What's new

Jazz front runner for Conley

If we have to give up two first round picks, are you still in on Conley? I think that’s what it’s going to take.

Mitchell and Gobert are really our only desirable trade assets, and they aren’t going anywhere. I just don’t think our touchable young players will move the needle for Memphis. Exum died years ago, Bradley is ***, and Grayson is... yeah.

The Mavs are in an entirely different place than us. They're rebuilding. Porzingis and Doncic are their Mitchell and Gobert. It's what they add to those two guys is what really matters. Those moves that take them up a tier or not. When healthy, they're fighting for a playoff spot. But a title?

The Jazz have an opportunity to put together a real run with more talent at PG. We're several made wide open threes from having a competitive series with the Rockets and possibly a series win depending on luck and bounce of the ball, which every championship team needs.
this is not where i'm going with though. what i'm trying to say is that acquiring players in free agency MATTERS.

some people here are acting like it is the end of the world if we don't get someone like KD, Kawhi, Klay, etc.

what about acquiring some valuable role players who address this team's needs?

what about accumulating assets to wait for the better trade opportunities, instead of going into the full PANIC mode of burning future assets to overpay for some high-risk/non-regrettable options that aren't really going to take us to the next step?

If we have to give up two first round picks, are you still in on Conley? I think that’s what it’s going to take.

Mitchell and Gobert are really our only desirable trade assets, and they aren’t going anywhere. I just don’t think our touchable young players will move the needle for Memphis. Exum died years ago, Bradley is ***, and Grayson is... yeah.
Two picks for Conley vs. one for Love.

and there is a reason for that.

and there is a reason for that.

The reason is that our drafts over the last few years have been either home runs or strikeouts. Rodney Hood was a single or a double — he’s about the only one that wasn’t really fantastic but also wasn’t complete ***.

Bradley, Korver, Neto, this year's first and Allen for Conley. They get some youngsters and can waive Korver and have three young first round picks in Allen, Bradley and this year's. That also dumps Conley's contract on the Jazz.

The reason is that our drafts over the last few years have been either home runs or strikeouts. Rodney Hood was a single or a double — he’s about the only one that wasn’t really fantastic but also wasn’t complete ***.
the reason I said previously. "there is a fine line between being overly aggressive/overpay, and overly conservative/underpay for a bunch of G-leaguers/roster fillers that ain't worth a penny"

people acting like if we don't get someone like KD, Klay or Kawhi, it is the end of the world. it's never like that for a small-market team like us.

Who would've imagined getting Brook Lopez at 3mil per would've had such a huge impact on Bucks season last summer?

Who would've imagined getting DeAndre Jordan would've help landed Dallas a star in Unicorn?

you can't win if you don't play. In that sense, getting someone like Conley could've cause us to forfeit in the same way as signing some worthless G-leaguers like Neto or Niang.

Last edited:
Tony Jones and a Memphis beat writer did a back and forth in The Athletic

TJ:
It’s a little bit more difficult than it was at the trade deadline because at the trade deadline the Jazz had offered dollar-to-dollar expirings to offer Memphis cap relief. That pathway is a little bit harder now, a little bit more difficult. I think the framework of the deal at the end of the day will certainly include a first-round pick this year from the Jazz. It could include an additional first-round pick. I reported on Twitter that currently it doesn’t include Derrick Favors. That can change, I think that’s fluid. In terms of what Memphis wants in terms of good young guys or guys with upside to be an All-Star, the only person that qualifies for it is Donovan Mitchell. And obviously, the Jazz aren’t going to put Donovan Mitchell in this deal. If you’re the Jazz, you offer the assets and the picks, you offer the ability to give cap relief and to jumpstart a rebuild. But there’s a little more pressure on Memphis in the fact that Ja Morant is the second-best player on this board and it’s going to be tough for the Grizzlies to pass up a dynamic guard in the draft like Morant.

Sankofa II: You touched on this, but the parameters of a Conley-to-Utah deal have changed just based on how Utah can no longer include Ricky Rubio in a potential deal. Looking at the situation with Golden State and the Lakers trading for Anthony Davis, it appears that the league is trying to capitalize on the fact that the race for the championship is wide open next season. Will that make it tougher for Utah to pull off the deal now that there’s potentially more competition?

Jones: Yeah, and that’s the thing. You’ve gone through half-a-decade where the window of the NBA extended to two-or-three teams. And now that window is opening for a lot of teams and a lot of teams want to capitalize. Utah is in a good position. Donovan Mitchell is 23 years old. Rudy Gobert will be 27-years-old next week. Rudy Gobert has already entered his prime. Donovan Mitchell is just now entering his prime. And I think the Jazz know that if they can add a dynamic third presence, they have a chance to be really good. What Conley does for the Jazz is make them much, much better offensively. In a playoff scenario, he can beat people off the dribble and he can score in the half court. You do that without sacrificing any of the elite defense that the Jazz have become known for in the Quin Snyder era. If the Jazz can be one of the top five defensive teams in the league and one of the top 10 offensively, which is not outside of the realm of possibility with Conley, you can do the math. They’re going to win a lot of ball games, they’re going to have a good seed in the playoffs and they’re going to have a chance to make a run.

we are STUCK in the sense that we'll be limited in acquiring any major supporting cast to Conley/Mitchell/Rudy RIGHT NOW have we decided to eat up Conley's 30mil contract. unless you do think the core of Mitchell/Conley/Rudy +Ingles/Crowder/Royce + a bunch of under-average roster fillers are all it takes for us to advance to the next stage, which most of us would highly doubt that. if that is the case, it'd be giving up future assets for another 2 year rental of a PG, which DL has attempted twice already. Why not try something different this time instead of, you know, treading water?

