What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

I think there are plenty of attainable guys who, with or without Conley, will improve our team in place of Favors. To name a few: Jabari, Niko, Aminu, Gay, maybe even Jamychal Green.
I want Jeremy Grant. Is he available?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I agree, and maybe that's just the fan in me who wants to enjoy the free agency period thinking we have a chance at guys. But I also don't see what leverage the Grizzlies really have to make us do it now.

And while I like the Conley addition, I'm not going to be furious if we don't get him or something. As much as LoPo and others overstate it, there are legitimate flags that would have me going into next year pretty nervous if we went all in on him.
This

According to Steve Kyler, the Grizzlies are looking to clear salary and not take a lot of money back for Conley. They're trying to get off his deal. So taking him into cap space after July 1 would make sense for both Utah and Memphis. It would effectively be the Jazz's free agent strategy.

Their leverage is that they are going to trade him to another team draft day regardless. So we miss out on him and he isnt an option later. That sounds like what they might do. Get the best deal they can for him on draft day. I am guessing they want picks and they want to make the pick.
Why not just get the best deal period rather than on draft day?
Like if the jazz will give them a better offer after the draft then why take the crappier offer on the draft?

I guess they might think the jazz may land one the big fish and then not trade with Memphis?

We just saw the Lakers who are like free agent destination #1 historically opt for the certainty of the AD trade even though they could have had significant cap space... but we think we should pass on the guy with almost the ideal perfect skill set that we need because maybe we can win in free agency. If the Conley deal is there at a reasonable cost... then you absolutely do it without hesitation.
AD is like the biggest fish though. By far. Who could they have gotten who is better by waiting?

Harris greater than Conley. Kemba greater than Conley, brogdon, etc etc.

No one is greater than AD.

Free agents are so unlikely to sign here that’s way too big a risk to take and probably end up with nothing
it's not nothing so long as you sign SOMETHING for which you can use later as assets in a trade. there is a fine line between being overly aggressive/overpay, and overly conservative/underpay for a bunch of G-leaguers/roster fillers that ain't worth a penny

Last edited:
i'd rather see DL signing some MLE role players than getting Conley, at least we can trade those guys if we find them to be mistakes. Once we get Conley we are done. we are stuck

Why? Why would we be stuck? Almost all of our current contracts expire at the same time as Conley's. Yes, we will have to pay Rudy and Donovan. But the cap will also be higher. And there's a good chance that certain changes to the supermax could be made before the Rudy talks come up. We will have plenty of maneuverability. Oh and Conley could be traded as well if it didn't work for whatever reason.

Why? Why would we be stuck? Almost all of our current contracts expire at the same time as Conley's. Yes, we will have to pay Rudy and Donovan. But the cap will also be higher. And there's a good chance that certain changes to the supermax could be made before the Rudy talks come up. We will have plenty of maneuverability. Oh and Conley could be traded as well if it didn't work for whatever reason.

And you can over pay your own guys and go into the tax.

There are always ways to make roster changes. Unless you're the Hornets and vastly overpay every fringe NBA player you see. Right Rich Cho?

we are STUCK in the sense that we'll be limited in acquiring any major supporting cast to Conley/Mitchell/Rudy RIGHT NOW have we decided to eat up Conley's 30mil contract. unless you do think the core of Mitchell/Conley/Rudy +Ingles/Crowder/Royce + a bunch of under-average roster fillers are all it takes for us to advance to the next stage, which most of us would highly doubt that. if that is the case, it'd be giving up future assets for another 2 year rental of a PG, which DL has attempted twice already. Why not try something different this time instead of, you know, treading water?

Porzingis + Doncic at least give their fans a hope of them going somewhere, more so than Conley would give us.

The Mavs are in an entirely different place than us. They're rebuilding. Porzingis and Doncic are their Mitchell and Gobert. It's what they add to those two guys is what really matters. Those moves that take them up a tier or not. When healthy, they're fighting for a playoff spot. But a title?

The Jazz have an opportunity to put together a real run with more talent at PG. We're several made wide open threes from having a competitive series with the Rockets and possibly a series win depending on luck and bounce of the ball, which every championship team needs.

Porzingis will be in jail soon dude.

Matthews and then Jordan have sucked balls for them.
1, Porzingis ain't going to jail.

2, matthews/jordan didn't work out but without signing them in the first place, it wouldn't give them the assets to acquire someone like Porzingis. now imagine us trading Neto or Niang to get a star in Porzingis lol

1, Porzingis ain't going to jail.

2, matthews/jordan didn't work out but without signing them in the first place, it wouldn't give them the assets to acquire someone like Porzingis. now imagine us trading Neto or Niang to get a star in Porzingis lol

not even close to the same thing.

Zinga either will be in jail, or be suspect with his dodgy knee

Porzingis + Doncic at least give their fans a hope of them going somewhere, more so than Conley would give us.

I'll take Donovan, Rudy and Conley over Porzingis and Doncic all day long.