What's new

Jazz - Nuggets: Round 1

Best Jazz draft picks of the decade are Mitchell and Gobert and Denver drafted both of them. Just two more in a ****ing bounty of successful picks for them. I’m so jealous.

Should be entertaining. I am glad we play Denver instead of Houston or OKC but Denver should be the favorite.

The Jazz are better coached and have more continuity at the moment, due to Denver's injuries. Jazz share the ball and now shoot 3s at a volume comparable to Dallas, but they make a higher percentage. They also they do a better job of scoring at the rim than Dallas. Mitchell and Clarkson are dangerous (if slightly streaky) scorers who will attack Jamal Murray and Monte Morris. Conley's been good for 20p/7a in the bubble. Ingles has been very comfortable as a primary initiator and he'll be guarded by MPJ, who isn't a disruptive defender at this stage. Jazz will need to get some quality rotation minutes from Tony Bradley, Miye Oni and Jarrell Brantley, but this is doable.

Jazz need to contain Jokic by turning him into a disproportionately mid-range and deep-range shooter, and by making him give up the ball early in the shotclock. They need to make life difficult for Murray and force him to shoot contested mid-range shots. They also need to hold their own on the defensive boards.

If Will Barton and Gary Harris don't return, Denver will be missing two of its best perimeter defenders.

Jazz in 6.

We couldn't ask for a much better matchup in some ways, but still we will need to be able to defend as a team if we are expected to at least make it an interesting series, let alone win it.

Candidly, I think DEN wanted us as well. A lot of teams would rather see our short handed bunch vs. play DAL.

That's true. They wanted to avoid Dallas. Problem is the Jazz are better than Dallas. The Jazz shoot just as many 3s, they make more of them, and they play defense too.

I think that people tend to underestimate Denver here. They have a strong, deep team. Even last game when we shot exceptionally from 3 they still managed to beat us. But I still think it's the most favorable matchup we could get now. First of all because the officiating should be fair, Nuggets don't have any NBA favourite pet. Gobert has usually handled Jokic pretty well. They may also miss some players or they may be a bit rusty just returning to play. I am not confident but I can see us winning this series. This is also clearly much more favorable than it would be outside the bubble as Nuggets are very difficult to beat in Denver and this may go to 7 games.

I don't want to harp on this on every game thread, so I'll go ahead and say it:

If the refs call Jokic on moving screens, then we win this series in 4 or 5 games. If they allow him to slide all over the place side to side a la Tim Duncan, then we don't stand a chance in this series. The refs have to keep him at least semi honest on his screens. If that happens, I like how we match up.

If the refs call Jokic on moving screens, then we win this series in 4 or 5 games. If they allow him to slide all over the place side to side a la Tim Duncan, then we don't stand a chance in this series. The refs have to keep him at least semi honest on his screens. If that happens, I like how we match up.
Gobert isn't exactly a statue while setting screens. This seems like a silly thing to make or break the series considering Denver could say the exact same thing about Gobert.

I hope the refs are subdued for both teams. Let them play.

Lol

What’s the Mike Conley situation, exactly? When does he leave the team to join his wife for the birth?