What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Joe is move-able, he’s an expiring contract next season, he’s also still a decent player. Teams looking for expiring contracts, or another role player would be interested in Joe and his contract.

I never would've thought the Jazz would ever trade Joe but now I'm really starting to wonder. It feels like Locke has talked about possibly trading him a few times since the season ended, he even spent a huge part of his latest show discussing possible players we could get in return for him. I've also heard Jazz writer for the Deseret News Sarah Todd suggest that the Jazz may get rid of him or Favors two or three different times recently during radio interviews. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe members of the Jazz media are hearing rumors that he could be dealt.

I personally think because he's played here his whole career here and been such an important part of the team both on and off the court these past few years and been so loyal to the Jazz that he deserves to retire a Jazzman. But I'm biased because he's one of my favorite Jazz players of all time.

Last edited:
The Jazz have no cap space, what exactly do you propose?
We trade two of Clarkson, Conley, Bojan and Favors. If he wants to make more than Atlanta is willing to spend, they get something rather than nothing.

Its highly unlikely but- Atlanta would not want to match and he would have to really want to come to us.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
I never would've thought the Jazz would ever trade Joe but now I'm really starting to wonder. It feels like Locke has talked about possibly trading him a few times since the season ended, he even spent a huge part of his latest show discussing possible players we could get in return for him. I've also heard Jazz writer for the Deseret News Sarah Todd suggest that the Jazz may get rid of him or Favors two or three different times recently during radio interviews. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe members of the Jazz media are hearing rumors that he could be dealt.

I personally think because he's played here his whole career here and been such an important part of the team both on and off the court these past few years and been so loyal to the Jazz that he deserves to retire a Jazzman. But I'm biased because he's one of my favorite Jazz players of all time.
Sort of like Fredman?

We trade two of Clarkson, Conley, Bojan and Favors. If he wants to make more than Atlanta is willing to spend, they get something rather than nothing.

Its highly unlikely but- Atlanta would not want to match and he would have to really want to come to us.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
Why would Atlanta want any of those dudes?

Why would Atlanta want any of those dudes?
Its all about getting something rather than losing Collins for nothing.

Lou Williams is an unrestricted free agent. If he leaves, Clarkson could come in and more than replace his role.

Bojan would help spread the floor. They spent a lot on Gallinari so maybe they would want another guy like that.

Conley is a good player and helps that team and gives them Trae insurance. He could have a nice role there.

Maybe they see Favors as a quality backup for Capella.

I don't know, but Atlanta could see a couple of our quality vets on shorter, better deals being wiser than a near max on Collins.

Trae is due for about extension that will be huge.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Trade Favors for cap space. OKC and a handful of other teams could use him. And frankly, teams like OKC who have so many needs would be dumb to spend their 1st on a center imo given the antiquated nature of the position. It’s a league of slashing and shooting. They’d be better suited drafting players with such skills and filling the C by committee. IMO. This is thee most important move IMO. It frees up space and allows us to fill our gaps.

Draft Primo. We need more players like this. Guys who can dribble, penetrate, shoot and defend. He needs to become a better passer but the kid is super young and I see no reason that a kid with such a strong defensive iq can’t develop his passing skills. Especially if our training staff is so strong.

Buy a 1st and/or 2nd and draft BPA.

Offer Conley 3/55. If he declines which I assume he will, try to sign and trade him. If we can’t, move on.

Gobert and Mitchell need to full press Batum to sign with us. Given the drama that is LA, how close knit we are, and another Frenchie here in Gobert, I think he’d sign. Something like 3/45 with a TO after year two if possible.

Sign a PG. There’s a ton of them. UFA’s like Dinwiddie and Payne should be at the top of our list. There are other guys as well. But one guy not mentioned anywhere on the site who’s a RFA who’d be somewhere around 6th on my list who I’d pursue is Devonte’ Graham. He’s smaller. But he’s 25 y/o so he fits in with our timeline. And he hit 37.5% from 3 last year on 8.7 attempts per game. 5.4 assists per game. Had over 7 per game the year before. Guy is really nice offensively and small so not too dissimilar to Conley in that regard. A shaky defender but Charlotte sucks. With Gobert, Batum, O’Neale, Mitchell here so far as defense and leadership, I see no reason he can’t be a much better team defender. I think an offer of 3/33 might be enough to snag him. Charlotte already has Ball, Rozier and Monk in the backcourt. Hayward, Bridges and Washington up front. I don’t see Graham in their long-term plans. Another direction we could go is someone on the super cheap like Elfrid Payton who’s a good defender and is mediocre on offense. But Id

Sign Hernangomez. 2/6.

