What's new

Jazz select Justin Wright-Foreman with the 53rd pick

I thought I saw some good and bad.

Bad: Terrible shot selection. He tries those contested shots in the NBA it's going to be a block and headed the other direction. He also dribbles into a lot of midrangers. I think in the NBA he's going to have to focus more on the 3pt shot as his bread and butter. Defense will not be a strength.

Good: Some nice vision. He can penetrate and dump fairly well, and with guys with NBA hands to pass to I think he will look a lot better in this area. (I thought his passes looked much better than the players catches)

I'd say maybe upside of a Isiah Thomas (the more recent one), but a really low floor, and I'm guessing his game won't translate very well myself, Neto will prove to be much better when healthy.
Should have probably included that he is a great shooter as part of the "good" portion of your post

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think you have to give him a higher ceiling than IT simply because IT's wingspan was 6'1", where JWF's is 6'7". That is a monster difference.

I'm not saying he'll be as good as IT, but if we're talking ceilings and floors, the WS - with all other things being equal- has to give JWF the edge.

I think IT was a damn good athlete... not sure on this kid. I think you hope for a rich man's Yogi Ferrell. There is a place for smallish guards that can create and make shots... seems to have the body to be a good defender if he really wants to.

I think IT was a damn good athlete... not sure on this kid. I think you hope for a rich man's Yogi Ferrell. There is a place for smallish guards that can create and make shots... seems to have the body to be a good defender if he really wants to.
I would say JWF is also a damn good athlete. Athleticism is a definite strength for him. Gets on top of the rim with ease.

I would say JWF is also a damn good athlete. Athleticism is a definite strength for him. Gets on top of the rim with ease.

With IT it wasn't just jumping though... it was elite change of speed and direction... the kid might have it... but IT was something else. I don't know enough about him to make a competent judgement just think we should be careful comparing him to a dude who was an all-star... even though they were drafted in the same range.

With IT it wasn't just jumping though... it was elite change of speed and direction... the kid might have it... but IT was something else. I don't know enough about him to make a competent judgement just think we should be careful comparing him to a dude who was an all-star... even though they were drafted in the same range.
I want to make it clear I'm not comparing the two as players, just athleticism. And just talking ceiling. If JWF becomes Ferrell, it will be a major success.

In the highlight video I watched he was soaring through the air for 2 handed dunks. Looked way more athletic than IT (at least as far as getting up is concerned).

In the highlight video I watched he was soaring through the air for 2 handed dunks. Looked way more athletic than IT (at least as far as getting up is concerned).

IT could get up, he was just short.

Dude played with elite change of direction though, could start and stop on a dime. That's more important for a guard than having great hops, imo.

So can he learn to play as a complimentary piece?
He not only has the talent on the court, he has a head for the game. He will do what the team requires of him and he will do it well. I stress in the other thread how fine a player JWF is. I stress here how fine a team player he is. When he was dropping 30 points it wasn't out of Westbrick-selfishness. Wright-Foreman would drop 30 because that was required of him on some nights. On others he would feed. There was a kid on Hofstra named Bernardi who was an uncanny lights out three point shooter and JWF knew when that guy was on --- feed the beast!

Wright-Foreman is not a me-me-me head case. He is a top basketball player who can be a star or a complimentary player. He will do what is required to win. A coach's dream. A teammate's dream. A fan's dream.

He not only has the talent on the court, he has a head for the game. He will do what the team requires of him and he will do it well. I stress in the other thread how fine a player JWF is. I stress here how fine a team player he is. When he was dropping 30 points it wasn't out of Westbrick-selfishness. Wright-Foreman would drop 30 because that was required of him on some nights. On others he would feed. There was a kid on Hofstra named Bernardi who was an uncanny lights out three point shooter and JWF knew when that guy was on --- feed the beast!

Wright-Foreman is not a me-me-me head case. He is a top basketball player who can be a star or a complimentary player. He will do what is required to win. A coach's dream. A teammate's dream. A fan's dream.
*complementary :)