What's new

Jazz, George Hill taking contract talks down to wire

You have no idea what was offered. None of us do. It could have been 3/50.

That's correct but I'm pretty good at predicting what guys will get and if that was the offer it would have been straight insulting or show a complete lack of awareness.

Just reading the tea leaves here... the statement was he could get a much better contract than the one they could offer...

I think the Jazz are smart enough so say that a difference of a couple million per year won't be a big deal. I think the Jazz offered the max and Hill thinks free agency is more lucrative and is willing to leave to make it happen.

If we offered less than the max we made a mistake. If we low balled him it's an even bigger mistake and we may have pissed him off.

Barring an injury I set the over under on what he will get at 4/95 M

Hoping X really really shows us something the rest of the year. Would be nice to be excited about Dante all summer if hill walks.

He has taken the step of working guys that are inferior but he was awful against Wall which was understandable. I think a playoff series against Chris Paul may mentally destroy him... not that their playing time will line up.

Well at least we know Hill will be motivated to perform well for the rest of the season so he can get a good contract.

DL doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who makes an insulting offer. If I were to bet, I'd say the sticking point was on the number of years.

That's correct but I'm pretty good at predicting what guys will get and if that was the offer it would have been straight insulting or show a complete lack of awareness.

Just reading the tea leaves here... the statement was he could get a much better contract than the one they could offer...

I think the Jazz are smart enough so say that a difference of a couple million per year won't be a big deal. I think the Jazz offered the max and Hill thinks free agency is more lucrative and is willing to leave to make it happen.

If we offered less than the max we made a mistake. If we low balled him it's an even bigger mistake and we may have pissed him off.

I agree. The likelihood is that Hill thinks his most lucrative option is to wait for free agency. That was what was being reported today and it coincides with what we were hearing the day the Jazz traded for him when we heard he wasn't interested in signing an extension. I don't think DL would low ball him.

If DL offered him MAX available money, 4yr 88m, then ; Hill has no intention of signing with Utah, he has very little confidence in how good he will be 3 years from now, or he is looking for something north of 4yr 100m. Remember he'd be giving up 13.5 million this season.

Hill turns 31 in May. I wouldn't do a four year contract and a three year contract makes me nervous. When point guards fall off, they go fast.

Hill turns 31 in May. I wouldn't do a four year contract and a three year contract makes me nervous. When point guards fall off, they go fast.

Yep. And he's had an injury history that makes me even more nervous. Given how the team is presently constructed and looking at the future cap situation, signing a 31 year old Hill at 20-25 mill per year for 3/4 years is not something I'm interested in.

If DL offered him MAX available money, 4yr 88m, then ; Hill has no intention of signing with Utah, he has very little confidence in how good he will be 3 years from now, or he is looking for something north of 4yr 100m. Remember he'd be giving up 13.5 million this season.

Most we could offer was 3 for 88M.

An agent probably convinced him he could get 4/110-120... I think he gets 4/90-100. Jazz may have not gone all the way to the max, but it makes no sense to me if they didn't. If it was 3/80 or something why risk it? For a couple million in cap space?

We are 25-9 with Hill... 12-13 without. Outside of Hayward and Gobert he has by far the greatest impact on wins and loses. It might be because Exum and Mack are the replacements.

Looking at the environment... Lowry, Paul, Holiday get paid and stay put... Hill will be last/best option... I think he gets 4/100. If we offered 3/88 and he said no then that is on him... if we went 3/75-80 then we made a mistake and it will either cost us in the pocket book or on the court or both.

Yep. And he's had an injury history that makes me even more nervous. Given how the team is presently constructed and looking at the future cap situation, signing a 31 year old Hill at 20-25 mill per year for 3/4 years is not something I'm interested in.

The reality is, not paying Hill likely means Hayward walks, and we don't attract anybody remotely as good as either of those two guys with our newfound cap space.

I'd personally rather trade Burks and Favors for picks and cheaper/worse replacement parts if it is the difference between keeping or losing Hill. We will have to hit on some picks to make this work going forward... get another bite at the apple.

I think some assume we can get another guy who is cheaper than Hill who replaces most of what he brings... He is so unique in that he doesn't need to dominate the ball to be effective and offers position versatility that is hard to find.

The reality is, not paying Hill likely means Hayward walks, and we don't attract anybody remotely as good as either of those two guys with our newfound cap space.

I wouldn't say likely but it hurts us for sure. Is it 5-10% less likely? That I don't know.

I disagree, the future of the Jazz are Rudy, Hood, Exum and hopefully Hayward. The Jazz have many draft picks and there is the free agency.

Hayward is the cheapest guy on the team. He's all about the money and the Jazz can offer him more than other team. And I can't imagine Hayward walking away from Gobert. Rudy is elite and Hayward knows the Jazz are building something special. I don't think it's automatic that Hayward walks if we don't keep Hill.

I don't think Hayward's decision is dependent on the Jazz keeping other guys. I think it's more dependent on whether or not he trusts the FO's vision for the teams future. And I believe he does trust the FO. The Jazz will offer him max money and I think he will stay.

Truehoop podcast with Bontemps with fairly enlightening... Highlights:

Thinks Holiday and Hill both get max or close.

Sounds as if we pushed all the chips to the middle of the table and it wasn't enough.

Says the Jazz will not be outbid on Hill.

Windhorst also continues to be an absolute tool when it comes to the Jazz. His contributions:

Is Hayward worth the max? Is it a Kirilenko situation? Just downplayed how good he is. Has consistently been pretty down on the Jazz dating to pre-season. He is kind of the worst... and everyone killed him for 10-15 minutes... enjoyable.

Truehoop podcast with Bontemps with fairly enlightening... Highlights:

Thinks Holiday and Hill both get max or close.

Sounds as if we pushed all the chips to the middle of the table and it wasn't enough.

Says the Jazz will not be outbid on Hill.

Windhorst also continues to be an absolute tool when it comes to the Jazz. His contributions:

Is Hayward worth the max? Is it a Kirilenko situation? Just downplayed how good he is. Has consistently been pretty down on the Jazz dating to pre-season. He is kind of the worst... and everyone killed him for 10-15 minutes... enjoyable.

Windhorst is the worst