What's new

Its Time to Tank

So now that the season is just about over, all the early goodwill has been intentionally destroyed and we're watching G-League guys pretend to be NBA players while the coach keeps repeating "I tought we didn't give up" like a robot with a thousand yard stare... how do we feel about wasting a year of the prime of one the league's top players?

For all intents and purposes, this looks like a rebuilding team that has its sights on 3 or 4 years down the road. We have tons of picks, a couple of promising rookies, some very young players who may be long-term pieces... and then there's the giant elephant in the room called Lauri.

26 years old in a few weeks, in the absolute, red-hot prime of his career, wants to win and get to the playoffs ASAP, extension eligible soon. On the trade market, his value is through the roof as one of the most efficient scorers in the game that you can pair with absolutely anyone. A deal with a win-now team would probably bring back a huge haul of assets, including a rising star type of guy who's more in line with the timeline of the rest of this team.

I think we'll be very bad next season. Most likely the rookies we draft won't be difference makers, at least for a couple of seasons, and the FA market looks dry this offseason. There may not be a way to improve this roster quickly.

Ainge has a lot of selling to do. I have no idea how he'll convince Lauri to sign that extension if next season too turns sour. Might be mission impossible.

If we look like **** to start next season, the calls about Lauri will start coming. At which point will DA start picking them up?

So now that the season is just about over, all the early goodwill has been intentionally destroyed and we're watching G-League guys pretend to be NBA players while the coach keeps repeating "I tought we didn't give up" like a robot with a thousand yard stare... how do we feel about wasting a year of the prime of one the league's top players?

For all intents and purposes, this looks like a rebuilding team that has its sights on 3 or 4 years down the road. We have tons of picks, a couple of promising rookies, some very young players who may be long-term pieces... and then there's the giant elephant in the room called Lauri.

26 years old in a few weeks, in the absolute, red-hot prime of his career, wants to win and get to the playoffs ASAP, extension eligible soon. On the trade market, his value is through the roof as one of the most efficient scorers in the game that you can pair with absolutely anyone. A deal with a win-now team would probably bring back a huge haul of assets, including a rising star type of guy who's more in line with the timeline of the rest of this team.

I think we'll be very bad next season. Most likely the rookies we draft won't be difference makers, at least for a couple of seasons, and the FA market looks dry this offseason. There may not be a way to improve this roster quickly.

Ainge has a lot of selling to do. I have no idea how he'll convince Lauri to sign that extension if next season too turns sour. Might be mission impossible.

If we look like **** to start next season, the calls about Lauri will start coming. At which point will DA start picking them up?
Not sure if serious…

I probably way over think this stuff, but the OKC loss has me worried they end up losing out. They were actually trying to win that game, playing SGA while Indiana was sitting Haliburton. They have a tough schedule ahead, although Memphis might be resting players on their last game. The game we have with them coming up might be an epic tank game.

Few points:
  • Lauri is a late bloomer and is figuring out how to self-create, draw fouls, pass and score besides spot ups or silver platter feeds. His prime is still few years away.
  • Improving is easy when the bars are set by: THT, Fontecchio, Gay, Dunn, Juzang, Dok, Jones, JTA. Hell even the rookies we draft might improve us immediately.
  • According to many we are trying to be bad now but standings look like we are too good to tank. So saying we will be bad next year while trying to be good seems silly.
It would be nice if you once provided "your plan" or "an actual good NBA player" youd like to target in trades instead of hating all options and yelling "the sky is falling" at every turn.

Haha, we can always count on you to act like an idiot. Hopefully you aren't so negative in your real life.

Nice argumentation. You really convinced me.
Why would I try to convince you silly? I mean this season we still might make the playoffs trying our absolute hardest not too. That is really the only point that should be needed to convince you. I know it wont though lol.

Wow. I guess the truth really hurts.

Bunch of lazy ad hominem attacks in response to a post arguing an actual point... oh well, when it turns out I was right all along, I promise I won't rub it in.

It would be nice if you once provided "your plan" or "an actual good NBA player" youd like to target in trades
Do I have to do everything around here? I'm just setting the general direction, Danny can take care of the details. He's the one making the big bucks.

I have absolutely no idea who might be available, say, in early December. That's not important at this stage. I just think there's a rather big storyline being ignored here because people would rather not think about the fact that we may lose Lauri as early as next season, which, among other things, would also mean more losing seasons.

People seem to be awfully sure we're gunning for the playoffs next year no matter what. I think it's a mirage. As I outlined in my post, it may be very tough to improve in the short term. Lauri is a win-now piece and right now he's a square peg on a roster full of round holes.

Yeah... we're not making the playoffs. LOL
Well ya, we dont want to lol. I didn't say we will make the playoffs silly. I said we might. And we still could if we win a couple games we are trying to lose (has happened quite a few times this season already) and other teams just ahead of us lose games.

Do I have to do everything around here? I'm just setting the general direction, Danny can take care of the details. He's the one making the big bucks.

I have absolutely no idea who might be available, say, in early December. That's not important at this stage. I just think there's a rather big storyline being ignored here because people would rather not think about the fact that we may lose Lauri as early as next season, which, among other things, would also mean more losing seasons.

People seem to be awfully sure we're gunning for the playoffs next year no matter what. I think it's a mirage. As I outlined in my post, it may be very tough to improve in the short term. Lauri is a win-now piece and right now he's a square peg on a roster full of round holes.
exactly. tremendous downside.
Why the hell would we lose lauri next season? thats some chicken little tremendous downside **** right there.

Read my original post to find out
What is your original post? How do I find it? Or are you simply talking about the post I quoted which provides no reasoning for why would lose Lauri next year?

exactly. tremendous downside.
Why the hell would we lose lauri next season? thats some chicken little tremendous downside **** right there.
I don't think we are missing the play in next season, like this season, if everything goes as hoped. aka like Sexton plays well, or we draft someone that does. But if its a rookie running the team, it will be a learning curve like it or not.
I also think there was always the anticipation we could be worse by record in the first half of next season with all the player movement, despite the promise of the youth roster playing with chips.
Mike not being here has made a large difference , as well as guard injuries.
I think the priority of the summer is a veteran PG on the cheap, even if they are just a back up as well as another voice in the locker room.
This team is getting pretty young if we use all the picks as well.
It's not entirely insane to think we could tank next season if the Finnisher takes his leave, or worse is hurt. Outside of that, we will just be like this season try to win and maybe we will maybe we wont.

I don't think we are missing the play in next season, like this season, if everything goes as hoped. aka like Sexton plays well, or we draft someone that does. But if its a rookie running the team, it will be a learning curve like it or not.
I also think there was always the anticipation we could be worse by record in the first half of next season with all the player movement, despite the promise of the youth roster playing with chips.
Mike not being here has made a large difference , as well as guard injuries.
I think the priority of the summer is a veteran PG on the cheap, even if they are just a back up as well as another voice in the locker room.
This team is getting pretty young if we use all the picks as well.
It's not entirely insane to think we could tank next season if the Finnisher takes his leave, or worse is hurt. Outside of that, we will just be like this season try to win and maybe we will maybe we wont.
Ya none of this explains why we would lose Lauri next season either.

Ya none of this explains why we would lose Lauri next season either.
Here, I'll do all the work for you: