What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I've come to very sad conclusion that Panda is one of the best Chinese restaurants in the SL Valley. Almost everything else is Americanized Chinese food straight out of the 80s (I know that is also what Panda is) that has the same standards and bland non-offensive flavors they've had since the 80s. Panda is typically pretty fresh if you go to a busy location and the Kung Pao isn't in a sugar sauce. Most of these Chinese restaurants drench almost everything in a heavy sugary sauce.

There is a Chinese place I used to really love. It was Hot Dynasty and they served actual Chinese food, like a hot pepper stew with frogs legs. I liked the Cumin Lamb, Twice Cooked Pork, and Beef in Chili Sauce. But the woman managing it is horrible. It closed and re-opened as CY Noodle House. That was an established place in a smaller unit that completely changed when it moved into the very large space Hot Dynasty was in. The same horrible woman managed it and eventually the service was garbage, the table condiments were grimy as hell and you had to deal with that woman who treated you like she hated you. But for me it was when I realized that based on your appearance they would either automatically give you plastic, round chopsticks and a fork and spoon or just disposable bamboo chopsticks. I'm pretty good with chopsticks but I highly prefer the bamboo ones because it's way easier to grip things with them. I know I could have asked but I was about done with the place anyway and when I realized that even though I was a regular, very regular, who always used the chopsticks I didn't have the correct appearance to not got the "other people" bundle. Now they're called Ume House and the same woman is still in charge so I haven't tried it.
I only order orange chicken so that's how I rate all Chinese food.

Panda is where you go to get chow mein that tastes like charcoal. It’s as Asian as Betos.

My roommates used to get drunk and wake me up at 2am to go to Betos and always offered to buy me a burrito like it was some great deal (because why wouldn’t I want to haul them down to 400 South in the middle of the night than get some sleep for my 8am classes at the U).

I worked at a Dominos for a couple of years and one of my managers loved to put meat on people's pizza he knew were vegan. He would do like one tiny piece. Dude was one of the dumbest people I've ever known.

This made me laugh cause that is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

I've come to very sad conclusion that Panda is one of the best Chinese restaurants in the SL Valley. Almost everything else is Americanized Chinese food straight out of the 80s (I know that is also what Panda is) that has the same standards and bland non-offensive flavors they've had since the 80s. Panda is typically pretty fresh if you go to a busy location and the Kung Pao isn't in a sugar sauce. Most of these Chinese restaurants drench almost everything in a heavy sugary sauce.

There is a Chinese place I used to really love. It was Hot Dynasty and they served actual Chinese food, like a hot pepper stew with frogs legs. I liked the Cumin Lamb, Twice Cooked Pork, and Beef in Chili Sauce. But the woman managing it is horrible. It closed and re-opened as CY Noodle House. That was an established place in a smaller unit that completely changed when it moved into the very large space Hot Dynasty was in. The same horrible woman managed it and eventually the service was garbage, the table condiments were grimy as hell and you had to deal with that woman who treated you like she hated you. But for me it was when I realized that based on your appearance they would either automatically give you plastic, round chopsticks and a fork and spoon or just disposable bamboo chopsticks. I'm pretty good with chopsticks but I highly prefer the bamboo ones because it's way easier to grip things with them. I know I could have asked but I was about done with the place anyway and when I realized that even though I was a regular, very regular, who always used the chopsticks I didn't have the correct appearance to not got the "other people" bundle. Now they're called Ume House and the same woman is still in charge so I haven't tried it.

There was a local place where I used to live that made really good Chinese food. I loved the cashew chicken, sweet and sour shrimp and they put slices of cooked pork in their fried rice.

We need to go to Chick-fil-A together so I can see what your secret is to get them to cook juicy chicken. At work we get it all the time because bosses rave about it, and I'll eat anything if it's free, and I've had maybe 2 or 3 out of countless that haven't been dry as a bone. And did you ask for the extra pickle? I almost always get 1 or 2 unless I ask for extra.
There's a lot of chick FIL a recipes online. It's like a pickle marinade.

Try David's Kitchen. Beef and broccoli is actually tender juicy steak. Not dried out beef. Their General Chu or Tso or whatever they call it is quite good. Pot Stickers are tasty.

Logan chinese restauranta has a variant called tiny spicy chicken which all their chinese restaurants appear to have but I only tried two places as I've passed through. Quite good. I like Black Pearl's from the two places I tried.

I worked at a Dominos for a couple of years and one of my managers loved to put meat on people's pizza he knew were vegan. He would do like one tiny piece. Dude was one of the dumbest people I've ever known.

Technically, a real vegan wouldn't eat cheese, making Domino's Pizza a rather odd choice of cuisine.

Agreed. It is underrated in the sense that very free people use it that often or talk about it but in actuality sits just right in the pecking order because it’s more limited in being able to enhance a meal.
So much sodium at Panda. Even eating their string bean chicken, beef and broccoli and super greens (healthiest items) have enough sodium to kill a Donovan Mitchell trade.

I think the consistency is key at Chick Fil A. But the sandwich does need mayo, sauce, something.

I agree 100% about In and Out. Nothing special except the price point is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

You have to admit, they have some of the most wildly enthusiastic servers you'll ever see. It's like they're from a different era.

Since y'all are talking about food here's where Donovan likes to eat:

"Mitchell: I’ve got a few. I kind of rotate depending on how I'm feeling month to month. Ruth’s Chris is up there, for sure. Cheesecake (Factory). I eat there almost every day. Valter's and Benihana. You can’t go wrong with Benihana."

Try David's Kitchen. Beef and broccoli is actually tender juicy steak. Not dried out beef. Their General Chu or Tso or whatever they call it is quite good. Pot Stickers are tasty.

Logan chinese restauranta has a variant called tiny spicy chicken which all their chinese restaurants appear to have but I only tried two places as I've passed through. Quite good. I like Black Pearl's from the two places I tried.
I was going to David's Kitchen when they were on Highland Drive in the back of a seedy bar that you had to go down some stairs below street level to get to them. Also when they were on the east side of State in the back of a different seedy bar that I want to say was called Tally Whackers. I've only been to their stand alone location a couple times and it's been a long time. I've really been thinking of giving them a try again but I just haven't done it. It'll be sad since I've never been there since David died. In the first two locations he served every table and basically wouldn't let you not get the pot stickers. Then he'd personally mix your dipping sauce at the table for you based on how spicy you said you wanted it.

I was going to David's Kitchen when they were on Highland Drive in the back of a seedy bar that you had to go down some stairs below street level to get to them. Also when they were on the east side of State in the back of a different seedy bar that I want to say was called Tally Whackers. I've only been to their stand alone location a couple times and it's been a long time. I've really been thinking of giving them a try again but I just haven't done it. It'll be sad since I've never been there since David died. In the first two locations he served every table and basically wouldn't let you not get the pot stickers. Then he'd personally mix your dipping sauce at the table for you based on how spicy you said you wanted it.
He would always bring pot stickers without asking :).

I see ppl were talking about breakfast sandwiches pages back. The sausage egg and cheese McMuffin at McDonalds is King IMO and it’s not close.

I used to love the Croissanwich at BK and I’ve had the Wendy’s stuff which have good flavor profiles but all of that is executed it so poorly and sloppily.