What's new

Jazz acquire Novak from Raptors

Wasn't Garrett thought to possibly be an asset that could be used in getting picks etc from Chicago if they got Melo?

Maybe this means Utah doesn't think Melo is going to Chicago.

Jazz still have three non-guaranteed contracts to give back in salary dump trades!!!

We are going to not only overpay this pathetic scrub this year, but also next year as well - 3.5 mil wasted. And for what - a 2nd round pick? This makes no sense at all. If we are taking 7 mil worth of garbage on our books, there had better be at least a first round pick involved. Seems like a pretty bad move for DL.

Based on my thread made just a couple of days ago about can't we get a better stretch 4 than Williams...WE JUST DID!

We are going to not only overpay this pathetic scrub this year, but also next year as well - 3.5 mil wasted. And for what - a 2nd round pick? This makes no sense at all. If we are taking 7 mil worth of garbage on our books, there had better be at least a first round pick involved. Seems like a pretty bad move for DL.

What else are we spending the money on? We are in no danger of going over the LT this year.

3.5 M is nothing for roster filling given the 90% salary floor. If Jazz are at floor or just above it, no money was spent for Novak and the second rounder.

Jeremy Evans just went from the 12th man to the 9th

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Great move!! I am very excited. There wasn't any good stretch 4's in free agency. I was afraid we were going to overpay someone and HOPE they can continue to shoot well. This guy is guaranteed to shoot well for us.

Snyder now had Jeremy Evans and Novak who he can decide between to back up Kanter.

If a team goes REALLY athletic and fast at the 4 spot we have Hood or possibly Hayward to play there too. I think we have our rotation now. Just depends on what we do with Hayward.

bth_Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps3e0e5a33.gif

I wonder what this means for us resigning Marvin?

Burke/Exum
Burks
Hayward*/Hood/Novak
Favors/Evans
Kanter/Gobert
It should have no significant bearing on Marvin. Because Marvin is simply a better player and this was a salary dump for Toronto.

I've always like Novak and wish we had him. This is a dynamite pickup for a few reasons:

1. Over the years we've picked up a handful of guys who occasionally hit threes or are chuckers from the three. The last legit, pure three-point shooter(s) we had were Korver and Okur. Before that it was Hornacek and to a lesser extent Stockton. I can't even recall who was before that (if there were any).

2. Novak will be able to play limited minutes. Bringing back Marvin would restrict minutes from other guys.

3. We're acknowledging the three-point line by bringing in a truly one-dimensional player. We've always pressed for guys to be able to bring more to the game than their one talent, which I think is good. Unfortunately, I think we've disregarded the way you can use a one-dimensional player to keep your system running. See the Spurs.

4. Free second round pick.

Now we just need to obtain some assets from Chicago in exchange for taking Boozer and then waive his ***.

I hope we see little to no playing time from Novak. He is a scrub on the wrong side of 30. Yeah, he can hit threes. He's a liability otherwise. At best, maybe he can play in the final seconds from time to time when we need a game-winning three.

I do think he could be good as a locker room presence, if he's willing to act as kind of a shooting coach and be an example for the young guys. You're not getting much here beyond locker room intangibles though.

Novak is a SF that plays no D. Those of you clamoring to see him as a stretch 4 should be looking toward the development of Erik Murphy instead.

Novak could also really help as a shooting "coach" for our young guys. Hood, Hayward (if he's back), Kanter, Burks Exum and Burke could all really benefit to differing degrees.

If Jazz are doing salary dumps for picks again, I would rather have Lin or Boozer and get multiple first rounders.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

If Jazz are doing salary dumps for picks again, I would rather have Lin or Boozer and get multiple first rounders.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Would support either of those.