What's new

Jazz, George Hill taking contract talks down to wire

Most we could offer was 3 for 88M.

An agent probably convinced him he could get 4/110-120... I think he gets 4/90-100. Jazz may have not gone all the way to the max, but it makes no sense to me if they didn't. If it was 3/80 or something why risk it? For a couple million in cap space?

We are 25-9 with Hill... 12-13 without. Outside of Hayward and Gobert he has by far the greatest impact on wins and loses. It might be because Exum and Mack are the replacements.

Looking at the environment... Lowry, Paul, Holiday get paid and stay put... Hill will be last/best option... I think he gets 4/100. If we offered 3/88 and he said no then that is on him... if we went 3/75-80 then we made a mistake and it will either cost us in the pocket book or on the court or both.
You forgot Teague.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I imagine hill and/or favors knew the cap space was for them, and especially their agents. I would think you would let the team know it's not happening so they could use the cap space elsewhere as a courtesy.

We don't have even close to enough info to know how it went. It really sucks we didn't get to front load.

honestly the way I see it
1/ The Jazz will offer Hayward the full max, no discussing or arguing or debating, they will just offer him everything he could expect.
2/ The Jazz offered the current possible max for an extension to Hill, if it fails they will offer him a bit more but not much more in the summer because Hill paid 30mils per year age 34 is not a winning proposition.

They know that youth is important. Hill is great for this team, but if we want to talk about real foundation pieces for the Jazz there are only 2 at this stage : Rudy and Hayward. These are the 2 founding stones upon which the rest is built. losing Hill would suck but it's not as important as Hayward who is key along Rudy.

Lets say Hayward and Hill walk. That leaves them with 9 players on contract for next season for a total of ~$56MM(with the option for Diaw at 7.5)...

Lots of value would be wasted but it's not exactly a meltdown situation --- Like I've been saying they can still make the playoffs if prudent reactionary moves are made..

Thats $50MM in wiggle room...

Almost half the cap and there's tons of quality players in those 9...

There's also 2 cheap 1sts and the 2nds... So there's tons of opportunity.. They could replace those 2 with 3 good players given the $$'s being bandied about..

Lets say;

Jeff Teague-JaMychal Green(Restricted)-Gallinari

SF Rodions Kurucs(1st) - PG/SG Andrew Jones(1st) - PF Moritz Wagner (2nd) - CG Allonzo Trier (2nd)

PG - Teague, Exum, Jones/Neto/Burks
SG - Hood, Burks, Trier/Jones/Exum
SF - Gallinari, Johnson, Kurucs
PF - Favors, Green, Lyles, (Wagner)
C - Gobert, Favors, Bolomboy

Is that not a playoff roster????????????

Hayward will not walk. His situation is so much more simpler than Hill's. He will be offered the full hometown megamax and will take it.

Hayward will not walk. His situation is so much more simpler than Hill's.
Do you think he's even going to listen to other offers? Have ya heard some of the lengths teams go to at 12:01 the first day of free agency to get an audience with a max $$ UFA in their late 20's like Hayward???

Owners will certainly pitch him on marketing opportunities and all sorts of ways to make more $$, like the DeAndre story in Dallas..

Ofc this pitch will also point out that Utah isn't the best spot for him to be marketed from...

It's difficult for me to imagine him not granting his college coach and Boston an audience..

What if the Warriors lose because of the Durant injury and then pitch him on taking a paycut 1/yr+ a player option deal (along with KD and Steph) to secure the chip in 2018????
He will be offered the full hometown megamax and will take it.

do you know fridays winning Mega Millions #'s too?

I might be wrong, but really I don't see how Hayward goes away from the current situation. We will see I suppose, what do I know really...

It's funny that it was brought up because I was thinking about the what ifs if Hayward and Hill both left. I'm not as worried about Hill leaving though. The PG crop in FA is pretty good and we have Exum who I still have a lot of faith in. Gobert is locked up for 5 years and that's the most important for this team. Hayward getting locked up for 5 years would be perfect. After that we can get pieces to fill in for other players if they leave.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Lets say Hayward and Hill walk. That leaves them with 9 players on contract for next season for a total of ~$56MM(with the option for Diaw at 7.5)...

