What's new

Jazz acquire NAW and Juancho Hernangomez for Ingles, Hughes, and two 2nd round picks.

Comparing Juancho to AK feels so flagrant.
If we must compare him to former Jazz players that are also foreign I’d say Jerebko with better lateral movement is in the ball park. Play hard and smart but Juan has never been known as some amazing defender. Because he’s not a disaster it likely looks amazing to us because of what we’ve had to compare it to the last few years.

If we must compare him to former Jazz players that are also foreign I’d say Jerebko with better lateral movement is in the ball park. Play hard and smart but Juan has never been known as some amazing defender. Because he’s not a disaster it likely looks amazing to us because of what we’ve had to compare it to the last few years.
Maybe he is more motivated now. He is on a good team with good team chemistry and a chance for a deep playoff run and he is trying to cement a decent payday for himself. Could be just the motivation he needs to step up his D to levels otherwise unknown to Hernangomez-kind.

With NAW and Juancho the multiple defensive efforts is what sticks out, more so Juancho because it is a bit of a surprise. It is a breath of fresh air to see someone besides Rudy make multiple defensive efforts on the same possession, Forrest some times does and O'Neal used to be more noticeable with multiple efforts but not so much last year and this year.

Rudy erases so many peoples mistakes BUT if you could just get consistent efforts on defense I think we can start to feel good about the Jazz' team D again. Too many times you just get one effort like a single help but then that person doesn't keep rotating or someone else on the team gets lost in the team help rotation and you get Rudy doing everything himself. That is an over simplification of course but didn't want to post a 2 paragraph comment on all the different things that goes into multiple efforts.

Sarah Todd has started to write off our acquisitions and Butler but the Jazz are winning since all three have gotten minutes.
If you write off a 2nd round pick in their rookie season you have not paid any attention to the NBA. And if you look at the Jazz process for developing players like Royce, Joe, Forrest, Rudy, Niang, etc, writing people off who just got here seems a bit of a stretch as well. I get they are not rookies but the Jazz have been patient in developing folks. Who knows if it works out but much too early to tell.