What's new

Jazz, George Hill taking contract talks down to wire

Why do people keep saying Taurean Prince?

That's the guy Atlanta wanted. Had we kept the pick, we would have certainly picked a different player. We could have even traded out of the 2016 draft and into the 2017 draft. (and got another Vet PG in FA instead of Hill)

I think it's too easy to cherry pick someone later even though they weren't considered there. Honestly if the guys actually discussed for the pick that were available the guy I like most now is Skal.

Hernangomez is the guy I'd probably take with hindsight but I wasn't even thinking of him for us at all. It was a worthwhile shot. If we don't have Hill we probably still make the playoffs but we didn't know the bottom of the west would turn to poop.

I think it's too easy to cherry pick someone later even though they weren't considered there. Honestly if the guys actually discussed for the pick that were available the guy I like most now is Skal.

Hernangomez is the guy I'd probably take with hindsight but I wasn't even thinking of him for us at all. It was a worthwhile shot. If we don't have Hill we probably still make the playoffs but we didn't know the bottom of the west would turn to poop.

I know it's cherry picking. But people keep saying 'Taurean Prince, Taurean Prince'. He's the guy Atlanta pick, not us.

Well, if Gordon is worth Max money then he should at least be able to take this team to a top seed by his skill set. If he doesn't have the next level ability in him it would be better to try to get the Boston pick to bring in a real star to pair with Gobert.
Lulz. How many titles did MJ win before he had a supporting cast? How about Lebron in his first stint with Cleveland. No ONE player (or even two) can carry a team to a title.

And, mr. brain dead, how would we be getting the Boston pick? Hayward will be an unrestricted FA. Jazz don't get a thing, other than cap space if he leaves.

Stifle, I like you man but your chicken little **** with Hayward for the last few months is grating. Hayward is grown man and his decision to stay isn't going to flip on a dime for every little occurrence. If he was a jazzfanz member I'm about 99% confident he'd be the most rational and stable person here.

Hopefully we get more information but I think it was Hills decision not ours. I think we pushed most if not all of what we had in the middle and it just wasn't enough.

Hopefully we get more information but I think it was Hills decision not ours. I think we pushed most if not all of what we had in the middle and it just wasn't enough.

Doubtful. He'd have signed if they had offered all that they could. Why would he engage in talks if he had no interest in what he knew was the max that they could extend him for. The FO probably low balled him.

Doubtful. He'd have signed if they had offered all that they could. Why would he engage in talks if he had no interest in what he knew was the max that they could extend him for. The FO probably low balled him.

I had a theory I laid out somewhere, but I think it's some agent BS. Supposedly he was looking for a new agent or in between a month or two ago. I wonder if he went in just to start the conversation and the agent has him convinced he will get more. And the agent may be on a fee basis not commission basis...

I just can't see the Jazz thinking the difference in what the can offer and what he will get on the open market is so different that they'd risk it. I mean 4M of the contract would basically be free because of the floor.

I would think the value of certainty would be huge when you are walking into negotiations with Hayward.

You may be right though... DL seems unwavering on his belief in Dante... maybe he thinks he will pass up Hill in a year or two... I don't think he will... ever. Would love to be wrong though.

The report was the agent declined because he though he could get better offers in FA.

Right I just don't know if is a can't offer more issue or won't offer more issue.

I think most on the board will likely lose their minds when they see what Hill will get.

I'd do 4/80... 4/120 is crazy... he likely gets 4/100 and I'd be scared if I was the Jazz.

I'm also not a big believer in Exum... has shown some stuff lately but against top level guys he still looks scared and that is who I am hoping we can compete against.
Good post

Stifle, I like you man but your chicken little **** with Hayward for the last few months is grating. Hayward is grown man and his decision to stay isn't going to flip on a dime for every little occurrence. If he was a jazzfanz member I'm about 99% confident he'd be the most rational and stable person here.

Why is it Chicken Little? I think it's been reported that his decision will come down to Utah or Boston? It's not a little occurrence to have Hill vs. Exum as the starting PG. Boston is already a contender in the East. Hayward might put them on equal footing to Cleveland.

If Hill leaves, Utah potentially takes a huge step backwards at PG, which means a step backwards in the standings. It's something I bet Hayward will consider. Wouldn't you in his position?

I like loowawaau or whatever. He has sucked

I like loowawaau or whatever. He has sucked

Yeah he was going to be awesome... I thought. Still might.

I really liked wade baldwin and he's been dog poop. Never know but I thought he'd be an okay 8-10 minute guy a night.

This year's rookie class is awful.

I'm just going to assume he looked at 3/88 right now and said he thinks he can get at least 4/90... maybe 4/120 and he walked.

I'm going to assume DL laid it all out there and Hill balked. It's the only thing that makes sense to me on this... just not sure why they'd discuss it if the max we could give isn't enough.

3/88 is really 3/84 in real dollars as we have to pay the 4.2 to get to the floor anyway. Maybe this was one of those setup discussions for the summer.

You have no idea what was offered. None of us do. It could have been 3/50.

As far as the 2016 re-draft convo is concerned I'm still gonna say Ivica Zubac looks like the player with the most upside.

Hernangomez would've been EXCELLENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEiobUL0fyI
I do like the Skal idea. There's a few candidates, many players who are sure to be much improved after their first offseason as a pro..

For now I'd probably take Caris LeVert over Taurean Prince. He's been better than his #'s would indicate, a solid(lead)defender. Papagiannis is actually pretty high on the list.

Now that many months have passed is draft it is easier for me to see why they didn't exactly value the pick, if C's might have been the strength on the board with Zubac and Papagiannis ---- No doubt that Hernangomez is a SOLID contributor this year tho..

I think lineups such as Burks-Ingles-Hayward are viable so I was always apt to think Hill wasn't worth the cost.

To put it bluntly when your picking 12, even in a bad draft that means there's usually gonna be some good players overlooked in the process, so it's worth examination -- it's early tho..

I wonder if Dante's performance last month had DL drop his final offer by about 10%. Enough to cause Hill to test the market.

Hoping X really really shows us something the rest of the year. Would be nice to be excited about Dante all summer if hill walks.