Lots of value would be wasted but it's not exactly a meltdown situation --- Like I've been saying they can still make the playoffs if prudent reactionary moves are made..

Thats $50MM in wiggle room...

Almost half the cap and there's tons of quality players in those 9...

There's also 2 cheap 1sts and the 2nds... So there's tons of opportunity.. They could replace those 2 with 3 good players given the $$'s being bandied about..

Lets say;

Jeff Teague-JaMychal Green(Restricted)-Gallinari

SF Rodions Kurucs(1st) - PG/SG Andrew Jones(1st) - PF Moritz Wagner (2nd) - CG Allonzo Trier (2nd)

PG - Teague, Exum, Jones/Neto/Burks
SG - Hood, Burks, Trier/Jones/Exum
SF - Gallinari, Johnson, Kurucs
PF - Favors, Green, Lyles, (Wagner)
C - Gobert, Favors, Bolomboy

Is that not a playoff roster????????????
This post sucks.

Why is it Chicken Little? I think it's been reported that his decision will come down to Utah or Boston? It's not a little occurrence to have Hill vs. Exum as the starting PG. Boston is already a contender in the East. Hayward might put them on equal footing to Cleveland.

If Hill leaves, Utah potentially takes a huge step backwards at PG, which means a step backwards in the standings. It's something I bet Hayward will consider. Wouldn't you in his position?
I apologize man, I mixed you up with St8line and his rants and now feel stupid. Ignore me.

Sent from my XT1575 using JazzFanz mobile app

Hill has said constantly he wants to be settled, the last thing he wants is to spend his remaining years in an uncertain situation, I believe he is at the age where he would like to see out the rest of his career in the one place. Utah is a perfect fit for Hill and vise versa, he is the perfect mentor for Dante and the FO knows this and would be willing to pay a little extra just for this but not to the point where it breaks the bank and jeopardizes their future.

I don't see Hill risking being bounced around the league (if things go south) for an extra $4-5Mil/yr. If he signs with Utah you can all but guarantee he retires here because even if he were to get injured (worst case) the team won't move him because of what he can offer Dante.

In what world has Jrue been more reliable health-wise?

Was referring to this year. And Jrue's health isn't something that I see as posing long-term ramifications. Before the Cousins trade the stats he was putting up were very good. He only missed games this year because of his wife, he's shown zero signs of lack of health.

If they're both fetching similar values, I will choose Jrue over George every time.

Was referring to this year. And Jrue's health isn't something that I see as posing long-term ramifications. Before the Cousins trade the stats he was putting up were very good. He only missed games this year because of his wife, he's shown zero signs of lack of health.

If they're both fetching similar values, I will choose Jrue over George every time.
I don't really know Jrue that well. You think he'd fit in and provide some of the same things Hill brings?

Sent from my XT1575 using JazzFanz mobile app

This post sucks.

Thats a playoff team tho.. unless it gets obliterated with injuries... Do you dispute that??

There's easily thousands of variations given all that wiggle-room that I'd vouch for too.. Thats how much flexibility there'd be... It really doesn't suck.. JaMychal Green is a pipe-dream scenario RFA pickup. U can't convince me he's not a perfect fit..

The point of the post is certainly not that Gallinari's better than Hayward. It's price dependent.

The point is there's quality/value/talent enough to make the playoffs with

Gobert - 4 yrUFA
Favors - 1yrUFA
Burks - 2yrUFA
Johnson - 1yrUFA
Exum - 1yrRFA
Lyles - 2yrRFA
Hood - 1yrRFA
Neto - 1yrUFA
Bolomboy - 2yrUFA

+ some good signings and finding a few good players with the 4 1st rd picks the next 2 drafts.. I haven't crunched the #'s but the teams age would be trending sharply back down towards 25..

Ideally they'd get players like Gallo(or lets say Rudy Gay) and Teague(Jrue) on 2 year deals with options for the 3rd.. 4 years for Green is safe. Patty Mills I'd sign for 4 too. Ingles 4,he didn't make that scenario but should be a super-high priority if Hayward walks.