What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

I do not know the dude, what is exactly is he?
Seems to be a poor man’s Marc Gasol from the highlights I’ve seen. Not sure this is the archetype of the player we need. Maybe he is replacing the Niang minutes. No idea what the point of this is.

Maybe they think Mooney is our small ball 5?

Last edited:
This isn’t that hard @utahjazz draft long athletic wings as much as you can ffs
It isn’t hard, but I have zero confidence in them not f***ing this up. The names I’ve seen us linked with for the draft are honestly very concerning. Slow, fat body bigs, and small undersized guards. I mean, for ****’s guys.

We honestly should not be working out a single player that isn’t between 6’5 and 6’8 and that defend like hell. That’s the only criteria. Shooting is a plus, but not a necessity.

Last edited:
Saw this too, don’t know much about him either. Perhaps they’re doing a mini-camp this week?

Reminds me of a bigger version of Niang. Wouldn't hate it if he ends up being the Niang replacement on the cheap and to come in and be an end of the bench guy

After watching one two minute highlight and looking at his basketball reference I have decided he is the Kevin Love of Australia... they also called him MoonDawg a nickname I think I can get behind.

I have decided he can have Matt Thomas’ roster spot.

Mooney doesn’t remind me of Niang. I think he’s a traditional 4 that can shoot a little. He has actual power forward size. Likely not nearly as good a shooter but seems like a good rebounder.

It’s good they are looking at some of these international options. There are likely some gems over there and we’ve had some success doing that. Would have loved to nab Tate last year before Houston got him.

I mean, if we are planning on just purging the end of the roster (which I hope we are), then I’m okay giving this dude a developmental spot.

But even if we assume this guy’s skills translate to the NBA, there’s nothing there except maybe rebounding that addresses any of the reasons we got out in the second round. The guy covering the NBL that responded to Tony’s post pointed out that this guy got targeted on defense by NBL teams.
We need stoppers, not more liabilities on that end! Did will get cut to ribbons in the NBA.

Sigh.

Last edited:
After watching one two minute highlight and looking at his basketball reference I have decided he is the Kevin Love of Australia... they also called him MoonDawg a nickname I think I can get behind.

I have decided he can have Matt Thomas’ roster spot.
Mooney is Jack Cooley with talent and ironically he went to Notre Dame as well. He led the Australian League in rebounding and in double doubles. He shot a good percentage from 3, was voted first team in that league and played on Bryce Cotton's team. He is going to play on the Buck's Summer League team and played on an AAU team in Florida with his best friend who is Billy Donovan's son.

It isn’t hard, but I have zero confidence in them not f***ing this up. The names I’ve seen us linked with for the draft are honestly very concerning. Slow, fat body bigs, and small undersized guards. I mean, for ****’s guys.

We honestly should not be working out a single player that isn’t between 6’5 and 6’8 and that defend like hell. That’s the only criteria. Shooting is a plus, but not a necessity.
A minimum-level of shooting is always a necessity (specifically within your criteria and considering that the Jazz already have a superfluous amount of players that can’t shoot).

Last edited:
I’m not going to look up Mooney’s defensive ability, but he sure doesn’t look like a mobile defender. I’m not sure what roster issue he’d be solving. The issue that killed the Jazz was not the lack of a stretch-5, it was the Jazz’s inability to solve a switchable 5-out lineup on defense. I don’t see how this dude does that or how he’s any closer to that than is Morgan, some draftee, or flotsam in free agency.

But if it’s a purge of the bench then sure, let’s take a look.

I mean, if we are planning on just purging the end of the roster (which I hope we are), then I’m okay giving this dude a developmental spot.

But even if we assume this guy’s skills translate to the NBA, there’s nothing there except maybe rebounding that addresses any of the reasons we got out in the second round. The guy covering the NBL that responded to Tony’s post pointed out that this guy got targeted on defense by NBL teams.
We need stoppers, not more liabilities on that end! Did will get cut to ribbons in the NBA.

Sigh.
Tony’s post said the DEFENSE targeted him. As in, they were game-planning specifically to stop him, and couldn’t.

Sigh.
I don't think you read that right. Other teams were throwing the kitchen sink at them to defense Bryce Cotton and him. Cotton was MVP of the league.