0 over those games.

This is exactly what's most likely to happen. As mentioned previously, it would also increase the likelihood of Lauri being traded to a contender next season.

I hope Ainge isn't dumb enough to think he can have his cake and eat it too. Markkanen has been a model citizen so far, but if it's looking like another tanking season is in the cards, his agent will remind him of some cold, hard facts. Not that he needs reminding - a 26 year old All Star who's never been to the playoffs knows the clock is ticking on his career.

I see the draft being meh for the Jazz - some nice rookies but nobody who will make any kind of a real difference next season. Good vet FA's (there won't be many) will take one look at our roster and decide they'd rather play somewhere else. Particularly when there's no guarantee of Lauri staying.

The bottom line is, it won't be easy to improve this team in the short term. That's why the tank is coming.
Jazz can do it whatever they wanted.

The bottom line is, it won't be easy to improve this team in the short term. That's why another tank is coming.
Kessler was the 22nd pick and you see what we did with him right?

Since we could be getting 2 lottery picks in a strong draft I think we could do some damage next year.

We played Dallas close in their building.

In addition to Lauri we started:
Tec, 28 min 2/8 shooting
KO 27 min 3/8
Agbaji, 25 min 2/11
THT, 33 min 7/14

Bench minutes:
Juzang 14 min 2/9
Jones 23 min 3/3
Dunn 23 min 4/8
Gay 16 min 4/7
JTA 7 min 2/4

You really think its hard to find better players to take those minutes? Even low end FAs are improvement to some of those guys...