Jazz select Justin Wright-Foreman with the 53rd pick

mellow

Did Lindsey and Zanic finally figure it out?

Jazzfans like players with the underdog/they counted me out story. High character, (no tripping incidents) with upside.

Ron Mexico

Contributor
I like the pick. We need guards that can shoot lights out and get their own shot sometimes off the bench.

Bring him in with Ingles and Favors. Those two run their pick and rolls and he should be open for threes. If Exum is healthy he can play with this unit as well.

seattlejazzfan

Seems like a gunner. He's gonna have to learn how to play while not being the primary option.
Depends on how one defines the term, gunner. To me, gunner has a negative connotation as somebody who just jacks up shots, bad shots with no regard for winning or efficiency.

JWF's TS% was 63% and eFG was 59%. When a guy is that efficient you want him shooting every time down the floor because when a dude is scoring that many points as is that efficient, you will win a lot of games.

jazzfan1971

I thought I saw some good and bad.

Bad: Terrible shot selection. He tries those contested shots in the NBA it's going to be a block and headed the other direction. He also dribbles into a lot of midrangers. I think in the NBA he's going to have to focus more on the 3pt shot as his bread and butter. Defense will not be a strength.

Good: Some nice vision. He can penetrate and dump fairly well, and with guys with NBA hands to pass to I think he will look a lot better in this area. (I thought his passes looked much better than the players catches)

I'd say maybe upside of a Isiah Thomas (the more recent one), but a really low floor, and I'm guessing his game won't translate very well myself, Neto will prove to be much better when healthy.

Eminence

I'm not too worried about his defense (not that he's a real promising defender either), he had a huge load at Hofstra on offense. Interesting that he/Brantley were teammates for that college 3x3 tourney.

seattlejazzfan

Bad: Terrible shot selection. He tries those contested shots in the NBA it's going to be a block and headed the other direction. He also dribbles into a lot of midrangers. I think in the NBA he's going to have to focus more on the 3pt shot as his bread and butter. Defense will not be a strength.

Good: Some nice vision. He can penetrate and dump fairly well, and with guys with NBA hands to pass to I think he will look a lot better in this area. (I thought his passes looked much better than the players catches)

I'd say maybe upside of a Isiah Thomas (the more recent one), but a really low floor, and I'm guessing his game won't translate very well myself, Neto will prove to be much better when healthy.
I think you have to give him a higher ceiling than IT simply because IT's wingspan was 6'1", where JWF's is 6'7". That is a monster difference.

I'm not saying he'll be as good as IT, but if we're talking ceilings and floors, the WS - with all other things being equal- has to give JWF the edge.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Depends on how one defines the term, gunner. To me, gunner has a negative connotation as somebody who just jacks up shots, bad shots with no regard for winning or efficiency.

JWF's TS% was 63% and eFG was 59%. When a guy is that efficient you want him shooting every time down the floor because when a dude is scoring that many points as is that efficient, you will win a lot of games.
This
Steph curry, Damian Lillard, harden, etc could be referred to a "gunners"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

Should have probably included that he is a great shooter as part of the "good" portion of your post

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I think you have to give him a higher ceiling than IT simply because IT's wingspan was 6'1", where JWF's is 6'7". That is a monster difference.

I'm not saying he'll be as good as IT, but if we're talking ceilings and floors, the WS - with all other things being equal- has to give JWF the edge.

I think IT was a damn good athlete... not sure on this kid. I think you hope for a rich man's Yogi Ferrell. There is a place for smallish guards that can create and make shots... seems to have the body to be a good defender if he really wants to.

seattlejazzfan

I think IT was a damn good athlete... not sure on this kid. I think you hope for a rich man's Yogi Ferrell. There is a place for smallish guards that can create and make shots... seems to have the body to be a good defender if he really wants to.
I would say JWF is also a damn good athlete. Athleticism is a definite strength for him. Gets on top of the rim with ease.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I would say JWF is also a damn good athlete. Athleticism is a definite strength for him. Gets on top of the rim with ease.

With IT it wasn't just jumping though... it was elite change of speed and direction... the kid might have it... but IT was something else. I don't know enough about him to make a competent judgement just think we should be careful comparing him to a dude who was an all-star... even though they were drafted in the same range.