Graham-Bought 1st or 2nd
Mitchell-Clarkson
O’Neale-Ingles-Primo
Bogey-Batum
Gobert-Udoka-Hernangomez

What’s all this do? Gets us long wings in Batum and Primo who can defend many positions, handle the ball and shoot. Get us a lot younger. Sure we add Batum who’s older but he basically replaces Conley in that regard. With Favors going out though and additions such as Graham, Primo and the other 1st/high 2nd that we won’t whiff on with new management around, we have a nice infusion of youth and talent. Lastly, we add more ball handling. Graham, Primo, even Batum, and the other 1st/2nd I propose we draft a point guard or combo guard with, adds more guys who can run an offense and handle the rock.

I’m guessing we’d end games with
Mitchell
O’Neale
Bogey
Batum
Gobert

That’s a great ****ing blend of defense and offense with shooting galore.

Last edited:
I would rather keep clarkson. He fits dons timeline better and we really rely on his ability to create off the bench. Also bogey commands a larger contract and both will be about equivalent as far as interest from other teams goes.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
Exactly 60% move bogey, 40% move Clarkson.

If that’s how the NBA worked then I’d be for it. But players do what’s best for players, and teams should do what’s best for teams. The irony of it is, guys like Joe end up being traded in order to appease star players desires in most cases. Not that star players specifically request Joe or someone get traded, but for team improvement and the pressure the Jazz have on them with Donovan, the sentimental value of Joe will likely be put aside. I think Joe is actually the most likely guy to be moved.

If that’s how the NBA worked then I’d be for it. But players do what’s best for players, and teams should do what’s best for teams. The irony of it is, guys like Joe end up being traded in order to appease star players desires in most cases. Not that star players specifically request Joe or someone get traded, but for team improvement and the pressure the Jazz have on them with Donovan, the sentimental value of Joe will likely be put aside. I think Joe is actually the most likely guy to be moved.
Lol

I'm not sure why people want to move bogey or JC more than Ingles. Ingles was pretty much a shell of himself this entire season. We should be passing him up for an actual point guard
I honestly don't think Ingles would bring much back in a trade. He strikes me as a system guy, and I think other teams know he wouldn't play as well for them. Plus yeah, he's aging and didn't play well last year.

There’s no lol about it. It’s exactly why things happen on multiple fronts. It’s also career defining for other guys when stars request trades. Teams should always do what’s best for the team. Joe also has value in a couple ways, and should be moved for a need if possible. I’d rather move Joe than JC or Bogey, or even Royce. I think Royce is another guy, but I think Royce is less touchable.

I honestly don't think Ingles would bring much back in a trade. He strikes me as a system guy, and I think other teams know he wouldn't play as well for them. Plus yeah, he's aging and didn't play well last year.
His expiring $14 million contract has value as well. I haven’t looked through teams, but if a teams looking to dump $14 million in salary after next season that is value to them.

Case for keeping Ingles over Bogey and Clarkson:

(1) Versatility. Ingles is a more versatile player than Bogey and Clarkson. Can play and guard positions 1-3;
(2) Return. We won’t get the return for Ingles we would for Bogey or Clarkson
(3) Sentiment. Ingles is a Jazz lifer;
(4) Expiring. If things go bad next year, Ingles is already expiring and can be moved at the deadline or just allowed to expire and retire.

If I am wrong on (2), I’m in for moving Ingles.

His expiring $14 million contract has value as well. I haven’t looked through teams, but if a teams looking to dump $14 million in salary after next season that is value to them.
I say this every time it’s brought up, but an expiring contract is only valuable to be dumping salary you don’t want. For at least 15 years we’ve convinced ourselves that our guys will have value at the deadline, despite (I believe) having never traded an expiring player and gotten value because they were expiring.