The difference is that Conley is much better than Hill or Rubio. He doesn't make us a title favorite, no. But he's good enough to put us into the WCF/Finals mix. That's where we need to be. Because if you're there you have a chance to win it all if things fall your way. Look at Toronto. They weren't favorites. They weren't even favorites in their own conference. But they just had a championship parade because they made moves to put them in the mix and had a few things fall their way. I know they have Kawhi and we don't. The hope has to be that Donovan is our Kawhi and do those types of things for us. Because realistically we probably won't be able to trade for top 5 NBA player. It's going to require a little luck no matter what we do. But if we don't take that step to get in the mix we'll never have a chance. It's time to take that step and stop punting down the road. Especially with Rudy in his prime and the West wide open for the taking.

The difference is that Conley is much better than Hill or Rubio. He doesn't make us a title favorite, no. But he's good enough to put us into the WCF/Finals mix. That's where we need to be. Because if you're there you have a chance to win it all if things fall your way. Look at Toronto. They weren't favorites. They weren't even favorites in their own conference. But they just had a championship parade because they made moves to put them in the mix and had a few things fall their way. I know they have Kawhi and we don't. The hope has to be that Donovan is our Kawhi and do those types of things for us. Because realistically we probably won't be able to trade for top 5 NBA player. It's going to require a little luck no matter what we do. But if we don't take that step to get in the mix we'll never have a chance. It's time to take that step and stop punting down the road. Especially with Rudy in his prime and the West wide open for the taking.
there is zero comparison between Conley and Kawhi. none of us would've even had any argument if we are trading for someone of Kawhi's caliber. But Conley isn't. Not even close

there is zero comparison between Conley and Kawhi. none of us would've even had any argument if we are trading for someone of Kawhi's caliber. But Conley isn't. Not even close

I wasn't comparing Kawhi and Conley. I was using Toronto as an example of how making moves to get into the mix at the top of the league gives you a chance and that's what Conley would provide the Jazz. Kawhi wasn't even their only move.

Sure but I honestly would be ok with ending up with nothing if the front office were to let us know that they tried to get this guy and that guy etc.

We always say swing for the fences. If they do that and miss but I know that they did in fact swing for the fences, then I can live with that

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

but unrealistic wild swings in the dark that don't succeed when you could've had a sure thing ?? And then have to trade for Kevin Love ??

TY Andy

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/06/17/mike-conley-qa-how-utah/

So, for example, the Jazz could use the $13.8 million in cap space they have by only losing Rubio, then trade away an additional $20 million or so in salary to have room to get Conley. Or, they can waive other players to gain more cap space, then they’d have to trade even less.

That might be a path to keeping Favors, and perhaps even Exum. Here’s one path that does both, for example: the Jazz could waive Neto, waive and stretch Korver, and then trade Crowder, Allen, and the No. 23 pick for Conley. It fits — just barely. Such a deal would also give Memphis a pick, a young player, and an asset in Crowder they can either play or forward to a contending team later.

the reason I said previously. "there is a fine line between being overly aggressive/overpay, and overly conservative/underpay for a bunch of G-leaguers/roster fillers that ain't worth a penny"

In addition to being conservative, the FO seems to have a tendency to overvalue our own guys. Exum and Fav might be seen as positive trade assets if they weren’t being paid twice what they are worth.

Looking at the guys on the roster that could realistically be traded, I’m maybe interested in O’Neale on his cheap deal and maybe Crowder on his cheap deal. That’s about it.

It’s gonna take two first rounders if it gets done.

being a hooker kinda infers having some extra special skills that have been honed over years of application and can provide something a little extra tho ???
your-first-name-your-last-name-your-hooker-name-because-14602838.png

it requires luck, yes. but like i said, we can't win if we don't play. we are not putting ourselves in a good position for any future improvements through trade talks. all due to us not being active/accumulating trade assets through free agency markets. DL is doing us the complete opposite right now.

imagine us putting together a package for someone like Porzingis, is there anyone we can realistically put on a table so both parties will be happy with?

players we have are either too valuable for us to give up, or too underwhelming to raise other teams' interests.

how to get players that we as jazzfans will feel happy to let go, while also being good enough to raise other teams' interests?

through free agency.

In addition to being conservative, the FO seems to have a tendency to overvalue our own guys. Exum and Fav might be seen as positive trade assets if they weren’t being paid twice what they are worth.

Looking at the guys on the roster that could realistically be traded, I’m maybe interested in O’Neale on his cheap deal and maybe Crowder on his cheap deal. That’s about it.

It’s gonna take two first rounders if it gets done.
we as an organization are way too one-dimensional in terms of free agency moves.

"we'll sign Niang/Thabo/Udoh if we don't get KD."

it is never like that. it's not how free agency works.

Imagine now if we signed someone like Randle or Brook Lopez last summer, our season could've been a whole lot different. Heck, even if both of them suck balls, we could've used them to outbid Mavs for Porzingis, EASILY

Last edited: